News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What I do when I'm a bit bored...

Started by mahlemiut, 00:51, 22 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

mahlemiut

Last month, I spent time working on emulating the Husky Hunter 2 handheld in MESS.  This system has no floppy drives or HDs, so to get files on to it, you have transfer them via a null modem cable connected between it's RS232 port and another system.  Thankfully, MESS allows you to connect emulated null modem cables to an IP socket, so you can run two instances of MESS, and send data between them.

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93929#Post93929

But I had to do an awesome test, so remembering that Infocom adventures were CP/M, and the Hunter's OS is (mostly) CP/M-80 compatible, I decided to extract Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from a CPC disk (using managedsk via Wine), and put it on a PC disk (using editdisk via Wine) ready to transfer to the Hunter.  It easily fits into the Hunter's RAMdisk, and...

Quite playable, if you can stand using a small 40x8 window (you can move it about with Shift+Cursor keys).

Maybe I can knock out a step by emulating an RS232 interface for the CPC in MESS... ;D
- Barry Rodewald

robcfg

Hehe, I saw the news on the MESS forums, nice work!

Really interesting to see a CP/M program from the CPC running on the Hunter.

Needless to say that you can find pcb scans and rom dumps of several RS232 adapters here at the CPCWiki.

In case you cannot find what you need, just send me a PM.

Best regards!

Bryce

Wow, you must have sooo much spare time :D Good job though. So how can I get CP/M games running on my NC200?

If you need an RS232 interface for your CPC I probably have one somewhere here.

Bryce.

Gryzor

O! The geekines... :)       

mahlemiut

Just a quick update...  I can get the Amstrad terminal program to more or less work.  Can connect it to a Hunter and control it from the CPC.

Not quite perfect, but functional.  Other software seem to not like MAME Z80DART emulation, though, certainly HoneyTerm uses the unimplemented Tx Underrun status bit.  But it's a start. :)
- Barry Rodewald

mahlemiut

Little bit more progress... fixed the z80dart a bit to get CP/M to detect the serial interface:

Controlling the CPC from the Hunter is a little different... :)
- Barry Rodewald

arnoldemu

This is what I love about MESS, the way you can run two instances of a computer and they can communicate.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

remax

Yeah! Love for the CPC driver in MESS! Il like it :)
Brain Radioactivity

joska

Quote from: mahlemiut on 00:51, 22 April 14I decided to extract Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from a CPC disk (using managedsk via Wine)

Sorry to hijack this (old) thread, but how do you run ManageDsk under Wine? I've had no success with that (Ubuntu 14.04).

mahlemiut

Quote from: joska on 20:29, 07 July 14
Sorry to hijack this (old) thread, but how do you run ManageDsk under Wine? I've had no success with that (Ubuntu 14.04).
For me, it just works.  Using Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.4 (too lazy to upgrade ;)).
- Barry Rodewald