News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Where are the retro-phone people?

Started by mr_lou, 07:34, 26 November 20

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

There are communities for almost all retro platforms out there nowadays. Big enough to still get new games, new applications and even new hardware.
Combined with what the experts say about medias: That the future will have all of them: Vinyl records, tapes, CD's, DVD's Blu-ray, and streaming. Nothing will die. Everything will stay in their respective groups. Then surely retro phones are also still alive somewhere out there?

So I gotta ask: Where are the retro-phone people hiding? The people who just refuse to use a modern smartphone, for whatever reason.

I can't seem to find any such group anywhere. But surely they must be around?
I see no reason why the same can't apply to retro-phones as any other retro platform. New apps and games can still be made, and even new hardware expansions too, if there's any interest in that. But even more fun: New custom firmwares.

Every now and then I scout the current mobile market to see if any new phone has been made that might interest me. Did so recently because I had to find out which model we should buy at work. But I never find anything of interest for myself. Thus I've been using an old Sony Ericsson for years, and yesterday I bought another old Sony Ericsson on eBay. In my humble opinion, nothing has ever beaten the good old Sony Ericsson feature phones.  :)

But where is everyone else who's into the old phones?  :)

dthrone

Well here's mine.  Never owned a smartphone.  There are others out there like me, I do occasionally come across them and it is definitely a bonding moment!

Gryzor

I had a SE feature phone (the one that was piano black and silver?) during my army service. It had a game with sheep you would fit around in cages IIRC, and due to the period I had it it may well be the single game I've played the most - ever :D

Quality-wise, it was crap, mobo died a few months in and from what I was told, this was a constant occurrence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_T610

Bryce

I was going to answer you earlier, but I was having problems connecting my Fuba (Philips) Porty to the internet. Yes, I really own one of these!

The retro mobile scene exists, but it's rather small due to the fact that many older phones will no longer connect to anything because they were only 1G/2G or even A-Net or C-Net. There are still some fans out there, some who even convert the phones to work on modern networks. However, most of them are just collectors because even a working phone is mostly no longer functional.

Bryce.

Porty next to a 3in disk for size reference. I was toying with the idea of converting this to 4G and L-ion, but never did it.
Edit: Forgot to add a link that might be useful: https://www.mobilecollectors.net/

Gryzor

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:30, 26 November 20
I had a SE feature phone (the one that was piano black and silver?) during my army service. It had a game with sheep you would fit around in cages IIRC, and due to the period I had it it may well be the single game I've played the most - ever :D

Quality-wise, it was crap, mobo died a few months in and from what I was told, this was a constant occurrence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_T610

The SE T610 was a nightmare for most JavaME devs. They all complained it was impossible to dev for because of bugs and weird limitations.
Because of this, I made sure our first two games worked on the T610.  ;D
Not saying it was easy, but it wasn't a nightmare.
As far as I remember, the T610 was actually Sony Ericsson's very first Java-enabled phone. Then game T630 which was an upgraded version. I think I had the T630 once.

Gryzor

Ah, the 630 was both an upgrade AND looked like a downgrade :D

Bryce

I had an SE T68 for a very short time (with plug-on camera). I later had a SE K800i, one of the nicest looking phones I've ever owned.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Hehe I didn't know about the plugin camera... that looks like a toy :D

I remember the K800 though, that one looked the part!

AMSDOS

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:34, 26 November 20

Combined with what the experts say about medias: That the future will have all of them: Vinyl records, tapes, CD's, DVD's Blu-ray, and streaming. Nothing will die. Everything will stay in their respective groups. Then surely retro phones are also still alive somewhere out there?

Forgive my intrusion, but what about VHS and Betamax?

I don't know if it's true, though an aquaintenance told me how a VHS made a better Audio medium from a Cassette tape, I guess because of the width? Though they still seem to be prone to damage despite having a protective door.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

dragon

My father work all this life in telefonica.

I have view/have all telephones released by telefonica even the more rare. Heraldos, formas, domos, tape cons
Testador, teide coins centralite for bars etc etc.plus adsl routers modems and so.

I have ever the lucky of view very old centralites from years 60 stored inside a modern Cobre/Fibre telefonica centralite.

Telefonica stop manufacturing telephones after the domo 3 with the internet auge.

Nobody wants today telephones.

I remember my first Internet connection was using the mobile of my father connect ed to my pc. I remember was a siemens mobile.

I remember connect to the telefonica intranet and I navegate free. At slowww speed :D .

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 10:10, 26 November 20
I had an SE T68 for a very short time (with plug-on camera). I later had a SE K800i, one of the nicest looking phones I've ever owned.

The T68i was my first Sony Ericsson phone. Freakin' awesome phone!!! Extremely nice built-quality, and lots of functionality.
I didn't have the camera. I did have an mp3-player plugin though, which I used a lot!  :)
I also used my T68i to remotely control Winamp via bluetooth, showing the playlist on the display. Extremely nice!

The K800 was a MIDP2.0 phone. All of SE's MIDP2.0 phones were awesome. Nice UI and fast Java execution. Intelligent predictive T9 dictionary unlike what I see in the new Nokia 3310. Seriously, the SE Java-phones deserve just as much praise as most of the retro computer platforms out there.

I want a retro revolution.

Bryce

I probably still have the T68 and plug-in camera if you want them.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 11:56, 26 November 20
I probably still have the T68 and plug-in camera if you want them.

I still have my T68i too.  :)
But no thanks. I just bought a Sony Ericsson Zylo from eBay yesterday, which I'm planning on using as my main phone when it gets here.  :D
Good price in UK! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Ericsson-Zylo-W20i-Chacha-Silver-Brand-New-Retro-Mobile-Phone-Unlocked/224237040367
Get yours today too!  8)

Gryzor

Damn, IT SLIDES!!! SO HAI TECH!

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:02, 26 November 20
Damn, IT SLIDES!!! SO HAI TECH!

DATS RITE!!!!! GET ONE NOW!

Bryce

And a mind-spinning 256MB of RAM to play with!!

Bryce.

Gryzor

VincentGR

I use this from time to time.

skylas

Had a NOKIA for 10 years, after 1.000.000 falls  ;D , the screen was not working! (the phone was working normally).
So I decided to replace it with another newer NOKIA, still refusing to have internet on the phone. 
I prefer to see mails/forums/facebook etc when i have time for that, and keep the phone for more serious issues. 
And, especially, I dont like at all to see people drink a coffee together and dont talk, but each one is looking in their phone.
Difficult not to have direct access to internet sometimes, but i prefer that. 
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

tjohnson

Quote from: skylas on 02:39, 31 December 20
Had a NOKIA for 10 years, after 1.000.000 falls  ;D , the screen was not working! (the phone was working normally).
So I decided to replace it with another newer NOKIA, still refusing to have internet on the phone. 
I prefer to see mails/forums/facebook etc when i have time for that, and keep the phone for more serious issues. 
And, especially, I dont like at all to see people drink a coffee together and dont talk, but each one is looking in their phone.
Difficult not to have direct access to internet sometimes, but i prefer that.
Yeah I agree, for years I avoided a smart phone but have had an android for about 4 years.  It can be handy but also annoying at times and I do find it taking up far more of my time than I should allow it.  I think I still have a Nokia in the loft.