News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BASIC Tenliners Contest 2015

Started by darkdog, 17:23, 27 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdog

"Write a game in 10 lines of BASIC!"
For the fourth time this is the motto of the programming contest on the occasion of the retro computer meeting NOMAM. In the years 2011 and 2013 the BASIC Tenliners compo was a small internal competition and the programs were made live at the meeting. In contrast, in 2014 contributions from all over the world came. And only one contribution was produced live at the meeting. Over ABBUC and AtariAge forums the incredible amount of 40 games from Australia, USA, Chile, Poland, United Kingdom and Germany rolled in.

This year we want to give the competition a new impetus by opening it; both in terms of legal systems, as well as with regard to authorized BASIC dialects.

Legal systems:
Atari 8-Bit
Commodore 64
Commodore 128
Amstrad CPC
Authorized BASIC dialects:
Atari BASIC (A8)
Turbo BASIC XL (A8)
Altirra BASIC (A8)
OSS BASIC XE (A8)
OSS BASIC XL (A8)
Commodore BASIC V2 (C64)
Simon's BASIC (C64)
Commodore BASIC 7.0 (C128)
Locomotive BASIC 1.0 (Amstrad CPC)
Locomotive BASIC 1.1 (Amstrad CPC)
Other BASIC dialects and computer systems are approved under the condition that the contributions will be presented by the programmer on the original hardware at the NOMAM (04.11.) in Lübeck.

Even if the fun of programming and the competition should be in the foreground, but a few rules are needed.

Contributions are accepted in three different categories:
Category "PUR":

Program a game in 10 lines (max. 120 characters per logical line, abbreviations are allowed)

Category "EXTREM":

Program a game in 10 lines (max. 256 characters per logical line, abbreviations are allowed)

Category "LIVE":

On 04/11/15 a programming assignment is made, which must be resolved within 2 hours
Further rules:
- No reloading of data or program parts
- Call of machine language programs are prohibited
- the 10 lines of the programm can not contain self-written machine code
- POKEing is allowed
- Deadline: Saturday 04/11 at 9 pm (Central European Summer Time) (Remote posts: Wednesday 04/08, 9 pm)
- Voting: Saturday 04/11 at 11.30 pm, then awarding
- Together with the program a text file should be submitted with the program description and instructions
- The programmers agree to the publication of the programs, the description and the instructions by the organizer
- Only physically Attendants may vote
- Remote contributions, however, are permitted provided they are received by Wednesday, 04/08 at 9 pm at GKANOLD-ät-GMAIL dot COM

Gryzor

Damn this should be interesting!

darkdog

There are some videos at yt of last year's entries. Search on "Tenliners". Also take a look at AtariAge for last year's entries (Sorry, only Atari Downloads, probably worth a look with an emulator?!)

EgoTrip

Can you clarify the rules regarding machine code? I am not allowed to CALL any, even though POKE'ing is allowed? So converting a machine code program to BASIC DATA statements is forbidden?

darkdog

Please no machine code. We want to show the power of BASIC on different 8 bit platforms. And I think Locomotive Basic is probably the most powerful of all.  :)

TFM

Quote from: darkdog on 17:23, 27 January 15
- Call of machine language programs are prohibited
- POKEing is allowed

Sorry, but this example and other rules show me a clear bias to the C64 systems. I can't call no frame, but I can use pokes because the c64 can't change color otherwise.

If you guys want to make a fair contest, then overwork the rules.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

darkdog

Commodore BASIC V2 is a very weak BASIC dialect and Locomotive BASIC a very strong one. Very difficult to proclaim a contest that is equal fair to all platforms. But hey, it's just for the fun. Please don't take it too serious.

And: we are on the same side, I'm not a c64 guy, I am an atari maniac  ;)

TFM

Atari is nice.  :)  But calls really should be ok. Because that can be used in all basics equally.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

darkdog

I don't know exactly what you mean.  For example FILL and PLOT are subroutines in the ROM (in the Atari). And you call these subroutines with the keyword FILL (in Turbo BASIC) and PLOT (in Atari BASIC and Turbo BASIC). Of course this is allowed. But writing machine code, poke it in the memory and then call it (with X=USR() in Atari BASIC) is not allowed.
If you want to call a ROM subroutine with the command CALL, I think it's allowed, but writing machine code and CALL it, is not allowed. I'm not sure I got your point...

TFM

Yeah, CALL is like SYS... IIRC. It's not about poking MC code. Which would make an own kind of competition.
:)
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Quote from: darkdog on 20:59, 27 January 15
Please no machine code. We want to show the power of BASIC on different 8 bit platforms. And I think Locomotive Basic is probably the most powerful of all.  :)

Does that include the use of Control Codes?

Some ROM subroutine (the Firmware) requires Machine Code to work (Loading of Registers), which presents the problem of not being able to write M/C Subroutine.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

darkdog

Let me say in other words:

darkdog

Maybe we need another category (next year ;D ): category "WILD": all is allowed?

AMSDOS

Quote from: darkdog on 10:27, 28 January 15
Let me say in other words:

ok. The control code situation I was referring to is slightly different to M/C where someone can Incorporate a Command from within a PRINT quote, sometimes followed by a number if the command needs one. Normally this is done via chr$(), but can be condensed into a control code and inserted into PRINT quoted statement, handy for things like PEN for PRINTing Multicoloured Text from a single PRINT statement.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

EgoTrip

I dont see why there should be any issue printing control codes, they are after all standard ASCII just like all the normal characters 32+.

So with the clarification, I assume it would be acceptable to CALL &BB18 to save bytes for a "press any key" routine?

I hope to be able to give this contest a go. If I do, it will be a remote entry though.

darkdog

Quote from: AMSDOS on 11:02, 28 January 15

ok. The control code situation I was referring to is slightly different to M/C where someone can Incorporate a Command from within a PRINT quote, sometimes followed by a number if the command needs one. Normally this is done via chr$(), but can be condensed into a control code and inserted into PRINT quoted statement, handy for things like PEN for PRINTing Multicoloured Text from a single PRINT statement.

Sounds ok.

darkdog

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:50, 28 January 15

So with the clarification, I assume it would be acceptable to CALL &BB18 to save bytes for a "press any key" routine?

Yes, that's ok.

TFM

That was my idea too. So we are all on the same page now.[nb]Frog protection![/nb]  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

darkdog

Thanks for clearing it.  :)

I've prepared a website with the rules and the newest entries. Too difficult to keep multiple 8 bit forums up to date...

homeputerium

EgoTrip

I don't understand the first rule "No reloading of data or program parts". Can you clarify this please?

darkdog

You are not allowed to store data on disk (or ramdisk) or tape and load it.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Sounds like a neat competition, and not bypassing the point with people embedded a small MC loader and loads of DATA statements! (although this was a favourite in the CPC magazines, I think I even saw one using some form of base32/64 instead of the usual hex).

Making use of the firmware, via calls, pokes or otherwise is fine of course. As is any character you can enter on the keyboard.

darkdog

20 entries so far:

Beitrag/Entry #1: Chase
Platform: Atari
Author: Holger "Rockford" Bommer
Language: Turbo BASIC XL
Category: PUR

Beitrag/Entry #2: Micronoid
Platform: Amstrad/Schneider CPC
Author: Markus "Devilmarkus" Hohmann
Language: Locomotive BASIC
Category: EXTREM

Beitrag/Entry #3: Get!
Author: Chris "atariland2600" Read

Beitrag/Entry #4: K1nderc0mp
Author: Chris "atariland2600" Read

Beitrag/Entry #5: Mini-Breakout
Author: Adrian Groves
Language: Atari BASIC

Beitrag/Entry #6: Hearts & Bullets
Platform: Commodore 64
Author: Vincent "Bytebreaker" Truppe
Language: Commodore BASIC V2

Beitrag/Entry #7: Hangman

Beitrag/Entry #8: Navigator
Author: "e5frog"

Beitrag/Entry #9: Racer
Author: Georg "Endurion" Rottensteiner

Beitrag/Entry #10: Bad Square Swarm
Author: "Hexworx"

Beitrag/Entry #11: Simon

Beitrag/Entry #12: Flappy Dot
Platform: Commodore 128
Author: M. "Plus4_fan" Quante
Language: Commodore BASIC 7.0

Beitrag/Entry #13: Bounce
Platform: Amstrad/Schneider CPC
Author: "EgoTrip"
Language: Locomotive BASIC

Beitrag/Entry #14: Stay Alive
Author: "The Joker"

Beitrag/Entry #15: F*ck-Man
Author: Gunnar "Bunsen" Kanold
Language Turbo Basic XL

Beitrag/Entry #16: Pear Picker on Ice
Author: Davide "Naufr4g0" Fichera

Beitrag/Entry #17: Broad's Revenge
Author: Frantisek "Fandal" Houra
and Christian "Irgendwer" Krüger

Beitrag/Entry #18: can-MaP
Author: Fredric QJ "e5frog" Blåholtz

Beitrag/Entry #19: Magic Cards
Author: Abel "ascrsoft" Carrasco

Beitrag/Entry #20: Apple Max
Author: Cliff Hatch

Gryzor

Just had a play with Micronoid, well impressed :)

darkdog

I wonder if anybody else work on a contribution. There are already some C64 and Atari entries...