News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wonderful Dizzy

Started by Skunkfish, 12:02, 15 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Skunkfish

I wouldn't normally post about a Spectrum game, but Wonderful Dizzy will be out for 128K Spectrums this Friday and it looks... wonderful!

The first new Dizzy adventure game designed by the Oliver Twins in over 25 years!

https://www.olivertwins.com/wonderfuldizzy

I don't think I've even used a Speccy emulator in the last 15 years, but I will definitely be checking this out!

Is anyone else a little excited by this?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Skunkfish on 12:02, 15 December 20I wouldn't normally post about a Spectrum game, but Wonderful Dizzy will be out for 128K Spectrums this Friday and it looks... wonderful! The first new Dizzy adventure game designed by the Oliver Twins in over 25 years! https://www.olivertwins.com/wonderfuldizzy I don't think I've even used a Speccy emulator in the last 15 years, but I will definitely be checking this out! Is anyone else a little excited by this?

Yes, Me!
The remake of Crystal Kingdom on the Speccy a few years was the big reason why I went and bought a Speccy and a DivMMC and it really does a great job doing the game justice. I'm actually quite gutted that nobody managed to attempt to port it over to the CPC but it looks and feels like it fits in with the others, as the original Crystal Kingdom was an omnishambles clusterfuck of an attempt.

So this should be good. I'm going to hold off playing it until the following Tuesday evening... as I'm off work on Christmas holidays then. :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Skunkfish

I think I'll try out the Crystal Kingdom remake in preparation... I almost wish I owned a Speccy!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Skunkfish on 13:09, 15 December 20
I think I'll try out the Crystal Kingdom remake in preparation... I almost wish I owned a Speccy!

You can still pick up a +2 for a decent enough price, you can get SCART kits for it as well.
DivMMC's can be expensive enough, although there are some clones out there.

I've come around to the Speccy in recent years. Screw it, I think i'll give the remake a bash myself :)

Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Nich

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:20, 15 December 20
I'm actually quite gutted that nobody managed to attempt to port it over to the CPC but it looks and feels like it fits in with the others

I would also love to see the Crystal Kingdom Dizzy remake and Wonderful Dizzy ported to the CPC, but it would look rather lacklustre in comparison to the riot of colour that is the Spectrum versions. Red, white and green just isn't quite the same, and there's no way I would want to see it done in Mode 0. :(

Also, I don't know how to get in touch with the authors (and I don't mean The Oliver Twins ;)).

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Nich on 21:02, 16 December 20
I would also love to see the Crystal Kingdom Dizzy remake and Wonderful Dizzy ported to the CPC, but it would look rather lacklustre in comparison to the riot of colour that is the Spectrum versions. Red, white and green just isn't quite the same, and there's no way I would want to see it done in Mode 0. :(

Also, I don't know how to get in touch with the authors (and I don't mean The Oliver Twins ;) ).

I dunno man, I'd take red, white and green over the abortion that was the Mode 0 version that originally came out. It's called sacrifice :D

zeropolis79

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:10, 17 December 20
I dunno man, I'd take red, white and green over the abortion that was the Mode 0 version that originally came out. It's called sacrifice :D

I'd agree with you on that point. In my opinion, Dizzy just doesn't work in MODE 0..

I'd love to see both games come to the CPC as they should be, considering the CPC was Dizzy's birth machine.

As for Wonderful Dizzy, I've not played much of it today (been busy) but in all, it looks and sounds great.

DanyPPC

Yes, it's a great game on Speccy.
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Skunkfish

I'm enjoying the game so far, although the map is quite big and daunting to begin with! I imagine there might be lots of backtracking in order once I get a bit further... I think it compares favorably with the very best dizzy games.

andycadley

I had a brief go, it's pretty good though the controls are a bit odd and the map unnecessarily cumbersome to my mind, I think I'd have preferred it with a more traditional 2D layout.

A mode 0 Dizzy could be good, I think the problems with CKD run much deeper that just the graphical change, the actual game design was fairly awful too. Even better would be a GX version, with nice high-res sprites over a nice lush background.