News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Zip 100

Started by Bryce, 10:18, 19 December 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Doing some clearing out here and I've found my old (working) iomega Zip100 drive (Parallel port version) and a box full of discs for it. Has this ever been hacked onto any retro computers? Or do any retro fans still use these on their 386 / 486 / Pentium systems?... Or should I just bin the lot?

Bryce.

beaker

I heard you can use the SCSI version on the Amiga. Wasn't Sega looking at doing a Zip drive peripheral for the Dreamcast? - not sure if anyone's finished the project?

I think I have an external blue zip 100 external drive in my box o' junk in the loft with some disks as well but no idea what port it uses though. I keep it just in case  :laugh:

Bryce

That's the one I have too.

Bryce.

robcfg

They go quite good with an Acorn Archimedes, but having SD adapters everywhere, ZIP drives are a bit useless unless you want the full retro feeling.

I have a parallel and a USB Zip drive.

redbox

Quote from: beaker on 13:50, 19 December 13
I heard you can use the SCSI version on the Amiga.

The Parallel port version is just the SCSI version with a Parallel to SCSI adaptor inside.

Last time I used a ZIP drive was as the primary boot device on an old PC acting as a router.  BIOS booted to ZIP so no HDD was needed.

Often wondered if a CPC could talk to one (over a serial port or something) but given it's actually a SCSI interface I doubt it.

Gryzor

Had a LS120 myself, 20MB extra plus it could read normal disks. IIRC less bulky, too...

The LS120 properly got me into retro gaming. With a simple 33.6k line at home, mid-nineties, I would take the LS to the university and download ROMs left and right, for various systems. I would take back home maybe 240MB (WOW! MEGA BYTES!) each day...

ralferoo

Heh, I had an IDE ZIP250. Problem was everyone else only had a ZIP100 so I could only use the bigger discs at home as a backup... :(

As it wasn't portable I couldn't just take the drive with me either. When I left the job that had the ZIP drive at work, I just stopped using it and home too..

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 10:18, 19 December 13
Doing so clearing out here and I've found my old (working) iomega Zip100 drive (Parallel port version) and a box full of discs for it. Has this ever been hacked onto any retro computers? Or do any retro fans still use these on their 386 / 486 / Pentium systems?... Or should I just bin the lot?

Bryce.

I guess, but those drives can come in handy, especially on an old system when the Hard Disk decides to pack it in. I think a Zip100 drive would work in DOS, I've got the LS120 drives myself (one internal & one Parallel External), the External came in handy when my 61Mb Hard Disk failed on my 386 Laptop and while it's not as fast as the Hard Disk. Not sure if anybody adapted CP/M-86 to use it though, though I guess it's possible since people were able to patch v1.1 to allow for 1.44Mb Floppy Disks & More HD Space though the use of FIDDs (CP/M equivalent of TSRs).

You might want to try the Vintage Computer Forums cause someone might be interested in those Zip Drives there.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

Drivers aren't the problem, I have Windows XP drivers for the Zip 100 and I'm told they work on Win 7 too supposedly??!!

Bryce.

Vandalsk

Next Days, i will try to connect a zip 100 Drive to my good old Sinclair PC 200.
- Schneider CPC 6128 & 3,5" Floppy, Multiface II, Videodigitizer, Symbiface II, Dobbertin Ram Expansion 512 Kb, Marconi Trackball, CPC Booster+, X-Board, X-Mem, HXC Floppy Emulator
- Sinclair PC 200
- Schneider PC 1640
- Atari STf
- Vtech Laser 310, 64 KB Ram, PI 20 Printer Interface,  LP 20 Lightpen, Laser JI 20 Joysticks, Erweiterungsplatine, PP40 Plotter, DD 20 5,25" Floppy, SANYO DM 2112 Monitor
Amstrad NC-100
Atari ST 1040
Amiga 500
Commodore C 64

Gryzor

I guess that's one way to connect one to an Amstrad machine... :D

Oh, and welcome Vandalsk!

Bryce

Quote from: Vandalsk on 15:41, 23 December 13
Next Days, i will try to connect a zip 100 Drive to my good old Sinclair PC 200.

Welcome Vandalsk and if you need any spare Zip 100 Disks let me know :)

Bryce.

Vandalsk

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:55, 23 December 13
I guess that's one way to connect one to an Amstrad machine... :D

Oh, and welcome Vandalsk!

Yes, i think so too, the Sinclair PC-200 is the same machine like the Amstrad PC 20 ( i hope so  :D )

... and cheers for the welcome!
- Schneider CPC 6128 & 3,5" Floppy, Multiface II, Videodigitizer, Symbiface II, Dobbertin Ram Expansion 512 Kb, Marconi Trackball, CPC Booster+, X-Board, X-Mem, HXC Floppy Emulator
- Sinclair PC 200
- Schneider PC 1640
- Atari STf
- Vtech Laser 310, 64 KB Ram, PI 20 Printer Interface,  LP 20 Lightpen, Laser JI 20 Joysticks, Erweiterungsplatine, PP40 Plotter, DD 20 5,25" Floppy, SANYO DM 2112 Monitor
Amstrad NC-100
Atari ST 1040
Amiga 500
Commodore C 64

Vandalsk

Quote from: Bryce on 20:23, 23 December 13
Welcome Vandalsk and if you need any spare Zip 100 Disks let me know :)

Bryce.

Thank you very much. For sure when i need help, i let you know  :)
- Sinclair PC 200
- Schneider PC 1640
- Atari STf
Amstrad NC-100
Atari ST 1040
Amiga 500
Commodore C 64

robcfg

Wilkommen an CPCWiki!

Frohe Weihnachten!

dcdrac

I had a pralell one wow that takes me back

Bryce

Wanna have one again? :D

Bryce.

dcdrac

Think I still have it somewhere and I had the 250 version as well

robcfg

I remember seeing a 650 or 750 Mb one on a street market. If it didn't look so destroyed, I'd have taken it...

McKlain

I still have my parallel zip drive and disks somewhere. I wonder if it still works or has already suffered the "click of death".

Bryce

Quote from: robcfg on 01:17, 02 January 14
I remember seeing a 650 or 750 Mb one on a street market. If it didn't look so destroyed, I'd have taken it...

Wasn't the bigger (750MB) version called Jaz?

As far as I know, if your Zip drive didn't suffer the click of death in the first year or so, then it won't ever. Mine still works fine.

Bryce.

McKlain

The Jaz drives were the ones with 1GB and 2GB disks.

The 250 and 750Mb ones were also zip drives.

Bryce

Wow, 1GB that's one 64th of the Memory stick in my pocket :D

I thought the Zip drives only ever made it up to 250MB, I didn't know there were larger capacities.

Bryce.

McKlain

Iomega also used the zip name for some CD writers (internal and external). They called them ZipCD 650.

robcfg

Here is some info: Zip drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were 100, 250 and 750mb versions.