News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Brick Rick (Development)

Started by reidrac, 11:42, 21 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

Quote from: Skunkfish on 23:19, 02 August 20
I can't even imagine how you squeezed that into 154 bytes?! Does this mean we'll be getting lots of different tilesets?  :D

*compression*

Yes, there will be a few of them. Magica has 5 IIRC.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

That's pretty great :)

reidrac

Quick update!

I have 5 tilesets I like now, so I guess 50 screens makes sense (and I think it will fit in memory).

[attach=1]

This is the last one (a bit WIP, needs review).

I still have one enemy missing, but I'm getting closer to the point where the only thing left is level design.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

BSC

Quote from: reidrac on 22:32, 21 July 20Another enemy: the Ufo. I mean, I had to include a flying enemy (even if in this case it was tricky: there's no enough space between those platforms!)

This looks amazing! Let me know if you need (special) music for this game. I would love to help out :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

reidrac

Quick update!

I think I have a nice design for the last enemy. I call him "Worm" (not only because the sprite reminds me of Earthworm Jim, it is also because it "teleports" -> space worm hole? bah).

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1292104295232479232

Main property: can move *down" a platform (no other character can do that in the game).

Needs some tweaking, but this means... next: level design!

EDIT: I've refined the enemy. Now it is what I wanted!

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1292184812430786566

reidrac

reidrac

A bit off-topic, because it is a different game and in Brick Rick I'm not use this engine any more; but I don't think I shared this here and some people may find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNj0px-yxR8

Sometimes I record my gramedev sessions, or I do "show & tell", like in this case. I'm showing how I use tiled map editor in my 8-bit games, and I'm using Kitsune's Curse as example.

Anyway, it is re: development, even if is not strictly about this game :)

reidrac

I'm working on the level design, so there isn't much to show here. I have 30 screens, 20 to go; memory looks good!

But I have have exciting news though... the game will have a physical release with Poly Play and I'm working with a new cover artist (to be revealed!). It looks really good so far.

I'll share more when possible.

reidrac

Quick update!

The game is beta! I'm sending a version to the testing team, so I guess by the end of September we could have a release (fingers crossed!).

Not an official date, there's still some stuff to do, and I'd like the physical edition to be quite advanced so we can have some pre-orders by the time the free download is available (remember, that really helps the publisher and it means that there may be more CPC releases from them).

I'm very happy how the game has turned out. It is pretty much an arcade, it really shows a fun game on the CPC. But, let's wait to see what the testers say!

reidrac

Brick Rick has a website!

https://www.usebox.net/jjm/brick-rick/

After uploading the website I realised it would be nice to add 2nd fire button support for jump, so it is nicer to play with a GX4000 controller. I'll see what I can do.

sigh

Quote from: reidrac on 15:35, 29 August 20
Brick Rick has a website!

https://www.usebox.net/jjm/brick-rick/

After uploading the website I realised it would be nice to add 2nd fire button support for jump, so it is nicer to play with a GX4000 controller. I'll see what I can do.
This would be brilliant. It would also be great if you could make it work with the Megadrive controller as they are easier too find.

reidrac

Not sure what's the difference, the CPC joystick supports two fire buttons (like the MSX). That's all!

The main issue is that "joystick" can be one or two buttons, and if I use the extra fire for jump, you don't want UP to be jump too or it could be messy (accidentally jumping).

If you use redefine, you can set the 2nd fire for jump I think (I'll test it); and if people don't get too anxious and release a GX4000 hack before I do it "officially" (like it happened with Kitsune's Curse), I can do custom menu with two options depending the number of buttons.

Anyway, just ideas for now. We'll see!

sigh

I think the last time I tried using the megadrive pad on a CPC, the button configuration wasn't registering correctly. It was a good while ago, but I remember that the fire button was the Start button on the Megadrive pad. Also the directional keys wasn't functioning correctly and I was unable to redefine them. I can't remember which game it was.

SpDizzy

Quote from: reidrac on 14:28, 14 August 20
A bit off-topic, because it is a different game and in Brick Rick I'm not use this engine any more; but I don't think I shared this here and some people may find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNj0px-yxR8

Sometimes I record my gramedev sessions, or I do "show & tell", like in this case. I'm showing how I use tiled map editor in my 8-bit games, and I'm using Kitsune's Curse as example.

Anyway, it is re: development, even if is not strictly about this game :)

Whoaaa, sorry for the off-topic Juan, but that tiled work its just amazing. I use tiled on a really per basics as individual screens, not whole world, with just a map layer with tiles ID's. That info is exported on a .tmx file and converted to an array of bytes for the drawing. Really poor. You have plenty of info on that map. Is there any template or info on how to read back all that .json stuff for its use on assembly or .c file? I mean, how to convert that properties layer to bits? That magic on your hands and your talent make your games always shine. This drive me nuts

reidrac

Quote from: SpDizzy on 12:17, 30 August 20

Whoaaa, sorry for the off-topic Juan, but that tiled work its just amazing. I use tiled on a really per basics as individual screens, not whole world, with just a map layer with tiles ID's. That info is exported on a .tmx file and converted to an array of bytes for the drawing. Really poor. You have plenty of info on that map. Is there any template or info on how to read back all that .json stuff for its use on assembly or .c file? I mean, how to convert that properties layer to bits? That magic on your hands and your talent make your games always shine. This drive me nuts

Export as JSON, it is "human readable", so read it and you'll see how simple it is.

Then process it with your favourite programming language to convert that data to the binary format that your game can use. It is straightforward, but unfortunately there's no "one size fits all" because it all depends of each project needs.

In that video I show some ideas, but for example Brick Rick does it in very different way (not a tilemap but "objects").

SpDizzy

Thanks so much Juan! Really appreciate your response. I'm on the process of learning as much as I can, in fact C and assembly are still mid-new to me. You know, too much stuff for the 90's BASIC languaje coder kid I used to be. Hence my question about that magic  :o

Gryzor

Quote from: reidrac on 10:00, 21 August 20

But I have have exciting news though... the game will have a physical release with Poly Play and I'm working with a new cover artist (to be revealed!). It looks really good so far.

I'll share more when possible.

Great news about the physical release, not that I doubted it...

Just a note, based on previous releases: Poly.play does an excellent job, but to be honest the materials found on the SD are not THAT good. Sure, artwork is great and appreciated, but it'd be nice if it included more *from the game* - be it music, assets (sprite sheets anyone?), early versions, stuff like that if you feel like sharing them. Because after all artwork comes last and I doubt anyone has much connection with it?

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:51, 02 September 20
Great news about the physical release, not that I doubted it...

Just a note, based on previous releases: Poly.play does an excellent job, but to be honest the materials found on the SD are not THAT good. Sure, artwork is great and appreciated, but it'd be nice if it included more *from the game* - be it music, assets (sprite sheets anyone?), early versions, stuff like that if you feel like sharing them. Because after all artwork comes last and I doubt anyone has much connection with it?

I tend to include the music in mp3, but I think in Kitsune's Curse it wasn't included because Poly forgot asking for it with all the COVID business.

I don't mind including stuff if I have it, but very often is difficult because I don't usually have design documents or a lot of material because I tend to keep most of it in my head. Also there's that even if I'd like the physical edition to be special, it feels like going out of my way just to provide stuff to sell and I'm not really getting paid anything. It is a hard one!

I'll see what I can do in Brick Rick so the SD is not that disappointing. Thanks for the feedback!

Gryzor

Ah I see what you mean, definitely. As it stands, I'm not sure how much value the SD added to the last release... If the price could be lower without it, it'd probably be better but I'm guessing it doesn't add that much to the cost. Still, some nice say, holo stickers would be preferable :)

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:04, 02 September 20
Ah I see what you mean, definitely. As it stands, I'm not sure how much value the SD added to the last release... If the price could be lower without it, it'd probably be better but I'm guessing it doesn't add that much to the cost. Still, some nice say, holo stickers would be preferable :)

I think the idea behind the SD has always been that you can play the game in an emulator without going to my website and downloading it. Also some games may be slightly different (e.g. include a Poly Play splash screen), so there's that too. I think you're right and the SD doesn't add much to the cost of the game, so even if it was removed, not sure if the price would change or something else will be in its place.

I'll pass the comment to Poly anyway, and I'll try that the SD includes more stuff.

Gryzor

Cheers, much appreciated :)

In any case, those are great releases, it doesn't really matter; was probably nitpicking to be honest!

reidrac

Now that I'm here, just a quick update.

TODO:

• Menu music (WIP currently)
  • Loading screen
  • Is there space for an Easter Egg? :D

Testing is on and the feedback I got so far is good (the game plays great, it is fun and the music is an earworm).

Then there's the admin part: finish the manual text, take some screenshots for the box, write a press release, and guff like that.

The cover art is still not finished, and that kind of blocks Poly to start working on the physical edition; but I think we're still OK for end of September release with the physical edition being shipped early October if all is OK.

reidrac

reidrac

[attach=1]

We are getting close to a release date! Exciting, isn't it? ;D

reidrac

Live testing with a 464!

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1305056446728548352

The RC1 is out for testing, almost ready!