News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC web browser/Internet Applications

Started by rpalmer, 07:06, 07 January 12

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer

Hi ynot.zer0,

I dont know why you dont see the line of text.

You can try the following attached file to see if that version will work okay.

The latest one now handles hyperlinks (but there appears to be an issue with locating the label attached to the URL).
It also handles searching for text (but has not been fully tested).
If people wish to view the HTML just press P followed by V.

There are two additional HTML files (test2.htm, test3.htm).

rpalmer

Ynot.zer0

Hi, so I tested out the new DSK.  same result  :(

I've attached some screenshots of the steps and my config.  I'm using WinApe 2.0 Alpha 18.
I've added your specific ROMS and I found I had to check
  • Enable Multiface, otherwise it'd hang on 'All done'.

As you can see it doesn't render anything for test2.htm, I can move the cursor around the screen no problem, so it hasn't crashed.  I can access all the other menu items too, I've included the Info / Memory one as an example.

any ideas?

rpalmer

ynot.zer0,

I noticed you have the AMSDOS ROM in another slot other than 7.

I do not have the multiface enabled on my configuration of winape, since WinApe can interrupt and provide details.

If moving the ROM still causes an issue, i can zip up my whole WinAPE config and email that direct to you with the required setup already done so nothing should get in the way.

I also have my rom under AMSDSO from slot 7 down (but the code for each has no specific's which restrict their locations).

rpalmer

Ynot.zer0

I must still be mentally suffering from the electric shock - why was AMSDOS not in slot 7?!?!

After doing that, YAY! all is looking good   :o

TFM

In General: AmsDOS shouldn't be moved to other ROMs than 7, because a lot of software relys on it being at 7 - especially games. And I really see no reason to move it to 4.

If you would move it up, it would make some sense in some special circumstances (more DOS ROMs f.e.). Ok.
But down??? That makes no sense at all.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Ynot.zer0

There was an original posting that stated
1. Install the ROMs (any valid sockets)
Now I realise that this only meant the custom ROMs from rpalmer.
It wasn't all that clear.  Being someone that sometimes does non-CPC things during the day/night little details such as this sometimes get over looked.  I shall make a mental note so that I never forget it again (ha ha, we'll see how long that lasts).  Right back to trying to figure out why SDCC builds the .ASM files but pasmo doesn't seem to build valid .BIN files....

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:39, 07 February 12
In General: AmsDOS shouldn't be moved to other ROMs than 7, because a lot of software relys on it being at 7 - especially games. And I really see no reason to move it to 4.

If you would move it up, it would make some sense in some special circumstances (more DOS ROMs f.e.). Ok.
But down??? That makes no sense at all.

rpalmer

ynot.zer0,

I am glad it all works now.

You can try the other options such as clicking on a hyper link (you may ned to view the HTML to locate it, in future a hyperlink will be underlined, etc).
Also you might want to try the search feature.

rpalmer

HAL6128

I tried to follow the instruction as posted before. But in case of displaying only the proper output on ynot.zer0-post-picture the whole code with all stuff will be displayed.
"<html>
<head>
<title>Test2 Page for CPC Brower...."
What is wrong?
I'm using the same configuration (WinApe, ROMs etc...)
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

rpalmer

hal 6128,

I cannot understand why you get a different result as opposed to the one shown by ynot.zer0.

The only time the result can be a dipslay of what is html is when the first byte of the loaded data is not a "<" character.

You can check this by examining the first byte of the first html block at &4000 with block &CE enabled in winape.

rpalmer

MacDeath

QuoteIn General: AmsDOS shouldn't be moved to other ROMs than 7, because a lot of software relys on it being at 7 - especially games. And I really see no reason to move it to 4.
Well, if you are to use your CPC for some web-browsing action, I think you should simply get rid of all the superfluous stuff...
And not running game while Web-browsing may be a good point too.
:laugh:
[color=#0]
That's perhaps why I still think a PLUS cartridge is the best suitbla way to get it done properly.
You only put what is needed and used, no parasistic presence in ROM then perhaps.
[/color]

qbert

Well, the language itself is not too much complicated too my senses... XHTML 1.1 is quite straightforward after you have removed all the CSS specification for rendering (which we do not need!).
HTML 4.01 is a bit more ambiguous, by not following the XML syntax.
HTML < 4.01 is quite more dense because of the various layout option that were removed subsequently and integrated into CSS, but who care about HTML < 4.01 nowadays ?
I do suppose HTML 5 is not of our concerns, hopefully. :P ::)
Hopefully the Lynx text browser is a long time known model, that is not too say you (we?) have to reach the same level of flexibility.
On a other hand, I have to remind that display speed is a major concern, as progressive display in a traditional browser (while downloading) is constantly revising layout (refreshing the screen !). As designed for generic computer terminals, Lynx is not constantly revising layout.

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:04, 19 January 12

Well, a question for me would be if it is important to 'understand' the complete HTML language, or can you just work well with a subset of the HTML commands?

Is there a list of HTML commands in the net? I mean a list of important commands that should be implemented in any browser?

rpalmer

hello everyone,

If anyone was expecting more frequenct updates, then i am sorry as I am working away from the my desktop PC which contains the master set of source files to build the browser and that I am also working in an environment where PC controls dont allow for various files to be passed between the work PC and non-work PCs. I am also unable to use a laptop in this work environment.

However, I have managed to get more HTML commands up and running. The command which have been tested are:

a. Handling of fonts like the system font and italics, the symbols font has yet to be defined and tested.
    The system font is expected to be the first and italics second.
b. Hyperlinks with an underline effect to indicate them in any font. A future version will allow the user to select the effect they desire.
c. Lists which can be unordered or ordered. The List data is auto-indented when mixed types are used.
    The auto-indent means that if an ordered list is displayed after an unordered list then the ordered list is shown 5 chars to the right of the unordered.
    The auto-indent does not check if the user tries to have more than 2 list types, so it is possible to cause issues when 3 or more types are attempted.
d. The italic font is selectable.
e. The <EM> emphasis command is available (this is displayed in inverse).
f. Various font effects are available (underline and strike). There may be more to be implemented to extend the HTML rendering of effects like bold, strong and font sizes.
g. An initial version of the user guide has been developed and will need some work to get it closer to being complete.

The various test files are on the dsk image.

My next task is to complete handling tables.

I have not yet updated the history/version info as the app is still being developed.

People can find the latest source and disk image to test the latest version in the attached files.

To start the CPCB.exe file see previous posts for help.

Regards
rpalmer

rpalmer

hello everyone,

It has been quite some time since I last posted to the wiki (this is due to a job contract forcing me away from my computer for a long time).

But anyways, while i was away i had been continuing to develop more options into the CPC browser via a laptop.

I have done some preliminary work getting the tables, forms and frames to be incorporated but have not tested them.

The attached zip file is only a development version of the source which has yet to be tested, so if you wish to download to see what has been done then by all means go ahead. It should be compilable (but as always I am human and so errors may have crept in).

It is hoped that soon I will have the browser working with all of the HTML 4.01 commands. However, there are some parameters to the commands which I have not implemented as at the moment I just want to get a workable version up and running.

The browser will not yet have the capability to access the internet, but if all of the local files demonstrate the HTML 4.01 command set then it is only a small step to finish the routines to access the TCP/IP API to access the internet.

The TCP/IP API is also still under development and I have built a windows server where i will create a local network to simulate the internet in regards to files one would normally access using the real network interface.

TFM

Great to see, that this project continues  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Wot, no HTML5?

Can't check it now, but really nice to see the project goes on... :)

rpalmer

Gryzor,

It may be possible to implement some of HTML 5, but I have yet to get past HTML 4.... so please wait I can see what I can do once HTML 4 is working.

rpalmer

Gryzor

Was only kidding, mate, it's awesome as it is, I'm not really expecting to be able to run a js CPC emulator on it or anything!

zhulien

Whatever happened to this thread?

GUNHED

It's a pity to see that the net evolves in a way off the html and java. Because this project contains lot of great and innovative work.

If you would start some kind of web browser / internet apps today, would you choose other 'languages' or still stick with html?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

SkulleateR

Would be nice to see some basic web browser for M4/WiFi nowadays  ;D 8)

zhulien

Aside from me being quite busy and I am sure everyone else is too ( http://8bitology.net/8bml.php and POC with Logic here https://jsfiddle.net/zhulien/dw1zpgs2/ - the logic can be converted directly to Z80 by hand as it is executing on the right lower window).  This website with the provided libraries will work fine on CPC rendered as 8BML or on every other browser - it caters for different resolutions, they could be dynamically resized Windows if it was Symbos for example.  Anyone want to create an 8BML to flat array translater and also a flat array to Window renderer?  Note: the entire site of 8bitology including the members area is fully 8BML compatible, allows for forms, tables, theoretically images (although a bit more tweaking likely here to cater for them in a more universal way)...

Here is the 8bml page in... 8bml:   http://8bitology.net/8bml.php?8bml=