News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

FutureOS corner

Started by TFM, 05:12, 01 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 18:52, 29 March 12
Sure as "instead of" but first this feature should be tested if it's suitable.

It depends on your "working style" or desired level of control.

Part of my all-original-FutureOS-philosophy was to give total control to the user. Therefore the OS does nothing by itself, so nothing happens that screws up your plans. For example: You can get a disc out, write a new file-name on it, and put it back into the drive. The OS will not bother you with reading the DIR again (as long as you don't click DIR again).

Now, if you want the "Rundrum-Sorglos-Paket", the uehm.... baby-sitting option, then the OS can make your life way more easy by caring about that stuff. So you can put discs in or get them out and the OS will automatically detect it and adjust the DIR buffering, so it always reflects the current state. However you don't have total control any longer.

So I suppose a bit-switch which allows to switch between the two modis.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

steve

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:58, 29 March 12

For example: You can get a disc out, write a new file-name on it, and put it back into the drive. The OS will not bother you with reading the DIR again (as long as you don't click DIR again).

Now, if you want the "Rundrum-Sorglos-Paket", the uehm.... baby-sitting option, then the OS can make your life way more easy by caring about that stuff. So you can put discs in or get them out and the OS will automatically detect it and adjust the DIR buffering, so it always reflects the current state. However you don't have total control any longer.

So I suppose a bit-switch which allows to switch between the two modis.

If the user can remove and replace a disk, won't the system corrupt a disk if the wrong disk is put back in?

TFM

Quote from: steve on 21:07, 29 March 12
If the user can remove and replace a disk, won't the system corrupt a disk if the wrong disk is put back in?

Yes, if you replace a disc, then you have to click the DIR icon again.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

steve

As I thought, if the user mistakenly puts the wrong disk in, the OS will corrupt the disk when it next writes to the disk.

TFM

Quote from: steve on 23:17, 29 March 12
As I thought, if the user mistakenly puts the wrong disk in, the OS will corrupt the disk when it next writes to the disk.

Well, even a newbie knows that he/she has to read the DIRectory again after changing the disc. It's clearly stated in the handbook and other guides. So the chance that this happens in reality is quite small.

Now, the discussed feature of the auto-disc-detect would alter this. Any disc put into a drive would be treated as new disc (if new or not).

I never intended to make my OS foolproof. I leave that to Windows(-like) OS. Regarding their customers, they may need it more  :P :laugh: ;)  (Never mind, I have to use windows too at work).
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 10:30, 29 March 12
Or to Auto-DIR the driver you clicked.... (Every step begins with a DIR)
Yes.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Devilmarkus

Whoops... I meant "to Auto-DIR the drive", not "driver"!!!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

Auto-DIR for clicked drives is a nice idea.

Well, since it's FutureOS ( :-X ) I think it's even better to Auto-DIR as soon as you put a disc in a drive  :) 

This way you don't even have to click the drive icon any longer, but the Desktop (drive icons) will show you what's going on  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

You could "enable" (change the colour) of the A and B when a disk is in the drive, that would be cool.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 18:57, 31 March 12
You could "enable" (change the colour) of the A and B when a disk is in the drive, that would be cool.

Bryce.

Yes, that will be a part of it. Well, not the color, but the icon.
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

QuoteYes, that will be a part of it. Well, not the color, but the icon.
It was implemented in my icon sets... sadly the coder did not followed. ;D   

Quotenot the color
we're talking about mode2... "coulour" (or even color, oder farben, ou couleurs, or whatever...(where is my spanish cow or my greek goat ? ;) )) is not a feature here...

TFM

Phase IV Protocol activated.
FutureOS AI took over.

Due to a lack of human ressources the FutureOS AI in the FutureSoft outpost New Orleans took over control.

Suggestions of humans in this database have been considered.

Possible solutions will be presented as soon as verified.

Phase IV Protocol End of Line
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Thanks's to the great Devilmarkus there is now a FutureOS emulator online. You are welcome to check it out at FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

And Thanks' to the great MigualSky the FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus page has now a Castellan translation :-D
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Nich on 20:22, 28 November 11
Well, in my opinion, "get your disc off" sounds rather rude, with lots of sexual connotations! "Please eject the disc" sounds much better.
Quote from: Bryce on 20:34, 28 November 11
Exactly, it should be something like "Please remove the disc".

Bryce.

Well, gentlemen, thanks for your help. I used the latter message, files have been updated.
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

QuoteWell, in my opinion, "get your disc off" sounds rather rude, with lots of sexual connotations! "Please eject the disc" sounds much better.
:laugh:
owww com'on... we're beyond that, it's no more the commercial era of CPCs...

We're not as shy as we used to be when close to a running CPC... And we have that bit of humor I hope.

Devilmarkus

Come on, baby! Drop your disks!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

Hehe! Well, too late now ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

New HGBs (Wallpaper if you like) will come soon... (and also new icons, but sorry now in this one).
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

At the moment HAL6128 and me are writing a handbook for coding, as a byproduct I can already release a disc with wallpapers. See downloads at FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus

If you want to see your pic as wallpaper, just PM or email me.
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

some more pics...
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

That is really cool. Having a background screen on FOS makes such a difference. With custom icons it look even better :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Agree. Especially pixel boobies. You can stare at it for a while.

TFM

As said, just send me your favorite pics, I'll convert them. However, the usable area is more limited to the lower half of the screen.
Like here: (sorry no spheres, boobs, or melons) (just had lunch time to do this one ;))
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

those asses look tighter in mode2... thx the tighter 1x2 pixels I guess...
;D