News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

disc loader system

Started by arnoldemu, 12:16, 10 June 09

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

I have been working on a disc loading system for Rhino.
The format and file writer are complete.

This loading system is a direct to the hardware loading system but designed to be simple to use in your own productions.

I plan to release it soon.

So maybe it will be easier to make trackmos now?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:08, 13 June 09
WWhat is trackmos? :D
more than one trackmo.
a trackmo is a demo term for a demo that loads almost continuously from a disc, though each of the tracks at a time.
I think it also means a type of demo where the parts are linked and are seamless.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Ahhhhh... Of course I know about this kind of loader, but I don't think I've heard the term before... thanks :)

[idea] a dictionary for the wiki??? [/idea]

Longshot

A trackmo is not a megademo.

A megademo is composed of a loader with different parts, very often with their own music. A trackmo (the first one was from scoopex in 1990) is used when there is no "break" in the show and the music is never stopped.

To do a trackmo on cpc, you need a loader able to execute others things while it loads data. ;D
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Longshot on 13:12, 16 June 09
A trackmo is not a megademo.

A megademo is composed of a loader with different parts, very often with their own music. A trackmo (the first one was from scoopex in 1990) is used when there is no "break" in the show and the music is never stopped.

To do a trackmo on cpc, you need a loader able to execute others things while it loads data. ;D
Yes true. But you do not always need great effects while loading... e.g.

good effects (no loading), start loading and switch to more simple effect, when loading is complete switch to better effect, but do this in a seamless way.

music while loading: 5kb demo 3 prooved that more is possible during loading.

I was looking at the disc timings. I worked out that there is some time between sectors (used by gaps, id marks, synchronisation etc), that could be used to make some effects or play music.
You can also use the time during seek too. The problem is the synchronisation of the music... I am looking to add music to my loader (it will be a starkos tune).

The first version of my loader is now ready (no music):

1. a "master maker" program which you use to format disc and to put your files into the special format
2. source code for loader so you can use it in your programs to load the programs put onto the disc.
3. Standard DATA format for track 0 (so you can display graphics with CAT), a different format for other tracks.

I am working on the master maker program so that it will report more errors, and then on the loader so I can use every byte on the disc.

My games. My Games

Axelay

Quote from: arnoldemu on 11:48, 17 June 09
The first version of my loader is now ready (no music):

1. a "master maker" program which you use to format disc and to put your files into the special format
2. source code for loader so you can use it in your programs to load the programs put onto the disc.
3. Standard DATA format for track 0 (so you can display graphics with CAT), a different format for other tracks.

I am working on the master maker program so that it will report more errors, and then on the loader so I can use every byte on the disc.

I was wondering, will there be source code for saving as well?  If you used it in a game and wanted to save a high score table to disk, for example.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Axelay on 18:08, 17 June 09
I was wondering, will there be source code for saving as well?  If you used it in a game and wanted to save a high score table to disk, for example.
Currently no, but I can add that.

There is already code for writing files, so that needs adapting.

BTW, this is code for a special loader not one that writes AMSDOS files.

If you need code to read/write AMSDOS files (and still be allowed to use the RAM that the firmware occupies) then I can provide this too (same kind of code that some cracks use).
My games. My Games

Targhan

>music while loading: 5kb demo 3 prooved that more is possible during loading.
*shameless propaganda* :)
Have a look at the Midline Process demo (loading+decrunching+music) on our website :
www.arkos.cpcscene.com
Also, you might be interested to use some of my FDC Tools code (check the Tools section), which allows to load any AMSDOS file with my own code, so you can kill the system but load usual files anyway.
Trg.Aks
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Axelay

Quote from: arnoldemu on 12:32, 19 June 09
Currently no, but I can add that.

There is already code for writing files, so that needs adapting.

BTW, this is code for a special loader not one that writes AMSDOS files.

If you need code to read/write AMSDOS files (and still be allowed to use the RAM that the firmware occupies) then I can provide this too (same kind of code that some cracks use).

I haven't really got as far as thinking about the file format - my need for read/write routines is still some way off yet!  It is just that with you talking about it now, I realized that read/write fdc routines that can be used without the firmware were something I'd need to get hold of (or develop if necessary) at some point.

dlfrsilver

Trackmos is a trackloader :D Amigafans here we are ;)