News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to scroll / shift screen content??

Started by HAL6128, 21:00, 04 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

HAL6128

Just a short question: is there a possibility to scroll or shift the screen content without changing the screen base address as it is with a hardware scroll?

For example in BASIC modus: if I scroll with help of the cursor the screen at the end one line down or up and do "LOCATE 1,1:PRINT "TEST"" then the message is done in the correct position. If I do a hardware scroll (like it is done here: http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/source/hardscrl.html) then the message and everything else is also shifted.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

roudoudou

if you do not change the screen base adress it's obviously moving data with CPU (most of games are redrawing the entire screen)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

HAL6128

What happens then if the firmware scrolls one line up or down (e.g. with the firmware call &BC4D)? It doesn't seem to change the base address or is it calculating afterwards? The area scrolled outside seems to be deleted and doesn't appear on the other side again.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

andycadley

The firmware changes the base address. It just also does the work to clear the scrolled in area.

IndyUK

Quote from: andycadley on 21:31, 04 May 20
The firmware changes the base address. It just also does the work to clear the scrolled in area.
Hi

Sorry to be cheeky and piggy back on this thread but, can you please explain exactly what this firmware call scrolls? Having read about this in the firmware guide, I can't see which part of the memory is being targetted. I put some test code together a few weeks ago (must go back to it) and remember thinking to myself at that time, how does one use this?

Thanks