News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

16KB ROM game compo - technical thread

Started by cpcitor, 12:56, 05 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Well, a 128 KB title would be probably one which is using 64 KB as V-RAM already. Which makes sense when doing a multiways scrolling.
On the other hand 64 KB are enought, even when using double buffering, you still have 24 KB (firmware stays ok) or 32 KB (firmware gets deleted) for the game.

And to compress an (up to) 32 KB game into a 16 KB ROM makes indeed sense in my eyes.

I guess this game compo is a source of motivation for me :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS

I guess this game compo is a source of motivation for me
Go for it man!!!

TFM

I try [nb]Damn it TFM!!! There is no such thing like trying, either you do it or you don't[/nb] it!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

fano

"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

TFM

Remembers me about one of these advertisments... What was it again...?

Ah!!!

Riot! Just do it!
TFM of FutureSoft

Octoate

Hi,
thanks to duncan_bayne, I have updated the SDCC / Code::Blocks example to support Linux, too. Now the Linux version also doesn't need "wine" to run the "hex2bin" utility, because I have added a native binary. I also changed the Linux Code::Blocks project to use the "Makefile" instead - hey, we Linux users don't need a GUI, a command line and "vi" is enough :-).
You can get the latest version from GitHub.
--

gerald

Quote from: Octoate on 23:35, 01 February 13
Hi,
thanks to duncan_bayne, I have updated the SDCC / Code::Blocks example to support Linux, too. Now the Linux version also doesn't need "wine" to run the "hex2bin" utility, because I have added a native binary. I also changed the Linux Code::Blocks project to use the "Makefile" instead - hey, we Linux users don't need a GUI, a command line and "vi"  :o is enough :-).
You can get the latest version from GitHub.

Emacs  :P !!!!

SyX

steve

Perhaps a rule for future contests is that the program must be fully developed and created on a cpc/plus?

TotO

Quote from: steve on 14:04, 03 February 13
Perhaps a rule for future contests is that the program must be fully developed and created on a cpc/plus?
No, because you can't check that.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

True; unless the dev also had a live vid stream :D But why anyway?

TotO

No need to reduce the participants by adding restrictions.

For convenience, most peoples use their PC with emulators.
The goal is to run to the target machine.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

While we're at it let's make devs sit on uncomfortable, non-ergonomic desks and use books to prop the monitor a bit higher :D

db6128

Quote from: steve on 14:04, 03 February 13Perhaps a rule for future contests is that the program must be fully developed and created on a cpc/plus?
Why?
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

steve

Quote from: db6128 on 20:56, 03 February 13
Why?

Just more of a challenge.
I am sure that on an 8 core PC with 64 GB ram and a modern high level compiler, the programs just write themselves :laugh: .

Bryce

[Sarcastic]
Yeah, that's exactly how it works. Just open a CLI and type: "Make cool CPC game ,assembly,  Target=C:\Coolgame.exe"

I use powerful computers to do the same in hardware. Try the CLI command "Create cool CPC expansion, TTL, RAMExp, s, c", great command. It's a amazing how creative 8 cores can be.
[/Sarcastic]

Bryce.

steve

The whole point of compilers on powerful hardware is to make software easier to write.
I remember in the late 70's there was a program called "the last one", as in the last piece of commercial software a user would ever need to buy.
Of course reality did not match the hype, but that was 30 years ago.

It's not the same for hardware because you are all hardware bods not programmers.  :laugh:

Bryce

The best software in the world will probably be able to make the job easier and automate certain tasks, but that isn't what makes a good game. Good games require creativity, and no software in the world can offer you that.

Bryce.

TotO

Sorry for the 8-core PC, but the CPC can't handle a 1MB "hello world!" nerd program...
Disqualified !!!  :-\

db6128

I don't think anyone organising anything like this would take the suggestion seriously, but count me as someone fully against it. Consider it in light of the fact that even many of the titles made during the CPC's original lifetime probably weren't programmed on it much or at all. I have no idea why someone would have a problem with tools that make development easier, prolong an architecture's lifespan, and expand both the boundaries of what it can do and the scene overall. Asking for development to be confined to the native system in real time is asking for stagnation at best.
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

steve

Well, it has already been said that there is no way of verifying how the program was developed, so that is the end of it, and I never expected people to react they way they have, maybe they thought I was suggesting that they should sacrifice their children to the programming gods. :o

TotO

Quote from: db6128 on 02:42, 04 February 13Consider it in light of the fact that even many of the titles made during the CPC's original lifetime probably weren't programmed on it much or at all.
Absolutly.

fano

Quote from: steve on 20:58, 03 February 13
Just more of a challenge.
I am sure that on an 8 core PC with 64 GB ram and a modern high level compiler, the programs just write themselves :laugh: .
That's already challenging enough to design and to write a decent program for the CPC, believe us  ;D
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Axelay

Quote from: db6128 on 02:42, 04 February 13
Consider it in light of the fact that even many of the titles made during the CPC's original lifetime probably weren't programmed on it much or at all.

There was PDS.