News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Disassemble to a file?

Started by Richard_Lloyd, 23:13, 13 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard_Lloyd

Is there a disassembler that can send it's output to a text file? Or does anyone know of a way of doing this? I'd like to be able to disassemble a chunk of code and view the whole thing in an editor afterwards instead of repeatedly processing small chunks on screen. Preferably on a real CPC but an emulator would do! Cheers.
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

Targhan

Quote from: Richard_Lloyd on 23:13, 13 December 20Is there a disassembler that can send it's output to a text file

Any PC disassembler can do that. Check "Disark" in my signature, it can produce the output in a variety of assembler. It is cross-platform, so obviously not on a real CPC if you can live with this limitation.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Richard_Lloyd

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Richard

redbox

Quote from: Richard_Lloyd on 23:13, 13 December 20
Is there a disassembler that can send it's output to a text file? Or does anyone know of a way of doing this? I'd like to be able to disassemble a chunk of code and view the whole thing in an editor afterwards instead of repeatedly processing small chunks on screen. Preferably on a real CPC but an emulator would do! Cheers.

Or you can do it using WinAPE.

1) Run the program you want to disassemble and then press the pause button.
2) Select the area of memory you want to disassemble in the Debugger by clicking on the first address, then hold SHIFT and click on the second address.
3) Right click, Disassemble, choose File as output.

Richard_Lloyd

It's a piece of ROM code. Can I just load it in without running it and disassemble in situ. I've not used WinAPE very much but I'll give this a try as well.

Thanks.
Richard

redbox

Quote from: Richard_Lloyd on 12:30, 14 December 20
It's a piece of ROM code. Can I just load it in without running it and disassemble in situ. I've not used WinAPE very much but I'll give this a try as well.

Yes, just load into memory from BASIC, e.g:

MEMORY &3FFF : LOAD "ROM.BIN",&4000

Richard_Lloyd

Quote from: Targhan on 23:39, 13 December 20
Any PC disassembler can do that. Check "Disark" in my signature, it can produce the output in a variety of assembler. It is cross-platform, so obviously not on a real CPC if you can live with this limitation.

Disark works really well.
I did a couple of runs with different parameters to see what effect they had and soon had some working code.
I don't have a symbol table so had to do a bit of manual editing but it does the job.
Thank you.
Richard

Targhan

Quote from: Richard_Lloyd on 22:21, 14 December 20Disark works really well.
Glad to hear that!
You may not have a symbol table, yet you can create one by hand (the format is very permissive) and feed it to Disark. It can save you some time instead of manually modifying your source.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime