News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What are the best video game soundtracks?

Started by ComSoft6128, 17:08, 20 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Gryzor

mr.freeze

It's not a mixtape but I really like the soundtrack of Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon Deluxe (1994) by John Broomhall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTi6LG8aeK8

andycadley

A best soundtrack list without any Castlevania at all? I think that's probably blasphemous.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr.freeze

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: TotO on 17:21, 23 July 20
The SID sounding the less worst is DELTA !

After worst comes wurst! In German!  8) :laugh:

Gryzor

When did this become "post your fav SID tunes"? :D

tastefulmrship

They call me Mr Digression.... this isn't even a game SID! ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kijv4eQiQkc

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:23, 24 July 20
When did this become "post your fav SID tunes"? :D
Well, because "Best Video Game Soundtracks" and "Best SID Soundtracks" are synonymous  ;D

TotO

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 17:50, 24 July 20
Well, because "Best Video Game Soundtracks" and "Best SID Soundtracks" are synonymous  ;D
I don't like the nasal sound produced by SID music in 80s. I prefer the sound produced by arcade and console systems, where the OST are mostly better. Now, because we are on cpcwiki, may be the question was related to our beloved system?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 17:50, 24 July 20
That's a bit silly. Sure the SID was the better chip, but if that's the criterion, then we should probably drop everything in favor of cd-based studio soundtracks.

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: TotO on 18:05, 24 July 20I don't like the nasal sound produced by SID music in 80s. I prefer the sound produced by arcade and console systems, where the OST are mostly better. Now, because we are on cpcwiki, may be the question was related to our beloved system?

Well, it can do the slot / fruit machine AY simple square wave sound as well. It's just that it usually sounds much smoother because its a true analog synth.Sure, it's a matter of preference. But the SID can also sound harsh and metallic and squarish-wave-ish. It's just that most SID music programmers don't prefer that sound.

Don't know, but the question OT is in "other retro" and already had non-CPC stuff listed, so...

robbarton

Some of the best tracks, in my opinion, are on Hewson games: Exolon, Cybernoid II and Stormlord. But I also have that nostalgic soft spot for the bouncy Dizzy tunes (certainly the first four adventures that I owned, I didn't play any of the later ones until much later).

TotO

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 18:41, 24 July 20
Well, it can do the slot / fruit machine AY simple square wave sound as well. It's just that it usually sounds much smoother because its a true analog synth.Sure, it's a matter of preference. But the SID can also sound harsh and metallic and squarish-wave-ish. It's just that most SID music programmers don't prefer that sound.
It is why I'm speaking about SID music from 80s (commercial life) and not about the SID soundchip. I like a lot things does on C64 (mainly demo) from 90s and now.

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 18:41, 24 July 20Don't know, but the question OT is in "other retro" and already had non-CPC stuff listed, so...
You are right. I have not seen the section. :-\

sigh

trocoloco

One of the best video games soundtracks has to be Shadow Of The Colossus on PS2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmoYLtObCtY

and then this one has to be as well. The Scheme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9OR_TISYyI&list=PLFA2908C41A3DAC7F

Edit: How could I forget Follin brothers' overqualified for the job sound track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQlLl2j5THQ

Gryzor

Now let me pose the question of what constitutes 'best' when talking about an OST; is it because the tunes are great?

Because I feel that Rez and Child of Eden are two examples of *fantastic* soundtrack. I mean, we all (?) know the dynamism and fluidity and how the sound is laid down in Rez, building up as you play, but also Child of Eden - I remember finishing levels and feeling my heart beat at the tune's beat. That's pretty awesome in my book.

mr.freeze

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:08, 27 July 20
Now let me pose the question of what constitutes 'best' when talking about an OST; is it because the tunes are great?

To me, it's an album of songs that you can listen to in loop for hours without getting tired.

Or just one song, in fact. If I was the mayor of my city, I will order to broadcast in loop the song of Sapiens in the pedestrian area instead of the crappy local radio station (vote for me!) .

Gryzor

So, just nice tunes, that could basically exist without the game?

mr.freeze

I understand now. I would say yes but it is because It's been 20+ years that I don't play games so I can appreciate a game soundtrack but for the music only.

Now, I remember playing Shadow of the Comet on PC in 93 and the sountrack was excellent and really important to the ambiance.