News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Windows 3.1 in a webbrowser

Started by Devilmarkus, 22:47, 20 May 11

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:14, 23 May 11
Had no idea about Calmira. Awesome. But kind of useless?

The original Calmira from memory was fiddly to use (adding programs and stuff in with the shell) and wasn't quite to the same standard as Calmira 2, which is about as flexible as Win95 is in terms of intergrating your software into it and managing your control pannel. May seem useless in a webbrowser, though I had a bunch of 386s and even if have you've heard stories about people using Win95 on a 386, Win 3.1 on a 386 is heaps better than Win95, though Win 3.1 will always be better than Win95!  ;D 
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

redbox

Quote from: CP/M User on 02:13, 24 May 11
The original Calmira from memory was fiddly to use (adding programs and stuff in with the shell) and wasn't quite to the same standard as Calmira 2, which is about as flexible as Win95 is in terms of intergrating your software into it and managing your control pannel. May seem useless in a webbrowser, though I had a bunch of 386s and even if have you've heard stories about people using Win95 on a 386, Win 3.1 on a 386 is heaps better than Win95, though Win 3.1 will always be better than Win95!  ;D

Win95 has extended the life of many 'unusable' machines for things such as web browsing, email etc.

Would rather it had been Linux but peeps are used to Windows. 

Having said that, in my opinion (which I would hope is neutral in the OS wars) you just can't beat XP.  It's matured into a really stable and well used OS and to me it's the real winner of the desktop.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: redbox on 09:38, 24 May 11
Having said that, in my opinion (which I would hope is neutral in the OS wars) you just can't beat XP.  It's matured into a really stable and well used OS and to me it's the real winner of the desktop.

Well I would say the most stable OS (from Necrosoft) was Win2k
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Hadn't seen JDosBox, but it sounds like a lot of geeky fun :)

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:23, 24 May 11
Hadn't seen JDosBox, but it sounds like a lot of geeky fun :)

It's under development since december, 2010.
So it's progress is not very far yet, but really promising.
I am using it on retropower.eu with some additions from JavaCPC! (Keyboard translation for French, Spanish and German keyboards, and also adding a few more features to it) ;)

Bryce

Can you get it to run a CPC Emulator within Windows 3.11 ?

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Bryce on 15:46, 24 May 11
Can you get it to run a CPC Emulator within Windows 3.11 ?

Sure I can also get a CPC emulator working with MS-Dos, but its way too slow...

Gryzor

What would be the most convoluted way to emulate a CPC?

Virtual PC with MacOS running a Windows emulator running JDosBox? :)

AMSDOS

That's why I thought it would be cool to incorporate the PC version of GEM cause it's one of the few GUIs which is faster than Windows and will run effectively on something like an 8086 (unsure if it needs DOS Plus 1.2 or DR DOS 5 to be able to work properly, some variations of GEM do - the ones which came on some System Disks for use on an Amstrad PC1512 did though I think, others will run under any old DOS though).

Technically speaking XP is my favourite OS, I have used 2k a few times, though I didn't find it very USB friendly. Win 3.1 for the record though isn't an OS because it relies heavly on DOS and people debate about 95 being DOS dependant too!  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

robcfg

Hey, I managed to have a Windows XP, running Linux Mint 8 under VirtualBox, running RPCEmu with RiscOS 4.39!  8)

Now, where was that CPC emulator for RiscOS...  :D

Gryzor

Nice :) Mind posting a high-res image someplace else? Imageshack won't show the full version for me...

robcfg

Here you have it attached!

Gryzor

Lovely :) I should try that Amiga CPC emulator...

MacDeath

Then... is it possible to play a speccy port on a CPC emulator on an Amiga* emulated in win3.11 emulated in webbrowser in windowXp/Vista/Seven ?

As a Linux app of course... ?

*I also heard that Amiga could emulate the Atari ST, so why not having instead a speccy port on a CPC emulator on an Atari ST emulated on an Amiga emulated in win3.11 emulated in webbrowser in windowXp/Vista/Seven ? ??? (ok, no linux this time...but on a Mac)

Gryzor

I don't think the Amiga could emulate the ST, no more than the CPC could the Spectrum. Consider that the ST 68k ran at 8MHz, whereas the Amiga one run at ~7MHz... And I can't find a 3.11 emulator for the Amiga either.

MacDeath

Well, to emulate ST, just disable Hardsprites, Sound and all the extra feature, keep in mode 16 colour, tadam, you have an ST.

:D

I was more talking about advanced and late Amiga, not the Amiga1000 or 500...

Blurredman

Oh come on, get the real thing:

:P :P :P :P :P