News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PD BASIC files

Started by ComSoft6128, 13:07, 12 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Hi,

I've recently purchased a GOTEK from CPCSTORE and I've been looking at transferring some of the BASIC files I have here from the 3" drive A on the Plus to the GOTEK as drive B. Can anyone that downloads this file check that everything is OK?

Thanks,

Peter

CPCSTORE link:
https://www.cpcstore.co.uk/s/shop

Gryzor

Ah cool. Basically, .bas files are accepted as well 😉

ComSoft6128

GeoffB17

I've downloaded the file.

I note that the image is an 'Extended' image, not sure why that was needed.   You used the SAMdisk system to create it, maybe that defaults to the Extended format, rather than the simpler (smaller) variant?

I note that the image is of a CPC System Format disk, and contains 9 @ .BAS files total 97k, with 81k free.

I see that there are even more 'deleted' files on the disk, and I suspect that many could be recovered as the alloc blocks have not been re-used by the .BAS files.  The filenames don't suggest anything 'interesting', but OWL and OTTER might be worth a look only they're .SCR and I'm not sure I've got something that will display that format.   It was .SPC I was messing with recently.

Don't know if the .BAS files would be OK on my PCW system, I'll check that.  On one at least!!

Oh, forgot to mention.   The image opens within Joyce fine.

Geoff

ComSoft6128

Hi @GeoffB17 ,

The deleted files are from the original .dsk file "Amiga Art" which I emptied using ParaDos before transferring the files from the 3" drive. The .dsk file was then renamed on my laptop. As for Running the files on the PCW these are Locomotive BASIC files for the CPC but I would imagine you would know if there is a way to do this.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsHKP204YAU

GeoffB17

Just to complete the 'story', I should say that I expected that the files would NOT work, and sure enough, they do not.

If I try to LOAD them, nothing happens.   But no error or message?

Anyway, if I DUMP the file, they look normal encoded BASIC, including clearly CPC commands.   Pity, the EDITOR game looked unusual (about being the editor of a magazine).  If it was saved as ASC and didn't have too many CPC-only bits, could be worth trying.

Geoff

ComSoft6128

And on the CPC?

Any feedback?

AMSDOS

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 10:02, 13 September 20
And on the CPC?

Any feedback?

Didn't appear to be any issues with it in the online Emulator CPCBox and was able to play some Connect 4 and then the Magazine Editor.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Skunkfish

I wasted more time than I should have on the Magazine Editor game - I shouldn't allowed near those sorts of simulation/management games!   :D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

GeoffB17

So, might be worth making a PCW version of it.   Maybe even adding some extras - if it was published 1990 ish (?) that's 30 years ago, so now there could be an on-line version, and any cover disk would be a cover CD or now a DVD?   Or would it be better to leave it all totally retro??

Geoff

Skunkfish

I'd be tempted to add in multiple magazines covering different platforms and rival magazines to compete against!
And advertising revenue as a factor... And staff costs!

It may over complicate things though....
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Nich

Quote from: Skunkfish on 11:57, 15 September 20
I wasted more time than I should have on the Magazine Editor game - I shouldn't allowed near those sorts of simulation/management games!   :D

I played that Magazine Editor game a lot back in the day as well. It was a relatively small type-in that was published in Amstrad Action yet it was quite addictive to play (for me anyway).

GeoffB17

Any chance someone could save this Editor game as asc/text?   I'd be much obliged.   Try to get it working on the PCW.

I assume the usual method should work.   LOAD the EDITOR.BAS file, then SAVE "EDITOR.ASC",A using the different filename so it doesn't overwrite the .BAS file   Prob needs to be zipped to be posted back here.

And YES, THANKS, it IS a MASSIVE help that .DSK files can now be attached as-is!!

Geoff

ComSoft6128

ComSoft6128

Bugger it I'll do it now ;)

ComSoft6128

Bugger again!

This should be the correct file now.

GeoffB17

hello - thanks very much for trying, but it's NOT an ASC file, as in plain text.   It's still tokenised BASIC.

Most BASICs that I've used have the option to SAVE that way, using the SAVE "filename",A option.   It's the ,A on the end that does it.   Maybe the CPC BASIC is different?   Either you've not used the ,A, or CPC BASIC needs something else?

As you can attach a .txt file OK, it would be a lot easier to save as  SAVE "editor.txt",A - except that the forum needs it to be lower case, it doesn't like .TXT but does like .txt so it might help just to rename the file once it's on the PC?

Thanks again.

Geoff

Skunkfish

GeoffB17

Yes, this looks a LOT better.

File is actual plain text, so that's something to work with.

VERY interesting to see how small the file is, much less there than I'd have expected.   Yes, there are some CPC commands there, MODE, INK etc, but can soon replace them with something appropriate.

Get it working as-is, then fancy it up a bit, THEN think about adding things to it.

OOOps - sorry, didn't see the earlier 2nd attempt, but still in a .dsk file.   The .txt file is immed useable, the .dsk needs a whole set of extra steps to get at whatever's in there.

Geoff

ComSoft6128

This might help with converting the file to Mallard:

https://cpcrulez.fr/coding_basic-mallard_BASIC_to_CPC_BASIC__TAU.htm

ComSoft6128

Hi,

The attached .dsk file should mostly consist of BASIC files with the odd screen or binary files there as well.
These files will be coming out for distribution every few weeks or so for your enjoyment/examination.
As there are a few hundred(?) of these files to transfer I will make no attempt at categorization or explanation - I don't have the time!
With one exception - the file ALEC1.BAS was a joke played on the younger brother of a friend who knew nothing about computers.
The source of ALEC1.BAS like all the other files would have been the WACCI PD library or one of the other PD libraries "back in the day".

If you have any feedback please pass it along :)