News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Are there any games(apart fromadventures) produced using Mode 2?

Started by Puresox, 23:57, 01 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

This may be a stupid question, but I am interested in what  the pro's and con's of using each mode?
I have very little  knowledge and understanding of programming and computers, but I am interested in how it all works from a layman's point of view.

AMSDOS

There is!!  :)  Sadly I cannot remember the name of it, HELP!  :-[
It's on one of those websites which are still making games for the Amstrad - a bit of a shoot-em-up.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TomEtJerry

Hello,

MODE 2 is not a common choice for game developers on Amstrad :-).

- Skaal (commercial french game)
- Fres attack (shoot'em'up)

Well, I don't remember yet any other title...

T&J/GPA

AMSDOS

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 07:08, 02 October 11
Hello,

MODE 2 is not a common choice for game developers on Amstrad :-).

- Skaal (commercial french game)
- Fres attack (shoot'em'up)

Well, I don't remember yet any other title...

T&J/GPA

Fres Attack was the game I was thinking of, thanks!

For a period there I also thought the main playing screen in SWIV was MODE 2 until it was confirmed it was only a Speckie having a bad day. The other issue was if it had been it would of been doing some Vertical Mode Split which I think according to Richard Wilson would have required some clever and timely done programming. If SWIV did have a MODE 2 playing screen it would have been more likely to have a Horizontal Mode Split with the Status Bar on the Bottom or Top (wherever the split was changed).

The only other MODE 2 games I could possibly think of (besides adventures) are some generic BASIC programs written in CP/M. Running CP/M takes you to MODE 2 - 80x25 mode, in that there were some Arcade like games written in languages like MBASIC and CBASIC possibly. Totally generic in nature though so they aren't Amstrad specific, not ground breaking in other words!  ;D

Your Computer Programs

Puresox

Thanks I'll take a look at Skaal, I have not come across that yet.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

the full complete list of PCW games... are in Mode2.

If you want to see how if would look on CPC, just look at those...

To be fair, a Mode2 monocolour game is still better than a monocolor speccy port IMO.

The fine pixels just make the ditherings look like a 3rd colour... saddly it wasn't really used because...well to port into a proper Mode2 is the same amount of work as porting into a proper CPC mode1 (= 3-4 colours per characters)... which wasn't even optioned in those lazy ports.

Quoteuntil it was confirmed it was only a Speckie having a bad day.
:D nice one...

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:39, 04 October 11
The fine pixels just make the ditherings look like a 3rd colour... saddly it wasn't really used because...well

For my OCP I made pattern a long time ago. And on a real CPC moitor they look like 16 shades of gray (using black & white colors in Mode 2). You really can work with them.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AMSDOS

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:39, 04 October 11
the full complete list of PCW games... are in Mode2.

If you want to see how if would look on CPC, just look at those...

To be fair, a Mode2 monocolour game is still better than a monocolor speccy port IMO.

The fine pixels just make the ditherings look like a 3rd colour... saddly it wasn't really used because...well to port into a proper Mode2 is the same amount of work as porting into a proper CPC mode1 (= 3-4 colours per characters)... which wasn't even optioned in those lazy ports.

:D nice one...

Er, the PCW is a different Beast again which handles it's line of games differently when it comes to the Arcade games which run in CP/M. Though there are Graphical Adventures which run on a PCW will run on a 6128.
Those games are using GSX which is the Graphical System Extensions available to systems which support Graphics (not all CP/M computers supported this  :D ), GSX is a suite of routines a little bit like the Firmware, which handled System Specifics(??), though could make CP/M programs a bit more compatible. The Amstrad cheats a little though cause in CP/M-80 (or CP/M 2.2), it's using Firmware for the Programming Language Dr. Logo. In CP/M Plus though it is using GSX in that and other graphical programs like Dr. Draw also make use of GSX, so depend on 128k.

I've played the PCW version of Bounder though I'm unsure if it's more 2 or mode 1, that game itself on a CPC depended so much on Colour, in the PCW version it needs extra detail to make it recognisable for the Green Screen, so that might need a higher resolution to accommodate that particular game.

Your Computer Programs

voXfReaX

Hi,
More mode2 games can be found in the dedicated page of Sylvestre's website!
If you wanna have a look in mode2 start-screens (in GAMES), you can check here...

If you wanna check mode2 graphics in DEMOS, then check here and here
We speak,
voxy

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

No, it's sad because is wonderful site :( ..., but the google translator works great ;)

MacDeath

I see no problems with this site, it is completely understandable to me... ;D

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:52, 07 October 11
I see no problems with this site, it is completely understandable to me... ;D

Jo mei, wend'sd ez Du dei Muadaspraach sprichsd, nachad is des a woi klaar dassd des verstehsd.
Mia soin oiwei ois in Denglisch schreim und ez da dream seids a ohne zfriden. I glab so kemme ned zam.

For a translation ask MaV. Pay him in very good beers, but you will not get them everywhere ;-)

Ha! 2001 Posts dass muss gefeiert werden! Prost! Und schönen Freitag :-)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

MaV

Quote from: TFM/FS on 00:44, 08 October 11
Jo mei, wend'sd ez Du dei Muadaspraach sprichsd, nachad is des a woi klaar dassd des verstehsd.
Mia soin oiwei ois in Denglisch schreim und ez da dream seids a ohne zfriden. I glab so kemme ned zam.

For a translation ask MaV. Pay him in very good beers, but you will not get them everywhere ;-)

Right MacDeath, here's a - not quite literal - translation:

TFM/FS: "Oh well, when you're talking in your mother tongue, it's clear you can understand that. We're always supposed to write everything in Denglisch [nb]Denglisch: from Deutsch + Englisch = mixed German/English, in reference to our written English with the typical mistakes of a German native speaker[/nb], and you there are content without it. This way we'll never come together.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

Quote from: MaV on 09:36, 10 October 11
This way we'll never come together.

It rather means... It will not easily work out that way.

But the sense of my senseless words was just to make MacDeath to pay a couple of beers  ;D :P :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft