News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to use a Gotek/DDI5

Started by nicf82, 19:43, 22 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

nicf82

Hi

I recently found my old CPC in the loft, and been playing around with it ever since. I decided that the tape drive has become too unreliable, so i decided to purchase a DDI5 thinking it would be an easy way to load and save .dsk images.

This is the one i got https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/36061

So i plugged the think in and loaded a FAT32 USB stick with two images, which I can see are detected on the little LCD display, and i can also switch between the image and the other button says its 'Ejected' an image. There a are two toggle switches also - no idea what these do but they seem to cause the computer to display some memory corruption on the monitor sometimes if i switch them. Also another button which seems to reset the machine.

Im just wondering if anyone can help me with the purpose of the toggle switches, and also how to use the thing to load a disk image?

I have tried:

CAT - just asks me to press play then any key
RUN"DISC - just asks me to press play then any key

|DISC - says Unknown command

Not really sure where to turn next - hope its not my connections on the back of the machine that are knackered!

Thanks
Nic

xesrjb

The connection from the CPC to DDI5 is not good. Please remove your DDI5, clean the carde edge connector with a rubber from both sides (top and bottom). Add the DDI5 again and it will run. Perhaps you can change the position of your DDI5 a little bit..

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

nicf82

Great thanks, will give that a try!

Once i have a good connection, should the commands i tried work? Or were they not correct either?

xesrjb

Cat will be the command to try at first. Connection to your DDI5 will show you the catalog of your disc (image).

If the connection is not given, the CPC will give you a catalog from your cassette...

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

nicf82

Worked perfectly! Thanks!

Still wondering what the toggle switches are for - if anyone is able to help!

Also one other thing - how can i SAVE to a disc image? Sorry if this is all documented somewhere - have been unable to find it.

Cheers
Nic

GUNHED

save"file"

But use 8 charactes max
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

nicf82

Thanks Gunhed ill give that a go!

nicf82

Works great thanks!

What i did was copy and rename one of my existing .dsk files so i had an image i could use, then used |drive to delete the existing files (game). That meant i had a blank .dsk to put my stuff in. Maybe there is an easier way to create a blank .dsk?

Also wondering if there is a way to load my programs from a tape when i have the DDI5 plugged in? So i can then save them on to the .disk image?

Cheers!
Nic

nicf82

Sorry had a brain wave, |disc  and |tape can switch devices i see