News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Golden Tail (Development)

Started by reidrac, 21:50, 11 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

So finally I'm opening a development thread here, now that I'm getting close to finish the game (or, in other words, now that it is likely that I'll finish the game  ;D).

If you follow me on Twitter, you probably know about this project (and if you don't,  Juan (@reidrac) | Twitter). I post videos, GIFs and screenshots; mostly related to development and tests (never spoiling actual game screens).

I released a Speccy game earlier this year and it was a lot of fun, so this project started trying to make a simple platformer to make use of lots of features I have introduced into the Space Pest Control engine, but that are sitting in my laptop because I can't get motivated to rewrite all the things I want to change in SPC.

The engine is almost feature complete, including several enemy types with different behaviours and I have 80% of the graphics and 60% of the music. Although I still need to do the level design and test a lot, I think it could be ready by the end of August.

I'm still not completely sure about the gameplay though.

It'll be a pure platform game (jump, avoid things, collect items, don't get killed), in open-world style and inspired by Japanese folklore. The main character (Kitsune) can use "ninja magic" to disappear for some seconds and use that to avoid enemies, move faster and get to places that can't reach normally.

Let me share some screenshots and such and I'll update this thread every now and then (again, I post in Twitter when I have gamedev time!). Please take into account that some content is WIP and may change!

Loading screen
[attach=2]

Menu
[attach=3]

Test screen (caves tileset)
[attach=4]

Early alpha of the "magic" (bambu tileset)

RetroManiac Magazine wrote a note about the game when I stared to work on the engine (in Spanish): RetroManiac | Revista de videojuegos retro |Videogames Magazine | Indie | Games
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Skunkfish

It looks really interesting, looking forward to playing this (particularly to see the 'disappearing' mechanic is used in the gameplay!)
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Carnivius

You know I been following this on Twitter and am looking forward to playing it. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

||C|-|E||

This looks actually really great! Loving it so far  :) I would recommend not to rush it and try to design big challenging levels that exploit the new mechanics. I think that it really has a lot of potential!  :)

reidrac

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 19:13, 12 July 16
This looks actually really great! Loving it so far  :) I would recommend not to rush it and try to design big challenging levels that exploit the new mechanics. I think that it really has a lot of potential!  :)

I'm conflicted. I wanted to do something simple, and it doesn't look simple at all at the moment.

I'd like to make another game for the CPC Retro Dev and I may not have time.

Well, we'll see :) Thanks guys for your support.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

arnoldemu

Interesting idea and it looks nice.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

VincentGR

Looks amazing, thank you!

reidrac

The game's main theme is done. Let's say beta, but I think it is quite final (I already have a nice variation for the "game over").

Enjoy! :)

reidrac

[attach=2]

A quick update!

I've started with the level design and, although the engine is finished, I'm finding some bugs when I'm play-testing the map; which is good, but it also makes things slower.

On the art part there are some things missing: in game music (I'd like to include a couple of tunes), the "Osaka Castle" tileset, and some intro/end game bits.

Currently there are 7 different enemies, but I may add some more (eg, traps for the castle) as I go with the level design. It all depends on how much space I have left (targeting the 464 with one single load). At this point there are 5012 bytes left with around 35% of the screens in, so I think I may have around 1.5K for "extras". Not a lot!

So... end of August looks like a possible release date!

reidrac

Another quick update!

I had some time today after work and I gave a go to the "Osaka Castle" tiles, and this is what I got.

[attach=2]

I like it, although is not the "Japanese Castle" idea I had in mind (given my artistic skills, I can't complain!).

I may review the tileset before the final release (there are a couple of tiles that can be improved), but looks like I'm getting there!

ervin

It's looking great!
(Your artistic skills are certainly better than mine!)

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

reidrac

Probably the last update!

The game is finished now. I have 135 bytes left (again, self-imposed limits of 64K and one single load); that I'm going to keep free just in case I find a bug that needs to be fixed (it happened to me in Castaway that I found an issue after I had like 30 bytes left, and it was challenging to fix!).

Today I've been playing the game in my CPC (loading using the amazing M4 board).

Some pics:

[attach=2]
[attach=3]
[attach=4]

I plan to do some play-beta testing with some friends (I already tested all I could test myself), and unless anything really bad happens, I think I'll release the game next weekend.

So I won't update this thread anymore, other than adding a link to the release thread.

Skunkfish

Wow, wasn't expecting it so soon. Can't wait to play it!  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

reidrac

Made a short teaser:

The testing is done and the game will be released tomorrow evening.

(if anything really bad is found I can fix it afterwards anyway :D)

This time, for real... last update!

Duke

Awesome! Good work - Look forward to the http download :)

EgoTrip

You not entering it into the contest?

reidrac

Quote from: EgoTrip on 23:00, 04 August 16
You not entering it into the contest?

No, Golden Tail won't be submitted to the CPC Retro Dev (actually, I'm going to release it today, and I don't know if you can submit the game to the contest AND release it before the competition ends).

I may or may not enter the contest this year, but if I do... it will be with a different game.

||C|-|E||

It looks fantastic! Looking forward to it!

villain

I think you deserve a badge for being the fastest developer on CPC ever. :-) I'm going to try this during the next days. Thanks!

reidrac

Quote from: villain on 12:02, 05 August 16
I think you deserve a badge for being the fastest developer on CPC ever. :-) I'm going to try this during the next days. Thanks!

Thanks.

I started working on the game back in April, so it's been 4 months (which in "free time" terms is not that much, but still more than I can usually put in a game).

I built on top of what I had in Space Pest Control, so I guess next one will be easier (depending on the requirements, I may have to change or add things).

Gryzor

Been following this on Twitter since the very fist shots, I think... I really do love those pixels :) One for the weekend!

reidrac

VincentGR