News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hyperdrive (development)

Started by reidrac, 10:20, 20 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

Just an idea... can the CPR be shrinked to 256 KB? 
Then it could be used with the M4 board too (I mean providing half of the ROM space for the CPR)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

reidrac

Quote from: GUNHED on 02:30, 11 December 22Just an idea... can the CPR be shrinked to 256 KB?
Then it could be used with the M4 board too (I mean providing half of the ROM space for the CPR)

I use it in my M4 as it is with no problems, not sure why you would need to make is smaller. It is also explained in the game's website: the CPR works on the M4.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

reidrac

I have added a ZIP with the CPR processed so it can be loaded in the MiSTer as expansion ROM. For those lucky enough to have one of these :)

(all thanks to @abalore)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

VincentGR

Probably he says that due to the limitation.
You can access only 16 roms with a 512KB cartridge.

reidrac

Quote from: VincentGR on 11:59, 11 December 22Probably he says that due to the limitation.
You can access only 16 roms with a 512KB cartridge.

Oh, I get it now. Although in theory the CPR format allows having empty blocks (IIRC), but I found that some emulators don't handle that as expected so I decided to pad the banks and provide a "full" CPR even if some of it is not used.

Hyperdrive uses 12 banks only, so all good!

GUNHED

Quote from: reidrac on 09:48, 11 December 22
Quote from: GUNHED on 02:30, 11 December 22Just an idea... can the CPR be shrinked to 256 KB?

I use it in my M4 as it is with no problems, not sure why you would need to make is smaller. It is also explained in the game's website: the CPR works on the M4.
Because of the number of expansion ROMs which I need to reinstall after usage of the CPR, but maybe I missed the point here.
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

eto

Can I burn a cartridge-EPROM with the ROM file in the ZIP? Also to a 256KB EPROM?

Its size is 524KB and I was just wondering if there might be something wrong with the file or if it's simply too long with empty data.

GUNHED

The CPR format contains additional information compared to a pure binary file. 
There are tools to revert CPR to BINany ROM files.

In this case: The ROM file is for Dandanator, maybe it contains Dandanator-specific code, but only @reidrac can tell.  :)

reidrac

That's right: the ROM is for Dandanator (it uses specifics for changing banks), the CPR is not RAW format and it is "padded" for a full cartridge.

You can convert the CPR to binary and use that; and it will be OK to truncate it to 192K (the rest is not used).

TotO

@eto It is what I have though some days ago.
It is finaly a CPC ROM game, but no ROM boards release.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Duke

@reidrac  Thanks for this magnificent game. Well done!

reidrac

There are a couple of long plays in YT (one of them with no death!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmXBXPWNbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9EBnnsfPKk

So far, all the people I know have played the game on the real hw (464 and 6128), have used use an M4 and the CPR. I guess some people here may have played on a GX4000 with the C4CPC.

Anyway, I was told the game will be reviewed in Retro Gamer UK no. 234 (which is May already!).

Gryzor

He's a maniac alright 😄

Sykobee (Briggsy)

No lives lost? Time for "Hyperdrive - The Deeper Galaxies" operating in complete b*st*rd mode.

Gryzor

Well you can try finishing it with a 100% kill ratio first :)

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:24, 24 January 23Well you can try finishing it with a 100% kill ratio first :)

Not sure if that's possible, but you never know :laugh:

Completing the game is achievable, but no death is definitely hard!

merman

Quote from: reidrac on 09:02, 24 January 23There are a couple of long plays in YT (one of them with no death)

Anyway, I was told the game will be reviewed in Retro Gamer UK no. 234 (which is May already!).

It's in Issue 243, which is out mid February.

reidrac

Quote from: merman on 19:51, 24 January 23
Quote from: reidrac on 09:02, 24 January 23There are a couple of long plays in YT (one of them with no death)

It's in Issue 243, which is out mid February.

Hah! At least I had the digits, even if in the wrong order. Than you.

Mr. DVG

Excuse me for replying on this somewhat outdated post, but I wanted to know if it is possible to install this game on M4 board.

If so, how do I install it?

Thanks in advance for any response! :)

asertus

Hi, yes, simply download cpr version, save in micro sd and you can run from M4. No prob.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: asertus on 19:14, 29 May 23Hi, yes, simply download cpr version, save in micro sd and you can run from M4. No prob.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm probably doing something wrong! :-\

Do you have to enter some command by any chance?

Directly I can't start the .cpr format, as I do for example with .dsk files

P.S. - I use "M4 explorer frontrend from Rafa32" to load games.

asertus

Normally I load cpr from "command line", 

|CTRUP,"cartimg.cpr"

Be sure your firmware is, at least, 2.02 or 2.03.. I have the latest., 2.07.

reidrac

Thanks @asertus! Better explained than I ever could :)

I run it on my 464 using the M4 and it works beautifully.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: asertus on 15:39, 30 May 23Normally I load cpr from "command line",

|CTRUP,"cartimg.cpr"

Be sure your firmware is, at least, 2.02 or 2.03.. I have the latest., 2.07.

As for the firmware I have 2.06, but I realized that among the many problems I also have the French keyboard and when I press the "|" key it gives me the character "ù"... :-\

reidrac

I load it using the web interface 8)