News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

I Was clever in the early 90's!! My Early attempt at an amstrad Mp3 lol

Started by Boomow, 21:42, 14 February 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomow

Something i found on an old 3" disc from early 90s

run"music.ldr" on your amstrad

after the disc is dumped to your amstrad 6128 memory press any key

Optimus

Is that compressed samples or a simple sample player?
Does a bit of hissing sound.

Boomow

If I remember rightly I was experimenting at the time with trying to capture voice for a game I was making that never got finished and I got side tracked and started carturing music instead through the tape input on my Amstrad prob off a tape player or cd player I can't remember

Andy

ralferoo

I remember one of the very early Amstrad Action covertapes (not AA4, so maybe the next Christmas at AA16) had a program that took about 5 minutes to load and played about 10 seconds of digitised voice.

It seemed impressive back then... :)

Gryzor

Axelay

Impressive bit of digitising.  :)  Think it might be a better quality sound than what I recall getting out of the Ultrasound utility too.

Boomow

Thanks guys haha , it actually sounds better playing it through my real amstrad rather than an emulator on my pc , i have found quite a few programs , been dumping discs onto my cased hxc that i have just got :) trying to keep them safe ,  although i have had to hit retry on most discs quite a few times some of the discs are really on there last legs at least there safe now on an SD card , i wonder if an SD card would survive all those years though!

robcfg

You'd better do a couple of copies on hard disk or other devices, and maybe upload a copy to the CPCWiki...  ;D

steve

Reading the Vintage computer forum it seems that the 8" floppy disks were very reliable, maybe we should use them for long term, reliable storage?
Since these disks are hard to find now, we will need Bryce to make them for us :laugh:

Boomow

Haha  ;D it is true though burning DVDs isn't reliable, memory cards I doubt it , hard drives don't last!!

Virgin media gave me unlimited cloud storage online which I've been uploading too for a week now there not going to like it though I'm up to 300 gig already and theres a long way to go !!

Andy

Bryce

The cloud is probably just a huge array of 8in disks! They just won't admit it :D

On a serious note, the UPD765 used in the 6128 and DDI-1 is actually able to control 8in disk drives with a few minor mods, so if anyone wants to connect one up, let me know and I'll let you know what needs to be changed.

Bryce.

Boomow

I wonder how many 8" discs a normal users back up would take  :laugh:

McKlain

Quote from: Boomow on 18:29, 19 February 12
I wonder how many 8" discs a normal users back up would take  :laugh:

I keep a backup of my HD movies in a few of these:  ;D

robcfg

Thing is, I do have an 8" drive. Maybe one of these days, I'll connect it to the CPC just for the lulz  ;D

Boomow

Hahaha Yeah something that size should cover one HD movie!

Ive just finished rescuing what's left of my CF2 discs onto a memory card only about half of them survived the keep side of my desk , the rest of them i got fed up of hitting Retry or ignore on the Amstrad so chucked them in the bin LOL

Took so long because i kept getting curious what some of the programs were on the discs so had to run them

Never mind hey!

MiguelSky

Quote from: Bryce on 13:46, 19 February 12On a serious note, the UPD765 used in the 6128 and DDI-1 is actually able to control 8in disk drives with a few minor mods, so if anyone wants to connect one up, let me know and I'll let you know what needs to be changed.
I'll mount one of these drives internally :D

Bryce

Quote from: McKlain on 20:44, 19 February 12
I keep a backup of my HD movies in a few of these:  ;D

So that's "Movies starting with "A", where did you store "Movies starting with "B"...." ? :D

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Boomow on 21:42, 14 February 12
Something i found on an old 3" disc from early 90s

run"music.ldr" on your amstrad

after the disc is dumped to your amstrad 6128 memory press any key

Reminds me on Ultra Son.
It was a tool to record audio from the 464's tape drive.
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=4194

I used it when I improved JavaCPC's virtual tape drive emulation:
http://cpc-live.com/ultrason
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Boomow

Yeah i think its something similar to that i prob used in the first place , i remember if i uprated the bit rate too high during the capture the Poor little amstrads processor couldn't handel it :(
but playing back wasn't an issue just the lack of space even using a ram pack lol

Devilmarkus

Do you still have ASM sources, how to capture audio from tape?
(Could be interesting to improve that, to sample up to 576k :D )

ralferoo

Hmmm, to be honest, you've kind of hit the limit of the CPC's tape-as-music-source abilities...

The absolutely best you can ever get is easy to determine - play an audio tape in the 464 tape deck and listen to the mangled mess you get from effectively having a comparator and deciding whether the bit is 1 or 0 from that.

You can get much better results out from the tape deck by outputting PWM, but to read PWM you'd need a sigma-delta ADC in the tape deck instead of an op-amp.

Devilmarkus

So, why not sample via the Expansion port?

I once made a tool which converts 8 bit mono WAV to a suitable CPC format (RAW) and splits the parts into 16k segments...
But thats a Java-Tool...
Its simple nowadays to do this...
But real hardware usage is always better ;)

Example for Digiblaster with 576k CPC: