News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What Retro/Vintage gear couldn't you live without?

Started by Badstarr, 08:09, 22 December 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Badstarr

Just a random musing... We all love the CPC, that's a given  ;D , however, I wonder if like myself anyone has other Vintage or Retro kit that they would never want to give up? Not necessarily computer gear. I for example have several CPCs that I would never want to loose and a very early Atari ST Mono but I rarely use that these days but it's nice to know its there.

As for other - none - computer stuff I own a set of Warfedale Linton 3XP HiFi speakers that have been in my family for years! The first time I probably ever heard music was through those very speakers. Music just sounds plain wrong through any other speakers. One of the voice coils died in one of the drivers I couldn't bear to listen to music on anything else so I managed to track down a suitable replacement cone and happily they are all working again! I also have my 1980's car a Sunny Coupe and a Westone Thunder 1A Guitar from the 1980's that beats my Fender Stratocasters hands down. So it seems I have a bit of a fondness for the 80's and didn't notice.

So how about you guys? What retro kit do you hang doggedly on to?
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

I have an original Rolf Harris Stylophone Type A and a Game & Watch (Octopus) in it's original carton and of course many different 8-bitters from Atari / Commodore / Acorn and a few PSION 3a, 5mx etc. I also have some 80's electronic test gear that I still keep working and use regularly. Oh, and the wife, she's actually a 70's model, but I like to keep her in good working order too :D

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Badstarr on 08:09, 22 December 11
.... and a Westone Thunder 1A Guitar from the 1980's that beats my Fender Stratocasters hands down. So it seems I have a bit of a fondness for the 80's and didn't notice.

Guitars: I only say Martin! That's all you need.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

robcfg

beaker

My MGB roadster, the original one and not that raised for the American market, plastic bumper version. It doesn't need an NCT, tax is €40 per year and I get classic car insurance but the best part, no driver aids. Does the Toyota MR2 count as well? I've owned it for 13 years from almost new and wouldn't ever sell it.

I got "talked" into buying a more practical new Fiesta last year on the scrappage scheme and I hate it with a passion. There's no feedback so I have no idea how much grip I have, the car bounces down the Irish roads so it's never where I want it to be when I enter a corner so it's only used for the pets.

Beaker

khisanth

my Commodore 128 with a copy of Wizball for it.  ;D

An amstrad is a given of course.

ralferoo

I'm still using my Dad's multimeter that must be getting on for 40 or 50 years old. I remember it being pretty old when I was allowed to use it as a kid 30 years ago.

I bought a newer (digital) one recently, but it's too slow to use as a continuity checker whereas the analogue one is pretty much instant (and you can kind of hear the needle moving too as it settles)

Badstarr

Some good replies! I have to say Beaker I'm with you on the drivers aids (well nearly 100%) my car has no drivers aids i can feel the quality of the grip when cornering it makes the driving experience far more instinctive usually I can make my car go stop and turn exactly the way i want. I say "usually" as unfortunately i had my wheels lock up at low speed and for the first time ever I braked too hard out of panic and bumped into another car  :( My first crash. Fortunately no damage to my car though the other car had a rather noticable dent  :(

I also hate the fiester for the same reason. I rented one when my car went in for its MOT. The brakes were either all or nothing steering was vague and would not center causing the car to drift. It was horribly slow and the clutch biting point was 1 mm from the top of the pedal! Fuel economy was horrendous too! I took it back the same day it felt dangerous even though it was brand new!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

beaker

Sorry to hear about your crash, I almost had the same a few weeks back in the MGB as I was driving down a tight country lane (in Ireland they have moss and grass growing in the middle of the road) coming around a corner and there was another car coming in the other direction. I moved over as far as I could and braked but the wheels immediately locked up on the wet moss. Fortunately we were both going slowly enough and there was enough distance so I ended up pumping the brakes until I found some grip. I take your point though; ABS is one driving aid that works well.

What are you driving?

I totally agree with the driving experience - mid-engine car, coming up to a tight corner, fling it into 2nd gear, let the engine torque slow you down then as you're coming out of the corner bury your foot into the accelerator pedal and feel the tires grip as the engine delivers up 200bhp as you're thrust out of the other side, quickly slam it into 3rd at 60mph, 4th at 95mph then 5th at 120mph and smile inanely. The MGB is 35 years old so I treat it with a little more respect and it's more for cruising and exploring the Irish countryside in the summer.

Badstarr

Hi, Beaker, to answer your question about my car, it's a Sunny Coupe, not  as glamorous as a MR2 but it does look a little similar to the mark one version  :) . I always wish they'd called it the RZ1 like they were going to as it looks nothing like a Sunny really. It's not the fastest thing on the road but it is very light and low very nimble with about 100 bhp and if you thrash it, it is capable of reaching 60 a shade over 7 seconds. Something I've put to the test a few times but these days like with your MGB, I prefer to be gentle with it as I know there are only 19 examples of my car left!

Strangely enough I had really horrible drive home from Witby a couple of days ago. My car usually really comes to life on twisty hilly roads but in the rain it felt like my front tyres were made of soap! Having spun round 2 weeks after having new tyres and tracking done and shortly after that crashing due to skidding at about 20 mph I had had enough and took the car straight to the garage that did the work. They had a look and told me that the tracking was out and the inside edge of one of my tyres was completely worn off! They claim that they didn't do the tracking now! Good thing I kept the receipt! I'm gunna have to kick some ass! GRRR!!!

beaker

Hi Badstarr, yeah I do like the squared off looks of those 80's cars like the Toyota AE86 used in the Initial D manga series  :D
19 left, cripes! Apparently there are still 12,000 MGB's registered in the UK last year (http://howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=mg) and 5,000 odd MR2's so definitely keep you one safe! Sounds like garages are the same everywhere. My sister took her car to Kwik Fit in the UK a while back and they bodged a repair that caused over £1,000 worth of damage by wrapping sensor cables around the exhaust pipe and then denied all knowledge. Fortunately my Uncle knew the owner of the chain and so we ended up contacting him directly and got it sorted. When I had a BMW 520 I took it to a dealership for some work and driving it back I noticed a knocking sound - turned out they didn't do up the wheel bolts. The Sierra I had I took to a dealership for a new head lamp lens and they forgot the seals so I woke up the next morning with water in the light. My MR2 I took in for a service and they drove it into a wall. Basically I now stay clear of any dealerships and I find a local garage I can trust.
Beaker

Ynot.zer0

I took my 1954 'retro/vintage' ride to the garage for some new roof lining..... and look how it has ended up!    :P

p.s. that is actually my car and I did ask them to chop it up / about etc... it should look very coooool later in the year.. was pondering fitting a CPC 464 keyboard that slides out of the glove box....  8)

Bryce

Wow, very nice. Don't forget to ask them to add a towbar to pull the petrol station around behind you :D

Bryce.

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Bryce on 09:38, 05 January 12
Wow, very nice. Don't forget to ask them to add a towbar to pull the petrol station around behind you :D

funny you should mention that... it has a 4Ltr V8 ready to go into it... 18mpg... (6 Km per Ltr(?) for you foreign chaps), so I've been investigating electric engines and potential future upgrades...

and then I lost umpteen hours of time watching this
awesome electric car

errrr...hum... back to the thread title : I use a 1920's vintage valve radio to listen to the radio during the day! It looks good too!

Bryce

Actually here in "Foreign places" we use the Litres per 100Km system (which is a nightmare to convert from one to the other in your head) :D

Bryce.

ralferoo

Quote from: ynot.zer0 on 20:57, 05 January 12funny you should mention that... it has a 4Ltr V8 ready to go into it... 18mpg...
I long for the journeys when I manage to get 18mpg out of my car... normally only get around 16mpg unless I'm doing some motorway travel when I might get 22mpg if I'm very lucky...  :o

Gryzor

Quote from: ynot.zer0 on 20:57, 05 January 12

errrr...hum... back to the thread title : I use a 1920's vintage valve radio to listen to the radio during the day! It looks good too!
Ah, do post a pic or two! I've got an ancient one myself, waiting for a couple of bulbs to arrive so I can get it working again - then I'll post a photo!