News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CpcTelera Decompressor

Started by Kristof, 22:33, 22 February 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Hi

I'm currently creating a game using CpcTelera (1.4.2, but I also downloaded "develoment" branch which is, if I understood well 1.5).

I've seen that a compressors / decompressor system have been added in 1.5. I wondering if any of the existing decompressor (not specially in cpctelera) work "in place" (means only one buffer is required and everything is done in that place). And what kind of speed is expected fotr 5KB of data uncompressing ?

Arnaud

Hi,
here a little comparison of compressors :
http://memoryfull.net/articles.php?id=15

- You should use cpctelera 1.5, there are plenty of improvements and it's stable version.

- Zx7 is a good candidate for game, but if you really need speed lz4 is for you.

- Cpctelera uses zx7b (Backwards compressor : data have to be read from the end of array)

- Here you'll find others decompressors ready to be used for cpctelera :
https://github.com/Arnaud6128/wincpctelera/tree/master/_compressors

Kristof

Thanks Arnaud, I'll check this.

teopl

My experience:

- zx7 is good for games (graphics, levels)

- "Exomizer 2" was even better so I switched to that (I didn't manage to setup "Exomizer 3" quickly so I skipped that)
- speed was not important (only compression) because I needed to have all assets extracted on level (or state) load (otherwise I had performance issues)- for compressing texts I made my own
compression by creating dictionary of most common long words and encoding them
- I stopped using cpctelera 1.5 embedded compression from .mk file because I needed to have better control of the process so I compress *before* doing make  (otherwise, depending on compressed size, some constants in the source are updated and then make would need to be done again)
---

Does anyone have a working code sample to compress/decompress with  "Exomizer 3"?