News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

256 Colour Mode

Started by Trebmint, 21:19, 03 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Wot, 256 colours AND a genlock by Xmas? Move over, Amiga! Have you set a price yet?

(ok, now I'm pushing it...)

rexbeng

Ah! I suspect you already know of someone who'd sit down and update every major software (game/demo etc) for using this expansion, then? ;D
rb

TotO

Overlay display on CPC is only interesting if adding a framebuffer with something like a blitter to draw it.
(something like 6bit colors + 2bit luminosity for handing lights, shadows and fading)

Else it will be definitively too slow for doing any sort of things...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

It probably couldn't even handle that :) My original plan was to add simple, single colour sub-titles to videos that I'd taken with a VHS Camcorder.

Bryce.

TotO

Sure I understand.
It's just about the overall concept applyed for a CPC. :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MacDeath

QuoteIt probably couldn't even handle that
My original plan was to add simple, single colour sub-titles to videos that I'd taken with a VHS Camcorder.
You should better use a Thomson TO8 for such purpose.

Thomson MO6 and TO8 have some extra video modes with such feature as a monocolour masked foreground to add on a video from a VHS/external channel.

MSX too.

Devilmarkus

Yeah  TO8 is nice... ;)

I improved a Java-TO8 emulator a bit (added sound, increased framerate)
http://retropower.eu/to8.php?zip=turbocup.zip&s0=turbocup.sap&key=143
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Ah the Thomson M06, always wanted one of those. It was as if the 464+ had an ugly sister hidden in the basement :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yikes! As if someone put a Coupe and a SharpSomething in a blender...

MacDeath

Yeay but they had the merit to actually exist and to be proudly "merde in France". :laugh:

Still, the MO6 have 128K of RAM... I wished Amstrad put 128K on the 464s too... (and 256K on the 6128... oh and a proper mouse too...)

on the other hand, those thomson had so many flaws compaired to the Amstrads... no proper sound (fucking beeper only), MO and TO not actually compatible (464 and 6128 are fully compatibles, the PLUS are somewhat compatible too with older CPCs).

but hey, get the MO and TO compatibles, get them with overclocked CPU (2mhz instead of one) and add in a sweet AY for sound and those MO6/TO8 could kick serious CPC asses. ;) 

Also I wished the CPC had some Nanoréseaux too...

QuoteIt was as if the 464+ had an ugly sister hidden in the basement
MO6 is not ugly... nor is the TO8D...
I happen to like its design, the white and grey and yellow (blue when Olivetti models) is quite nice looking actually.

Bryce

A "Nanoréseaux" for the CPC would be simple, just nobody has done it properly yet, but how many people would really use it today?

Bryce.

ivarf

Google translate translates that to nanoarray Huh...?

Bryce

Google translate is shite. Réseaux means network.

Bryce.

MacDeath

Ok guyes...
(wi, d'akor may zamiees...)

(Guiyes ?)

Nano-rèseaux...
Nano-network..
Nano-link.
Nano-link inside
Nano-internet for CPC ?

ok, I leave.

BTW bryce... from what I recall well...
Nanoréseaux had a special command for the TO8 (master réseaux) to get a whole RAM Bank/Ram Bank ?/yeah Ram Bank !... From a MO6 (slavv réseaux 464 équivalent quoi..?)

so few checkhands and lets get 16K banks swaped directly...

CPC could clearly use some whole 16K RAM/ROM/swaper at once...

So, why CPC is not that easier on the modern internet ?

(Nanoréseaux was conceptualised in whole as modern internet but in  80's french students in the earlyie/myddle 80's... as "Nano&réseaux"*
*french in language...
for freacking thomson 8bit computers...**

**haha damn britans we vere above you actually...***

***and all the rest either... german freuounds...****

****I mean Germans and Britons never designed things to run on a Thomson Machine, the French did... what a superiority.*****

*****yep, many beer had has have been consumed in the process...

TotO

TO and MO range of computers was not artactive since the first day.
I don't know people who what one. Just poor french computers made for french schools.

I remember that a main computer (sort of PC 8086) was linked to all MO/TO computers to load programs to the memory for students use.
No use of individual tape or floppy, but a "one shot" RAM programming by network.

Here the only interest of this system ; French schools to teach computing in 1985/1990...