News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

FutureOS corner

Started by TFM, 05:12, 01 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Release ROManager 1.8

The new PnP compatible ROManager 1.8 features:
- an overworked GUI based on the new CBM interface
- Enhanced error checking
- Functions to display really all RSX of a ROM and their start address
- Hotkeys
- SDP constantly activated
- Plug & Play support for the new X-MEM (Winbond or SST), MegaFlash and FlashGordon
- and a nice Icon ;-)

Download the best ever ROManager (FutureOS) now:
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/ROManager_1.8.zip

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

New Autoinstaller uploaded, which recognizes X-MEM with Winbond and with SST Flash Chip:

FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

ROManager 1.87 released!  :)  New features are:

- Access the lower ROM
- Polished GUI
- Hotkeys for most often used functions:
--- Load ROM
--- Delete ROM
--- Save ROM
--- Show all ROMs and give more information about one of them
--- Park / Unpark ROM
- Shows if Y-MEM is present

Download:
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/ROManager_1.87.zip

Couple screenshots...

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Thanks for all the Likes - that's great motivation to continue doing something on CPC.  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

The great master of the rolling pixel - MacDeath - made some icons for FutureOS.... Now I got half of them in by now... this is a first try... and the reason for posting is to see if people like it. What remains to be changed are the drive / HD icons and the number icons.... But this is mise a jour... (all in French only)...

EDIT: Oh, if you take the four ROM files, please install at 10-13 (A-D).

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 00:44, 21 September 14
New Autoinstaller uploaded, which recognizes X-MEM with Winbond and with SST Flash Chip:

FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus
No on my xmem it doesn't.  Completely wiped the xmem, using internal FW and the install crashes spectacularly when selecting 11 from the menu.

I have an SST flash so also tred the flash gordon, this goes through the motions then fails to flash as if the write protect was on (it isn't)

Regards

Craig.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

All apologies for the problems. I was not able to test the latest update with real hardware since my CTM644 broke 2 weeks ago. I will get a new monitor ASAP. Then I can fix the problem using the real hardware. :-\

And I'm sure that my dear friend "Tasteful" Mr. Ship likes that my monitor broke, since he liked the crash of the installer. Always a great source of motivation.[nb]Somebody crashed his X-MEM and you give that a like? You should really think about your attitude.When I met you in this forum a long time ago, I thought that you are a nice guy. But recently you only show the downside. If Schadenfreude is all you contribute, then ... how poor is that! Nobody is your enemy here. Wake up!!![/nb]  >:(
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 17:46, 26 September 14
All apologies for the problems. I was not able to test the latest update with real hardware since my CTM644 broke 2 weeks ago. I will get a new monitor ASAP. Then I can fix the problem using the real hardware. :-\
hehe no appology needed, I manually installed into 10,11,12 &13 and all is happy. Liking Rom manager 1.87, it seems very quick and pretty efficient, all we need now are those mouse adaptors, or a mx4 symbos compatible mouse card (which will obviously have higher resolution) at this rate I'll need 2 mx4 cards for all the expansions lol.

TFM

Yes, me too!  :laugh:  What do you think about the Bryce-Mouse adaptor? Of course the SF2 mouse is proportional as the analogue joystick of the Plus.

Now coming back to the 'wish list'. Since ROManager 1.87 seems to work the next task is not to make a ROM out of if running with native OS and Firmware. But TBH this can take a bit, because I also want to overwork the disc interface. Let's see how it goes.  :-X
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 19:01, 26 September 14
Yes, me too!  :laugh:  What do you think about the Bryce-Mouse adaptor? Of course the SF2 mouse is proportional as the analogue joystick of the Plus.

I have 2 (Hopefully) ordered, one PS/2 and one USB from the next batch being made by @talrek.

TFM

Ok, during the weekend I added two of the MacDeath number sets... now only the drive icons are missing, the update meanwhile...

You can use the four ROM files for positions 10-13 or the Autoinstaller. (Autoinstaller may crash on X-MEM with SST Flash or FGordon). Please report positive/successful installation here.  :) [size=78%] [/size]
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

radu14m

Autoinstaller crash on my X-MEM, but i manage to install it with the FLASH command ;)
The Rom manager 1.87 works great !!! Better than Roman !

TFM

Quote from: radu14m on 16:02, 02 October 14
Autoinstaller crash on my X-MEM, but i manage to install it with the FLASH command ;) 

Sorry for that. CraigsBar already reported a problem with X-MEM an SST chip. Dunno what's the problem, but ordered SST chips to find out.
Quote from: radu14m on 16:02, 02 October 14The Rom manager 1.87 works great !!! Better than Roman !

Thank you very much! [nb]Interestingly it uses the same routines as the FutureOS installer. Crazy bug in the later one.  :-X [/nb] :)
TFM of FutureSoft

radu14m

yes, mine is SST chip too.

Thanks TFM ! ;)

TFM

Well, the tile tells it all. This is the French version of FutureOS with the complete Icon set created by the famous MacDeath!  :)

Now you can choose also between Spartan Mode ON or OFF (choose corresponding ROM C). The ROMs are made for slots 10-13.

Ok, please @MacDeath: Have a look at it an tell me if all icons are as you wanted them to be. Use WinApe to have access to the Real-Time Clock.

All critics & comments are welcome!

And here the ROMs:
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

doesn't look bad, but now I have to learn how to use FutureOS**...  :laugh:

More seriously it does look nice and proper on winApe = my modern PC flat screens with clean square pxiels...
gotta test it on real CRT monitors, be it big TV or colour Amstrad CPC/PLUS ones...
Mode2 doesn't look always smooth and sharp on those colour CRT so this is the ultimate test indeed.

I guess the way the drives icons work is not quite what I had in mind.

To me the "all black" ones were meant to be the empty ones, those with no actual drives.
the ones with black background and white drive illustration were meant to be the available ones, and the all white for selected ones...

This said I don't really know how to use FutureOS at the moment So I guess some stuff may not work as I imagined.

Also I would have choosen the white trashcan over black background instead or the black trashcan over black background.
Not sure what combinaison would work best anyway on real monitor...

black over white woudl tend to be harder to "read" especially in Mode2 I guess so to choose white letters over black background may be clever choice.

will get a look at the manual indeed and will also get to install it on my ROMboxes.

One detail that annoys me a littlebit : when the roms are put, there are those 3 lines in starting Basic "Ready" screen...
They just don't explain how to actually launch FutureOS.

yeay I know : "ùos" (french) or |os ?

last : the mouse pointer should have a slight black outline so it wouldn't mix with the background the way it does...
But ok I just checked again : it is pure 1bpp so only white and transparancy...
I guess it is an easy way to have it done, but with 1bpp graphics + 1bpp mask it could enable to have it with two solid colours + transparency = more easy to have it seen when over the texts or icons panel.

That the issue with Mode2.

what about the PLUS hardsprite version : is it implemented ?
Just to have it with other colours would easily solve the issue as well.

**talking about this : the manuals are far from easy... you should read the manual for iOS device to see how it can be done for the masses...

sadly I have to install a decent word processor on my Win8 PC I guess.***

***ok I just re-installed libreoffice.
Should do a pdf of the manual with inclusion of icons pictures and some screenshots.

SyX

@TFM: When you have time, don't forget to add a picture with the new icons, because people loves to see pictures of CPC software ;)

MacDeath

There you are.

what about using a grey border ? this would look a bit less sad.

Or the classy CPCish blue+yellow colour set ?

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:14, 08 October 14
I guess the way the drives icons work is not quite what I had in mind.

To me the "all black" ones were meant to be the empty ones, those with no actual drives.
the ones with black background and white drive illustration were meant to be the available ones, and the all white for selected ones...

Ok, icons adapted. Now it makes more sense  :)  Postet new ROM D at original post. Please check.
FutureOS corner

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:14, 08 October 14Also I would have choosen the white trashcan over black background instead or the black trashcan over black background.

Can you please post your favorite one? Then I will integrate it  :)

Good idea about the mouse pointer!

Manuals... oh, hard to make them if you know a system too well. Guess they need a mayor rework. I just don't really know how to do that well.

You can adapt the colors using the "Set Colors" utility on the system disc.

TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Nice icons!

I updated the emulator on FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus and integrated a (very simple) realtime clock.

TFM, please send me the english roms for FutureOS with MacDeath's icons, and I'll update them, too, on the applet page.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

SyX

Quote from: TFM on 03:07, 09 October 14
Manuals... oh, hard to make them if you know a system too well. Guess they need a mayor rework. I just don't really know how to do that well.
Those days maybe is better making video tutorials using an emulator and put them in youtube.

But the most important thing would be people tell what is difficult or not understand and then we can explain how to do it :)

Devilmarkus

Spacechicken doesnt work with realtime clock?  :-\
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

CraigsBar

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:05, 08 October 14
There you are.

what about using a grey border ? this would look a bit less sad.

Or the classy CPCish blue+yellow colour set ?
Loving those new icons. Can we have those in a English romset too please :)

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 10:56, 09 October 14
TFM, please send me the english roms for FutureOS with MacDeath's icons, and I'll update them, too, on the applet page.
Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:48, 09 October 14Loving those new icons. Can we have those in a English romset too please :)

Ger, Eng and Fra will be released as soon as MacDeath is pleased, means all smaller 'errors' are resolved.  :)

Quote from: SyX on 14:40, 09 October 14But the most important thing would be people tell what is difficult or not understand and then we can explain how to do it :)

Very good point! Please everybody tell about difficulties!

TFM of FutureSoft