News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Eternal Light project

Started by Morri, 12:11, 08 March 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Morri

Hello all, good to see something is running again...
I have almost finished my BASIC / Sprites alive game "Eternal light" it's actually not too bad considering it's only BASIC and that I haven't programmed anything in over 15 years...
I'm just a little stuck with my end credits.

My main code is full. So full that if I add 1 more line of basic I get "memory full" messages. If you complete the game I run a file which has a screen, tune and messages.
My problem is that I get "improper argument" messages if I use a "symbol after" command (I have a font I want to use in the credits)...

I can't fix it. And I sort of guess it has to do with already using "memory" commands in the other files.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix it. Once this problem is solved I can release the game...

Thanx
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

mr_lou

You surely work fast mate.

How about just loading the end credits when you complete the game?

Morri

Hey Mr Lou...I do, it goes :if items=10 then run"endgame": but thats when I get the error message.

mr_lou

Quote from: Morri on 12:48, 08 March 09
Hey Mr Lou...I do, it goes :if items=10 then run"endgame": but thats when I get the error message.

Oh... what about...
if items=10 then clear:run"endgame"
Does that make a difference?

Ygdrazil

Hi Morri

Really looking forward to your production ..

If you intend to make the game run from disc only. You could chain merge the different parts of the game. Eventually store vital game data to temporary data files. This way you wouldn't have to have all of the program in memory once and only limit is the amount of disk space.

Nich

Quote from: Morri on 12:11, 08 March 09
My problem is that I get "improper argument" messages if I use a "symbol after" command (I have a font I want to use in the credits)...

I can't fix it. And I sort of guess it has to do with already using "memory" commands in the other files.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix it. Once this problem is solved I can release the game...

Once a MEMORY command is used, the font matrix table (if it exists) cannot be redefined or moved to another location.

However, you should be able to get around this by using the command SYMBOL AFTER 256 before using the MEMORY command. This will erase the current font matrix table. When you run the credits program, you can then use SYMBOL AFTER 32 to create a new font matrix table without getting an "Improper argument" error.

Hopefully this will solve your problem, and I look forward to seeing the final release!

Morri

]
QuoteOnce a MEMORY command is used, the font matrix table (if it exists) cannot be redefined or moved to another location.

However, you should be able to get around this by using the command SYMBOL AFTER 256 before using the MEMORY command. This will erase the current font matrix table. When you run the credits program, you can then use SYMBOL AFTER 32 to create a new font matrix table without getting an "Improper argument" error.
Yes thanks that worked, I knew it was something like that. ::) But now I get a memory full (again!!!)  >:( from the symbol after 32 command. I have tried clear but it makes no difference. Is there any other techniques to flush the memory.It is a completely separate file to the main code using ...clear:run"endgame"If not I will have to have a password system to run the end credits but that isn't ideal. (sounds pretty rubbish actually)[/]

Morri

I figured it out!!! All working start to finish. I just want to play it right thru and make sure as much is right as possible. Hopefully post tonight or else tomorrow.

mr_lou

You should put some betatesters to test it before releasing it. It's 100% certain there are many things you as the developer will never spot.
Betatesters can give you feedback and suggestions to alternative ways of doing certain things.

psychris

I'll sign-up for a beta :P

Gryzor

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Morri

thank you for all the interest. I am happy with testing done by Mr Lou. who also helped compose tune/s for the game. You all will get a chance to play soon enough because after tweaking a few small things I'll post the dsk. Just give me a couple of days  :)

Morri

well here it is, I've finished the game.It took me about 6 months total. A complete nervous breakdown and a couple of nice cold beers, but it's done. phew. In all honesty, it would have been better if I was actually a coder but for a complete dumb dumb it's OK.Now, before everyone rips me a new one about the games failings please remember, it's all BASIC so I ran out of memory after writing the intro screen!!! Please enjoy it for what it is, and please code more stuff yourselves for our beloved CPC's.Thanx...http://www.megaupload.com/?d=18D5K7NI

psychris

Yay - it's released! I'm getting ready for work at the moment. So I may just have to have a quick play when I get there  ;D

Gryzor

Ha! This is so cute!!! I'll play a while in the afternoon but it looks sweet :)

Things I've noticed: the player sprite should probably move a bit faster, and the screen should update a tad quicker, too (yeah, I know, Basic, but still...).

I'm attaching here, if you don't mind. I'll also announce it on the wiki :)

Morri

Ha, I didn't realise you could just attach files, cool.
Quote from: Gryzor on 08:15, 10 March 09
Things I've noticed: the player sprite should probably move a bit faster

I know, it is possible but weird stuff starts happening  ???  For instance one time I shot myself by running into the bullet which was going in the same direction as me. So I offset the missile a bit further away but then the missile missed anything too close to you if you were standing still.The other thing that happened was you could push the enemies around if you were moving, the collision detention would only work half the time. I couldn't get that right either. Therefore the speed that the character goes...
Quote from: Gryzor on 08:15, 10 March 09
and the screen should update a tad quicker, too (yeah, I know, Basic, but still...).
Yes, I worked hard to get that going faster but couldn't do it with BASIC. I'm actually using an RSX command so it's partly machine code with scenery poked and peeked in all the right places  ;)  but alas this was the fastest I could get it...

psychris

Quote from: Morri on 08:58, 10 March 09The other thing that happened was you could push the enemies around if you were moving, the collision detention would only work half the time.

I owned Sprites Alive which is why I was keen to complete Space Froggy. That game suffers from exactly the same issues - slow moving main character, iffy collision detection which means enemies can be pushed around, etc.

I'm guessing Eternal Light is made entirely using the Sprites Alive extensions? Any chance of releasing the source code? I'd really love to load this up myself with Sprites Alive.

I had a quick play for a few minutes and it looks good, I'm gonna have fun playing this. One feature request, please could keyboard alternative controls be added? The reason being that using Arnold emulator on the Mac, I haven't been able to get the joystick mapped to the keyboard. It kind of works, but uses very strange keys which only a contortionist would be comfortable with.

Morri

yes sprites alive pretty much runs the whole show.As for the source code, it's not really that well protected. I just used the utility managedsk - http://amstrad.cpc.free.fr/download.php?op=mydown&did=8 to hide and protect files. I never used the sprites alive compiler because I couldn't get it to work. Everything is still in Basic.

Morri

Some are getting an error message when using run"-story" I corrected that bug.New dsk image here.

psychris

Hi Morri, I was previously getting the error message when using run "-story". I'd assumed this was intended and used run "eternal" instead. Anyway, the updated dsk image fixed this, thanks.

I've had a fun evening. I found a "type in" to unprotect the source code and I changed code.bas to use sprite 1 instead of sprite 0 for the main character. By default, this uses the cursor keys + space bar instead of the joystick and worked perfectly.

Great game! I really enjoyed playing this. I'm deliberately avoiding posting any spoilers here for now  :)

When endgame.bas loads, the "typewriter" text doesn't show using the Arnold emulator on the Mac (Intel) with default settings. The image appears and music plays. If I set the emulator to run as fast as possible, the text does show, albeit rather quickly. I'm guessing this is a timing issue.

Anyway, thanks for making the game.

Morri

Quote from: psychris on 01:05, 11 March 09
Hi Morri, I was previously getting the error message when using run "-story". I'd assumed this was intended and used run "eternal" instead. Anyway, the updated dsk image fixed this, thanks.

I've had a fun evening. I found a "type in" to unprotect the source code and I changed code.bas to use sprite 1 instead of sprite 0 for the main character. By default, this uses the cursor keys + space bar instead of the joystick and worked perfectly.

Great game! I really enjoyed playing this. I'm deliberately avoiding posting any spoilers here for now  :)

When endgame.bas loads, the "typewriter" text doesn't show using the Arnold emulator on the Mac (Intel) with default settings. The image appears and music plays. If I set the emulator to run as fast as possible, the text does show, albeit rather quickly. I'm guessing this is a timing issue.

Anyway, thanks for making the game.

cool. I think you might be the first to complete it. Mr lou may have cos he had it a day earlier than everyone else but I'm not sure... glad you figured out how to change the code for keyboard. Maybe you could post the dsk image for those who have the same problem with the joystick. A keyboard hack version if you will.  :) Weird how the text doesn't work, I didn't test it with Arnold, I used WinApe and JavaCPC and it worked on those so I assumed it was OK.
Also speaking about the tunes and the images, I want to publicly thank Mr Lou for his two contributions in the sound department. He is an amazing composer and the tunes he wrote suited the game down to the ground. They really lifted the game and set the mood. Thanks again mate, you're a champion... ;) So if you haven't done it already check out his websites and some of the stuff he's done.
http://www.dewfall.dk/
http://www.lublu.dk/
http://www.indiegamemusic.com/

mr_lou

Thanks for the nice words Morri. :)

I haven't completed the game yet. Been a little busy lately, so I'm saving it for a cozy evening with the real machines. That way it's easier to get in touch with the atmosphere and the story. So I'm looking forward to that. :)

voXfReaX

Congrats Morri :) Pretty cool game, with a nice design... :)

psychris

Agreed that the overall design is really good, including the music, graphics and levels.

I thought Arnold would be updating the dsk image as I made changes last night. Otherwise, I would have expected a read-only error message. When I exited the emulator, it offered to save and I accepted. However, the dsk image wasn't modified at all so all my changes were lost. It was late, I wasn't that bothered and I'm not sure anyone else would benefit from non-joystick support anyway. Arnold is almost great but just doesn't make sense (to me) at times. Although, it's way better than nothing when it comes to CPC emulation on the Mac.

Eternal Light has inspired me to make my own game which is pretty cool. I haven't decided which platform yet or what form it'll take. I do know that all the crazy memory juggling on the CPC makes me nervous  ;D