News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How do plus hardware sprites work?

Started by zhulien, 11:59, 22 August 21

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

Hi

I am curious to know how plus hardware sprites work.

I know they are memory mapped likely inside memory contained within ASIC.

Upon a screen refresh of normal video memory what is the order of hardware operations that occur for hawdware sprites to render?

Are they rendered in frame? Within the scanline? Is the memory mapped ram read even if a hardware sprite is at a particular overlapping pixel?

Can plus hardware sprites be multiplexed? Has anyone worked out the per scan line limitations or timings to multiplex?

Thanks

roudoudou

you may change sprite data/coordinates anytime, even during display of it (some side effects)
there is almost instant refresh of all sprites, you may display the same sprite many times on a single line if you want (but this will be very time consuming)
sprite data is always from Asic RAM
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Shining

Yes, as roudoudou says. Also you can, like with the normal display, change the sprite palette during the screen is painted.
Like in the beer part in my schnapps demo. There the sprites are reused at the bottom with a different palette.
Also you can use a different sprite-zoom-factor for the multiplexed sprites.
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

andycadley

Yes, the normal video operations occur exactly as if the sprites weren't present. The ASIC internally decides if a pixel is obscured by a hardware sprite and, if so, changes the colour pixel being output.

You can certainly multiplex them and even chop them up by moving them during the part of the screen where they would be displayed. Iirc changing a sprites registers temporarily turns it off during the write, but it's probably in the Arnold V documentation. Multiplexing isn't enormously useful, as it is on say the C64, because you still need to write a new image into the ASIC registers and that's not as quick as one would like.

Targhan

Quote from: andycadley on 12:58, 22 August 21
Multiplexing isn't enormously useful

Mmmh, I don't know anything the Plus, but I guess multiplexing is how @norecess displays the many rings in Sonic GX. So multiplexing shouldn't be dismissed lightly :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

TotO

Quote from: andycadley on 12:58, 22 August 21
Multiplexing isn't enormously useful, as it is on say the C64, because you still need to write a new image into the ASIC registers and that's not as quick as one would like.
Multiplexed sprites are useful and used (arcade and consoles) to draw weapon bullets, snow layers, common ennemies, ...

@Targhan Yes, it allows to display up to 40 rings !!!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

andycadley

Quote from: TotO on 13:43, 22 August 21
Multiplexed sprites are useful and used (arcade and consoles) to draw weapon bullets, snow layers, common ennemies, ...

@Targhan Yes, it allows to display up to 40 rings !!!
I meant very specifically in the case of the Plus hardware. On other machines it's obviously enormously useful, but most other machines making swapping a sprites visual representation very fast, whereas on a Plus you have to write 256 bytes to do it.

andycadley

Quote from: Targhan on 13:29, 22 August 21
Mmmh, I don't know anything the Plus, but I guess multiplexing is how @norecess displays the many rings in Sonic GX. So multiplexing shouldn't be dismissed lightly :) .
The specific case of displaying many rings, where all the multiplexed sprites look the same is one of the cases where you can more easily bend the hardware to do what you want.

On a C64, for example, though you might use the same sprite for the top and bottom half of a play character which is nigh on impossible on the Plus hardware (unless you have insanely precise timing)

TotO

The multiplexing is not related to the sprite data update. So, if your game already update the sprites (not at the same frame) to make something animated, instead of displaying one, you are displaying more.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Targhan

Quote from: andycadley on 14:23, 22 August 21I meant very specifically in the case of the Plus hardware.
The Plus might be limited compared to other hardware, but imagine a shooter with many, many, sprites, thanks to multiplexing (bullets, or enemies). So, one must not think about the weakness, but how the feature can be used in an awesome way.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

zhulien

I was actually thinking if a game like Recca for NES could be possible on a plus.  I guess for waves of the same enemies that should work well. And if animations are kept sparingly we may only need to update actual sprite data between waves.

roudoudou

Quote from: andycadley on 14:23, 22 August 21
whereas on a Plus you have to write 256 bytes to do it.
this is the worst case, not a rule  ;D

andycadley

Quote from: Targhan on 14:43, 22 August 21
The Plus might be limited compared to other hardware, but imagine a shooter with many, many, sprites, thanks to multiplexing (bullets, or enemies). So, one must not think about the weakness, but how the feature can be used in an awesome way.
I'm a massive fan of the Plus hardware, I certainly think it has enormous scope for achieving things beyond how far it has been pushed so far. I'm also quite willing to admit it has some weaknesses compared to other machines (those the tradeoffs aren't all one way, the advantage to having the sprites defined the way they are on the Plus is that there aren't sprite-on-a-line limitations like there are on other machines for example)

If you can find a way to make multiplexed sprites work in your game then definitely go for it, but even if you can't it certainly doesn't make them useless either.

roudoudou

Quote from: andycadley on 16:49, 22 August 21
If you can find a way to make multiplexed sprites work in your game then definitely go for it, but even if you can't it certainly doesn't make them useless either.
maybe you miss this tech-demo with 3 sprites for bullets...
https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=17425

andycadley

Quote from: roudoudou on 17:17, 22 August 21

I'd not seen that particular one, but I had my own multiplexer that would attempt to juggle sprites around so they could be reused for a shoot em up that never went anywhere.

The trick was having enemies use different animation frames so that all the frames would be "in use" at the same time you'd just cycle which ones were assigned to which enemies. And occasionally drop frames on a cyclic basis (like a lot of GB sprite engines) so if the screen got too busy everything would still work but a flicker slightly.

zhulien

Quote from: andycadley on 17:50, 22 August 21
The trick was having enemies use different animation frames so that all the frames would be "in use" at the same time you'd just cycle which ones were assigned to which enemies. And occasionally drop frames on a cyclic basis (like a lot of GB sprite engines) so if the screen got too busy everything would still work but a flicker slightly.

Actually that is a great idea that I didn't see before applying to hardware sprites (software sprites would be the norm).  Imagine each spaceship having 3 frames of animation, moving forward, bank left/bank right.  instead of updating the sprite data, re-assign the frame from the bank of available sprites that can be multiplexed. 

zhulien

Quote from: roudoudou on 17:17, 22 August 21

Is there a downloadable version of that demo somewhere? or perhaps youtube video?

roudoudou

Quote from: zhulien on 00:11, 23 August 21

Is there a downloadable version of that demo somewhere? or perhaps youtube video?
the message you quoted contains a link  :laugh:

norecess464

Quote from: zhulien on 11:59, 22 August 21Upon a screen refresh of normal video memory what is the order of hardware operations that occur for hawdware sprites to render?
Quote from: zhulien on 11:59, 22 August 21Are they rendered in frame? Within the scanline?
Scanline.
Like @roudoudou mentioned, hardware sprites "follows" the canon beam (like a typical "raster"). At each iterations, the ASIC sprite coordinates / properties / etc and reevaluated, so you can make funny things like multiplexing (change X/Y positions, scaling, etc).

Quote from: zhulien on 11:59, 22 August 21Is the memory mapped ram read even if a hardware sprite is at a particular overlapping pixel?
Yes. The overlapping is defined by sprite order, cf. Sprite0 will overlap Sprite1, that will overlap Sprite2, etc etc. The pen0 is used for transparency, so a sprite can use pen1-15.
There is an issue with memory writes. If you update the sprite's content while it's being rendered, some white artifacts can appear, because the ASIC is busy writing so it can't read the value back. So you are better to update a sprite before it's being rendered.
Also, please note that memory location is fixed. Unlike the C64 where you define which memory location is used for a sprite, the ASIC uses #4000 for Sprite0, #4100 for Sprite1, etc. This is a severe limitation because it implies developer must update the sprite's content or switch to another sprite to do animation. While the sprite's data is 256-bytes large in memory, of course the trick here is to update only the bytes that changed.. updating sprites on a 25hz basis instead of 50hz is also another workaround.

Quote from: zhulien on 11:59, 22 August 21Can plus hardware sprites be multiplexed? Has anyone worked out the per scan line limitations or timings to multiplex?
Yes for multiplex. Weirdly, this was not exploited during the commercial existence of the GX-4000... the tech-demo from @Overflow referenced above with all those bullets displayed on screen is the best example that comes to me. SonicGX also makes uses of sprite multiplexing to display rings.
Note that sprite positions are based on "Mode 2 sprite pixels", which means X value can be > 255, so it's 2 bytes to update. When you start playing with sprites being dynamically re-positioned during the frame display, updating 3 bytes (2 for X, 1 for Y) on a scanline basis starts to become loud to manage. So here again, there are different strategies to ease the process (avoid to update all values at the same time, etc).

--
Now going further... I would like to point things that really sucks with the ASIC sprites (when compared to traditional consoles):
- inability to define a memory location
- inability to mirror / vertical flip a sprite

But, the ASIC features 16 (SIXTEEN !) hardware sprites, which is pretty great when compared to the C64's 8 hardware sprites.
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

roudoudou

Quote from: norecess on 13:58, 23 August 21
Yes for multiplex. Weirdly, this was not exploited during the commercial existence of the GX-4000...
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

:P

dthrone

Quote from: norecess on 13:58, 23 August 21There is an issue with memory writes. If you update the sprite's content while it's being rendered, some white artifacts can appear, because the ASIC is busy writing so it can't read the value back.

I see this issue on real GX but not in Winape so I don't think this effect is included in the emulation.  Are any plus emulators taking this into account?

zhulien

norecess464

@roudoudou I was curious so I checked :) (see attached screenshot). I always thought there was no sprite multiplexing in that screen. But now I see you are right :) Elmar stored 2 entire palms (to get the 2 trees at same level) and yes indeed make use of multiplexing. Good catch !
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Optimus

I always thought "sprite multiplexing" means to draw more than the theoritical max on the screen by changing the sprite positions at certain rasterlines. I thought that was the main definition even on C64. I know the C64 can change the address or something while the CPC+ uses the same sprite, but I never thought that as the definition of multiplexing so like when I read on the wiki. Even with just changing positions and other stuff it's still very powerful.

zhulien

Sprites 8 to 15 are all the same, i am guessing it was just faster to process than multiplex the 1 sprite all the way down the trunk? or... that is the limit of trees display on a horizontal?