News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

FutureOS corner

Started by TFM, 05:12, 01 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

HAL6128

Great! Me too, please! I'm going to send you a mail to futuresoft at gmx.de.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

TFM

Quote from: hal 6128 on 06:31, 29 July 11
Great! Me too, please! I'm going to send you a mail to futuresoft at gmx.de.

You are very welcome! Ist mir doch ein Vergnügen!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Yes, I too am looking forward to trying out FutureOS for real when I get my MegaFlash.

Would also like to develop some ROM routines, there's lots of things I've thought of in the past that would be nice to have on a ROM.

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 16:18, 29 July 11
Yes, I too am looking forward to trying out FutureOS for real when I get my MegaFlash.

You are very welcome too. Just email me...

Quote from: redbox on 16:18, 29 July 11
Would also like to develop some ROM routines, there's lots of things I've thought of in the past that would be nice to have on a ROM.

Well, my guess is that you just have to keep few points in mind.

- All variables must be put in RAM, so when the REDBOX ROM get's initialized, the ROM just grabs the desired number of bytes and reserves them. This is just reducing HIMEM for that number of bytes.

- It's not easy to manipulate the screen due to a routine that is located between &C000 and &FFFF, but you can use RAM configuration &C3 to move the screen RAM to &4000 (but &C3 works only on 6128).

- You can't directly call routines in other ROMs, routines have to use the RAM indirections.

However, all this is probably the topic for another thread...
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Small update available for the MegaFlashROManager and the SYMBiFACE II ROMananger (see download section on my small homepage). BTW: It's just a cosmetic change, now I'm into cosmetics and try to make it a bit more comfortable... let's see how this works...  8) :o :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Ok, the BASIC Versions of all ROManagers are now in Version 1.32 and seem to run fine (until the first bug report...). The FutureOS versions will be uploaded in the next days.

But what we have now is an expanded version of the Framework for FutureOS, the CBM. The menue system has been extended and can be used more comfortable. For example you can decide if a up/down or left/right key goes to the next option or if the cursor jumps "x" options. Also start and end of option tables are connected now.
The new functionality can be seen in ROManager ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

MiguelSky

Are they available for download?

TFM

Quote from: MiguelSky on 21:59, 23 August 11
Are they available for download?

Yes, check out www.FutureOS.de then goto download section. The new FutureOS version of ROManager will be uploaded in 1 hour, just have to take the shuttle home...
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Stay tuned...
I added this lovely button to JavaCPC's ROM settings ;)
(Need to heck out a better place for it, then I can add it to the next update)
Spoiler: ShowHide

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

Nice, but an "inofficial" function, it runs only "beautiful" with the Plus vesion. On the real CPC it doesn't make the work more easy. But - hey - Thanks a lot for you interrest!!!

And therefore you get an update of the MegaFlash and the SYMBiFACE II ROManager (Basic & FutureOS versions) to Ver. 1.33. (Means improved adaption of ROM checksums).
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Yeah, unfortunately on my 6129 it's all B&W, but oh well!

Bryce

Shouldn't we perhaps put the MegaFlashROManager on the MegaFlash Wiki page?
Up to now it kept changing, so I wanted to wait a bit, but the latest version seems pretty complete to me and everything works as it should.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

One thing I am missing in FutureOS:
Compatibility ;)

It should be able to run non-FutureOS programs, too.
At least binaries.
I mean: For example I have a demo disk in my drive, have FutureOS active, DIR the drive.
Then I also want to be able to run the regular CPC apps directly from the 'OS'
Otherwise it's not much compatible IMO ;)

BTW.: The colour rasters look cool in JavaCPC when you have "Deinterlace" feature enabled...
The bars dim when you move your arrow ;)

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 09:38, 24 August 11
Shouldn't we perhaps put the MegaFlashROManager on the MegaFlash Wiki page?
Up to now it kept changing, so I wanted to wait a bit, but the latest version seems pretty complete to me and everything works as it should.

Bryce.

Well last night I corrected a potential bug in the "Adapt Checksum of a ROM" routine, which did (like park/unpark) read from a Write-enalbled ROM. Not I will integrate one more thing, then overwork the doc, and in case no bug report hits me, then that's it :-)

In case you like to combine the Wiki-Page, just go for it. I don't mind. But then it will be (Category:FutureOS)  :P 

Now this leads to the next topic! I'm searching volunteers to test the FutureOS version!
(These tests are needed to go on to create the ROM version)

@SyX: The source in the Wiki is still working, it didn't change.
TFM of FutureSoft

MiguelSky

Quote from: TFM/FS on 02:34, 24 August 11And therefore you get an update of the MegaFlash and the SYMBiFACE II ROManager (Basic & FutureOS versions) to Ver. 1.33. (Means improved adaption of ROM checksums).
Well, the SFII version brings a v1.32 AMSDOS version inside...

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:44, 24 August 11
It should be able to run non-FutureOS programs, too.
At least binaries.
I mean: For example I have a demo disk in my drive, have FutureOS active, DIR the drive.
Then I also want to be able to run the regular CPC apps directly from the 'OS'
Otherwise it's not much compatible IMO ;)

This will sadly never happen. If I would intend to make it compatible I would end up with something like the CPC-OS with .... ??? Well, no differences???
Going back to CPC-OS compatibility would deprive FutureOS of most of it's advanced features.

In the beginning I thought about an CP/M emulator, but I put that plan in the bin, because it's better to make new software IMHO which uses the strength of the CPC.

I mean it's so easy to switch between Basic and FutureOS, take just a couple of seconds.

And if you start FutureOS using !FDESK, then even the first 48 KB of the Main RAM are saved.

But I see also the disadvantage of that, few software, gotta do more work ;-) But it's fun though :-)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: MiguelSky on 19:24, 24 August 11
Well, the SFII version brings a v1.32 AMSDOS version inside...

Yes, because SF2 works different from MF. So if I update a MF-related part, which runs well for SF, I don't have to rename it (because it was already late in the night yesterday). But wait for 1.35 or so, then it shall all be done :-) However, now it's time for my lunch ;-)

TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:23, 24 August 11Well last night I corrected a potential bug in the "Adapt Checksum of a ROM" routine, which did (like park/unpark) read from a Write-enalbled ROM. Not I will integrate one more thing, then overwork the doc, and in case no bug report hits me, then that's it :-)
Great Job!!! :D One step less, to get the perfection  ;)

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:23, 24 August 11Now this leads to the next topic! I'm searching volunteers to test the FutureOS version! (These tests are needed to go on to create the ROM version)
Well, i hope that in a few days, i will have the diskdrive and i will can make all the tests that you need  :)

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:23, 24 August 11@SyX: The source in the Wiki is still working, it didn't change.
Nice!!! :) Normally i will use the MegaFlashROManager ;) ... my mini-program is only for making fast tests or put games or graphics or routines in the upper roms  :D

TFM

Quote from: SyX on 19:50, 24 August 11
Nice!!! :) Normally i will use the MegaFlashROManager ;) ... my mini-program is only for making fast tests or put games or graphics or routines in the upper roms  :D

A release would be cool. Thinking about a nice RSX expansion or so...

However, keep in mind that a program will not run inside a ROM if the MF is switched to Write-Mode. So you can't put your Flash-Routine in a ROM to run it there. But it can be in a ROM, then make a copy to RAM, then run in the RAM. That works.  :)  I'm really looking forward SyX!
TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:59, 24 August 11A release would be cool. Thinking about a nice RSX expansion or so...
That's the idea, you will can use a very simple RSX (with two parameters, rom number and romdata address) or use the source for incbin the romdata, assembly, execute and Voila ;) ... For everything else (even for this case, it's more sensible too  :P), everybody must use the MegaFlashROManager  ;D

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:59, 24 August 11However, keep in mind that a program will not run inside a ROM if the MF is switched to Write-Mode. So you can't put your Flash-Routine in a ROM to run it there. But it can be in a ROM, then make a copy to RAM, then run in the RAM. That works.  :)  I'm really looking forward SyX!
Of course,  and how your Flash-routine is very short, i was thinking to copy it at the end of the stack or another similar place ;)

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:59, 24 August 11I'm really looking forward SyX!
Well, in that case i will polish, make a few test and publish it  :)

Devilmarkus

Well I talked with TFM and together with his help, FutureOS is able now to detect what monitor emulation is used in JavaCPC.
When you select a monochrome type (Green or B/W) FutureOS's ROM will set this correctly.
http://cpc-live.com/futureos_monitortest

It's also able now to detect if the digiblaster emulation is enabled or not:
http://cpc-live.com/futureos_digiblaster
I hope this is a bit helpful ;)

TFM

Thank's a lot Markus! That's really GREAT work and it will improve having fun with Games and more.  ;) ;) ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Hmmm to tell the truth: FutureOS does not detect these things ;) But JavaCPC does and POKEs the ROM :D
But who cares?  8)

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 23:21, 24 August 11
Hmmm to tell the truth: FutureOS does not detect these things ;) But JavaCPC does and POKEs the ROM :D
But who cares?  8)

Right, and as long as the program can read the configuration bytes in a reliable way it's all good.
On a real CPC, you just change your ROMs depending on your hardware configuration, tools like ConfigOS help you with this.
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:23, 24 August 11

Now this leads to the next topic! I'm searching volunteers to test the FutureOS version!
(These tests are needed to go on to create the ROM version)

I can do that!