News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Another CRPG in development

Started by Arnaud, 20:32, 06 February 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnaud

Hi,
i'm working on this project for more than one year, initially it should be a Pirates! clone for the cpcretrodev 2021.
But finally my game did not fit in single load for 64kb machine and was really too close to the original then i kept the engine for doing another game.

This game is CRPG mixing exploration and turn based fight, i am thinking about fer et flammes while making it.
For now, it uses disk and needs only 64kb for working, with a 128kb machine there will double buffering and maybe single load of all data in memory.

The whole map is in memory, and i'd like not to have disk access while walking.

This is a really preliminary version and a lot of work is needed, but i wanted to show something.

Arnaud

XeNoMoRPH

quite a surprise !!! I will follow you closely!  :o :o :o :o :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

manossg

Wow, this looks fab! Looking forward to your progress in this project!

Skunkfish

Looks great, I'm loving the different screen modes being put to good use at once :)
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

abalore

Did you think of making it for cartridge? All your memory limitations would be vanished and you could have bigger maps, more music, compiled sprites...

ervin

This looks absolutely excellent.
That's a very unique use of split screens!

TotO

Quote from: ervin on 13:02, 07 February 22
This looks absolutely excellent.
That's a very unique use of split screens!
Watching the screens remembered me a mix of Defender Of The Crown with North & South, and a mock-up I have done to redo the hero's selection in 2015, when the source code was released.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Arnaud

Hi,
i just made a video to present the fighting system in its current state :

ervin

@Arnaud Just wondering if this project has progressed?
More importantly, how are you doing?
Haven't heard from you for a while... I hope you are ok.

Arnaud

Hi @ervin,
all is OK thanks a lot :)

Well, well, once again, my project was too ambitious, then i restart it to a strategy game.
And i haven't got time to finish it for the last cpcretrodev  :'( .

But now, i'm in the testing part, and the game is almost coded. However there is still a lot of work left, and i haven't really play to my game.

ervin

I'm very glad to hear that all is well.
:)

This strategy game looks very interesting.
Are you generating the map from real-time map data, or are you plotting unit positions over a stored map graphic?

Will this be a 64 or 128K game?

Arnaud

Hi,
the map is generated at each new game.

And for now all fit in 64Kb.