News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Evolution (from Sixty Programs for the Amstrad CPC 464)

Started by ervin, 13:26, 14 December 22

Previous topic - Next topic

ervin

Hi everyone.

Way back in the day, my first exposure to any form of computer programming was the wonderful manual that came with my (green screen) CPC464, and also the listings in ACU magazine. These no doubt planted the seed for what I was to become as an adult (software developer).

But there was also one particular book, https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Sixty_Programs_for_the_Amstrad_CPC_464
I loved that book so much that 14 years ago I scanned the whole thing and uploaded it to cpcwiki.  ;D

Anyway, my favourite listings in the book were Evolution 1,2 and 3.
They are of course laughably simple to modern eyes, but to a young child taking early steps into a new world, they were fascinating.

So I thought I'd type them in and make them available.
Part 1 is included on the attached dsk, with parts 2 and 3 to come soon.

It's amazing to think that when I first typed these listings in all those years ago, BASIC was like an alien language. I didn't really understand what any of it meant. But now I can figure out what the program is going to do as I am typing it in. Progress eh?  8)

VincentGR

Sykobee (Briggsy)

ervin

Yeah I think he'll need to use several snappies to get through it!  :laugh:

ervin

VincentGR

Dunno if it is because I will check it tomorrow, but you did a hard task to type all of these.

ervin

Well, I've still got parts 2 and 3 to do, but typing in part 1 wasn't too bad.

In addition to scanning the entire book many years ago, I also ran each page through OCR, so they were converted to text files. There were many mistakes in the text files that were generated, but it didn't take too long to go through the text file for part 1, compare with the scanned listing, and fix the mistakes. Maybe 1.5 hours.

VincentGR

I used ABBYY FineReader for this task with English and Basic as language, yeap too many mistakes.

ervin

Yeah I thought that OCR would recognise old printer fonts more accurately.
Some parts are very good, others... not so much!

ervin

Hi everyone.

Part 2 has now been typed in and added to the attached dsk file.
(I don't seem to be able to edit the original post in this thread, so I'm adding a new dsk file here).

The caveman attack phase actually isn't too bad for such a simple little type in!

ervin

Hi folks.

Here is the 3rd and final part.
A nuclear war to determine the superpower that will rule the earth.
:o

The idea is a good one, though of course rather grim.
With a few tweaks it could be made into a really playable little game.

All 3 games are on the attached dsk file.
Enjoy!

ervin

Does anyone know how I might be able to submit these to cpc-power?

ervin