News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Contributors

Started by Nworc, 14:57, 12 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Nworc

When looking for contributors for a project, is there a place on this board which would fits best to ask for? If you are a coder you always also need: someone doing graphics and someone doing sound. For sound I guess I have support.

So, currently I'm looking for someone good at graphics, for a demo project in mode 0 (a few still images), and a GUI control backpane in mode 1.

Names please :-)

PS: not to misunderstand: the demo is not just showing still images ;-) - these images are required to pep up the show.

Gryzor

Programming is not a bad place to post. Or you can go to Games/Apps, but I'd think Programming is best.

villain

Is there some backward masking in your handle?

Nworc

Please excuse me for that. Ehm, back to the point.

BTW: if you would do sound composing nowadays on or for the CPC: what would be the state of art tool to choose, other than Arkos Tracker 2? Would you still choose STarKos or is there another good alternative to Arkos Tracker?

Curlypaul

I'm kind of committed to another joint project, but happy to work together in the future. I'm another coder though

Nworc

Curlypaul, I have had a quick look into the code of your rotating tower prototype. I really like it, it's beautiful.

A small hint to improve speed a little. In the following code:

push de   
      ld b,0
      ld c,&2A ;; Todo calculate this from the row struct
      ldir ;; HL first pixel of last line, de first pixel of this line, bc bytes to copy
   pop de

LDIR is expensive, costing you 6 NOPs for each byte you transfer. As the amount of bytes you want to copy is just &2A size, the easiest step to get a little more speed is to use LDI instead, costing you only 5 NOPs for each byte, so you would end up with something like:

push de   
      ldi
      ldi
      ldi
                (... and so on, LDI repeated &2A times altogether ...)
   pop de

you don't even need to set BC for that, again saving a little.

Keep up your good work, and looking forward to see a demo from you.

GUNHED

Instead....
LD B,0
LD C,&2A

better use:
LD BC,&002A

One byte shorter, one us more quick.

Just in case you're not using a bunch of LDI commands...  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Nworc

Quote from: GUNHED

You sound like making fun of the LDI trick. The saving comes from using LDIs instead of LDIR - 5 NOPs versus 6. Not having to deal with the BC registers is almost irrelevant. So, effectively saving &2A NOPs for each row which is copied in the tower code, multiplied by the number of rows to copy saves a lot. The memory you need for that is irrelevant, compared to what you save in computation time.

GUNHED

Quote from: Nworc on 09:06, 14 January 22
You sound like making fun of the LDI trick.
Did you see the smiley? Work on your self confidence. Nothing bad comes from me, just love, light and peace.
Quote from: Nworc on 09:06, 14 January 22
The saving comes from using LDIs instead of LDIR - 5 NOPs versus 6. Not having to deal with the BC registers is almost irrelevant. So, effectively saving &2A NOPs for each row which is copied in the tower code, multiplied by the number of rows to copy saves a lot. The memory you need for that is irrelevant, compared to what you save in computation time.
Well, some (users/applications) save time, some save space. It depends what's needed. My BC suggestion saves both.
The first time I used LDI's instead of LDIR was in 1987 btw.  :)  But good that you mentioned it here nevertheless.  :)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Nworc

In order to come back to the point of this thread:

o  Do you know someone good at graphics?

o  Which sound composer would you choose nowadays if not opting for the Arkos Tracker 2?

270 views, and no one knows? Come on please.

andycadley

Is there any particular reason not to use Arkos Tracker 2? It seems to be the defacto tool of choice these days (and with good reason).

villain

Maybe @HAL 6128 (gfx) and @BSC (music) will take a look at this thread... Just to keep it german. ;-)

BSC

For composition I would use Soundtrakker. This Arkos stuff is incredibly over-hyped ;-)

The music in this prod, for example, was composed using ST128

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=88709

/engoloCtfoSateB

** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Nworc

Quote from: andycadley
Is there any particular reason not to use Arkos Tracker 2? It seems to be the defacto tool of choice these days (and with good reason).
Hi, to be honest, this was my first choice, but call me old fashioned - for reasons I can't explain here any further, I want to stick to WinXP for crossplatform CPC dev, but that platform is not supported anymore by AT2. If I could get hands on the last version supporting XP, that would be an option, but until now I didn't try to bother the project owner about that. I have no problems doing the sound composing on the CPC with Starkos, if that is the best option on the CPC, which it seems to be as far as I understood.

Nworc

Quote from: BSC
For composition I would use Soundtrakker. This Arkos stuff is incredibly over-hyped ;-)

The music in this prod, for example, was composed using ST128

Hahah, that one is good. I still have my original disk of ST128 lying around here (always kept it like a treasure) - and as a strange fact I also have the original from Crittersoap - I guess it was in one of the boxes I got from the last Castle Party sale off.

The mini-demo is cool by the way! And good to know that Rex is still on the scene ... I hope you don't have an exclusive contract with him! ;-)

GUNHED

Quote from: Nworc on 17:18, 14 January 22
In order to come back to the point of this thread:

o  Do you know someone good at graphics?

o  Which sound composer would you choose nowadays if not opting for the Arkos Tracker 2?

Well, I made excellent experiences with MacDeath (GFX) and 'Tom and Jerry' (Songs). They helped me with Cyber Chicken.

However, people here will probably be more willing to help you if they know you.
There was a similar discussion just recently.

BSC

Quote from: Nworc on 19:02, 14 January 22
Hahah, that one is good. I still have my original disk of ST128 lying around here (always kept it like a treasure) - and as a strange fact I also have the original from Crittersoap - I guess it was in one of the boxes I got from the last Castle Party sale off.

The mini-demo is cool by the way! And good to know that Rex is still on the scene ... I hope you don't have an exclusive contract with him! ;-)

You were at the Castle Party Sale? Can't remember seeing you there ..
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Nworc

Quote from: GUNHED
However, people here will probably be more willing to help you if they know you.
There was a similar discussion just recently.

Thank you for you honest answer. And you are right, definitely.
But I do not want to refer to a history of high and low scores of what I did in the past - for sure there were things I still am a little fond of, but there are also enough other things that today I find questionable.

So forget the history, it might be harder to find people wanting to work with someone unknown, but I find that more appealing. If hopefully only seldom something shines through - then sorry, I'm only human. Still, I have a bit of experience here and there, and I find it natural to give help in order to receive any.

GUNHED

Good luck with your project anyway. Hope that you find the fitting support you need.

Prodatron

It's nice to see you back! And I am still using your Cruncher btw :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Curlypaul

Quote from: Nworc on 00:39, 14 January 22
Curlypaul, I have had a quick look into the code of your rotating tower prototype. I really like it, it's beautiful.

Thank you! And thank you for the hint. I've learned lots of tine saves since coding that, but I didn't know this one :)
A small hint to improve speed a little. In the following code:

push de   
      ld b,0
      ld c,&2A ;; Todo calculate this from the row struct
      ldir ;; HL first pixel of last line, de first pixel of this line, bc bytes to copy
   pop de

LDIR is expensive, costing you 6 NOPs for each byte you transfer. As the amount of bytes you want to copy is just &2A size, the easiest step to get a little more speed is to use LDI instead, costing you only 5 NOPs for each byte, so you would end up with something like:

push de   
      ldi
      ldi
      ldi
                (... and so on, LDI repeated &2A times altogether ...)
   pop de

you don't even need to set BC for that, again saving a little.

Keep up your good work, and looking forward to see a demo from you.

Curlypaul

Quote from: GUNHED on 02:27, 14 January 22
Instead....
LD B,0
LD C,&2A

better use:
LD BC,&002A

One byte shorter, one us more quick.

Really? I still do this, I thought I learned individually was quicker from the tutorials I did, but there was a lot to take in so may have misremembered. Or it different when the source is a register?

Nworc

Quote from: ProdatronIt's nice to see you back! And I am still using your Cruncher btw :)

Hi Prodatron, nice to see you here! And thanx for the welcome.

GUNHED

Quote from: Curlypaul on 20:59, 18 January 22

Really? I still do this, I thought I learned individually was quicker from the tutorials I did, but there was a lot to take in so may have misremembered. Or it different when the source is a register?

This document can help...

Shining

My original ST128 is also still lying around.

Back to topic: The composers I worked with during my last productions all used pt3-music, composed by vortex tracker 2.5. If that runs unter XP, I don't know.
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org