News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Arkos Tracker 2 BASIC support for music and sfx

Started by Targhan, 10:50, 21 November 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Targhan

I know a lot of people miss having music and sound effects in their BASIC games, either because the BASIC sound commands are too complicated/limited, or simply because they are too slow for real-time.

Good news, Arkos Tracker 2 now has a player to be used directly in BASIC! It will play any AT2 song "in the background" while your program runs. As for sound effect, a simple CALL and you can play any sfx on any channel!

You can read the tutorial on how to do that here. And there is a ready-to-use DSK included in the package. No need to compile anything! Just RUN it and have fun!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

eto

Awesome! It works perfectly.

So now I have to do some sound effects in Arkos Tracker as I can no longer use the normal sound commands. I hope I manage to do that :-)

Targhan

Great. Sfxs are easy to do in AT2, and much easier than with the SOUND Basic command :). Anyway, if you have any trouble, simply ask.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

eto

I wanted to add a toggle for music so the player can turn it off if it's annoying, but if I do that, also all sound effects will be muted.

Is that intended? What can I do to enable sound effects again after turning off[size=78%] the music?[/size]

Targhan

As stated in the doc, the sound effects are only played along with music (the sfxs are only a "layer" above the music player). What you can do is have a second Subsong with no music (one pattern is more than enough), and play it when you don't want any music. The only drawback is that if you put the "real" music on, it will start from the beginning.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime