News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Interesting Type-Ins.

Started by AMSDOS, 11:14, 29 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

I'd thought I'd start a new thread where people can put an interesting type-in from a magazine or just something they have knocked up. It doesn't need to be something ground breaking, it could simply be something which works well or something with a nice effect for example. :)

I dug out this old game from AA which I mentioned in the Scrolling Thread called "Apple Days", it's a simple game of catching the apples falling from the tree into your basket, though the extra factor the game has is some Hardware Scrolling which moves the screen as your moving your Basket, kind of giving the Illusion of movement, though your basket is always centre of the screen. :) I typed this game in thinking it was pretty good and was running pretty smoothly, though after I ironed the bugs I'd made in it, there were more bugs, even though their Typewriter codes were correct for the lines which were buggy. So I've polished the program up a bit so it looks better. :) It could be polished up a bit more, perhaps I'll do if I enhance the program a bit more. :)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Maybe if this catches on we should also create a wiki page/repository for the listings?

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:42, 04 December 12
Maybe if this catches on we should also create a wiki page/repository for the listings?
How about this page?

This recent discussion about type-ins has reminded me that I ought to upload more Amstrad Action type-ins, but I never seem to find the time to do it! :(

ervin

Yes, me too!
I really should continue my ACU type-ins project one of these days... but it's so time consuming!

AMSDOS

Hi guys. Interesting discussion though I wasn't asking for much, just a thread with some interesting Type-ins in it.  ;D
I guess the only problem with that is what would people define as interesting, I was trying to keep it as easy as possible by saying it could simply be a type-in with a nice effect or something appealing. Everyone would agree that a type-ins with Machine Code Loaders could mean some nice treats when it comes to testing out the final product, unfortunately "DATA" statements probably won't mean a lot unless you can read M/C.  :D  Though I guess it's open to debate.  ;D

@Nich the list of programs you have there from your link are extremely nice programs and I dare say some of those are lengthy, unsure "Apple Days" falls into that bunch of programs, though I thought it was nice enough to have in here.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Quote from: NichQuote from: Gryzor on 04 December 2012, 17:42:18Maybe if this catches on we should also create a wiki page/repository for the listings?
How about this page?

This recent discussion about type-ins has reminded me that I ought to upload more Amstrad Action type-ins, but I never seem to find the time to do it!
Ooh, shame on me.

AMSDOS

I guess if Time is an issue, you could always look up CPC-Power and see if the program already exists. It may just be the program has been typed in cause it was in another magazine and it just needs the English to go back into the program.  :o

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Got around to typing in this 3D Star Field program. Considering it was all done in BASIC, it's going to show, though given it's calculating the movement and is full of arrays, it's interesting to see the approach they have used. :)

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

What do you mean "it's going to show"? I'm getting 10fps[nb]With WinAPE set to 1000%[/nb]! 

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:09, 18 December 12
What do you mean "it's going to show"? I'm getting 10fps[nb]With WinAPE set to 1000%[/nb]!

I'd probably get 10fps easy out of a 386sx @ 16Mhz!  :laugh:

May have a look at this Star Field program under CPC Basic 3, it maybe able to generate some Assembly from it.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

In Issue 66 of AA came an interesting game of Pyramids. I haven't seen another game quite like this before and you can watch the Computer play against the Computer, or you can play against the Computer (either as Player 1 or Player 2), or 2 Players can also play this game.

The idea of this game is to use the Pattern shown on the Right hand side and match up the Colours, the Cursor keys are used to position where you want to place the pattern, the placing is kind of important (especially if you're playing against the computer) and a bit of luck is involved regarding what pattern you receive which is random. The more colours you can match up the more points you score and towards the end whoever has the most points wins. In addition to placement you ran rotate the patterns clockwise so it's always good to rotate the pattern into position where some points can be scored (up to 4 points if you're lucky), and the likely event you cannot place a pattern onto the board, you can pass, unfortunately this gives the opportunity for your opponent to score more points.

This program has already popup in a couple of places on NVG & CPC-Power has got a copy of it, though I've had a go at making this program run on a 464 in BASIC 1.0. The result is a functioning game which looks like the original. The original game had Graphic Pen commands, some PEN & MOVE statements with the additional parameters being used & some MASK commands were also used to draw up the board. For the Board I've gone to the trouble to incorporate my own plotting routine (with some modifications) to generate a criss-crossing effect which the MASK was doing, there are probably other more effective techniques which could be done in BASIC to generate this, I was more concerned with getting the right dimensions of the board and play around with my routine, it hasn't produce the fastest effect and even the original program is faster than my assembly routine.

With my version earlier there seemed to be some minor bugs in the game which weren't occurring in the original version, though I made some modifications and didn't notice any more bugs occurring, that's not to say there not there, I wouldn't say they were serious and the game is still playable, though it was kind of happening during the gameplay, not all the time though. I'm unsure if it's  because of a bit of a different between BASIC 1.0 and BASIC 1.1 respectively, in some places I had to change the listing so it would look better in BASIC 1.0.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

I came across some interesting suite of Circle/Oval routines from an old issue of Your Computer which I thought was interesting enough to attach here along with the article for people who love Circle routines or like to see different approach to making Circles.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Border_7

Gotta love those old Your Computer mags! (Popular Computing Weekly & Home Computing weekly have some interesting type-ins as well)  ;D
01000001 01101101 01110011 01110100 01110010
01100001 01100100
01000011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110101
01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111

AMSDOS

Quote from: Border_7 on 00:40, 06 May 13
Gotta love those old Your Computer mags! (Popular Computing Weekly & Home Computing weekly have some interesting type-ins as well)  ;D

Don't know which magazine it's from, though I've got a scan of a programs called Skyscrapers, initially I just thought it might of been another Bomber clone, though it sounds more like a PC game called "Bouncing Babies" where something falls out of a Skyscraper and you guide your trampoline so they land on it and bounce to safety. If it's any good I'll stick it in here.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: AMSDOS on 07:39, 06 May 13

Don't know which magazine it's from, though I've got a scan of a programs called Skyscrapers, initially I just thought it might of been another Bomber clone, though it sounds more like a PC game called "Bouncing Babies" where something falls out of a Skyscraper and you guide your trampoline so they land on it and bounce to safety. If it's any good I'll stick it in here.

Well typed it in, it's got some nice graphical touches to it and I thought the use of colour looked fine for Mode 1, though the Game is quite difficult and in some cases if the man falls into the corner, even if your men are there with the trampoline, they die!  ???  I found some bugs in the game (ones I made), though I think I've fixed them all, this is also a good example of a game which needs the keyboard buffer to be cleared once it's Game Over, so I've used a "WHILE INKEY$<>"":WEND", which works on all the computers.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Heheh nice little silly type-in...

Border_7

Skycapers! Nice  :D  Looks like it came from one of those multi-platform mags...
01000001 01101101 01110011 01110100 01110010
01100001 01100100
01000011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110101
01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:31, 06 May 13
Heheh nice little silly type-in...

Didn't consider it silly enough for the Silly thread, plus that's all my stuff I consider silly.  ;D

QuoteSkycapers! Nice    Looks like it came from one of those multi-platform mags...

Some of the stuff that they have in those multi-platform magazines is very impressive. That Popular Computing Weekly for example has some game called Road Toad which is entirely M/C spanning over 3 issues, probably not Interesting in the sense it comprises mostly of Data Statements, though looks like a nice gem which could be added to the list of games Nich was pointing to.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Nich

Quote from: AMSDOS on 12:06, 07 May 13
Some of the stuff that they have in those multi-platform magazines is very impressive. That Popular Computing Weekly for example has some game called Road Toad which is entirely M/C spanning over 3 issues, probably not Interesting in the sense it comprises mostly of Data Statements, though looks like a nice gem which could be added to the list of games Nich was pointing to.  :D
There is a short (5K) program already on NVG called Road Toad. Could this be the same program? Please could you let me know which issues of PCW it was published in?

I've been tidying up NVG a bit recently and have moved some type-in games where they should belong (i.e. the games/typeins directory), but there is still a lot more work to do! :laugh:

Johnny Olsen

Yes Nich it's the same program.

Here is a 8k version with 28k dat file.

Popular Computing Weekly vol 5 no 38-39-40  1986.

AMSDOS

Cool, that'll save some of the typing.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Nich

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 22:53, 09 May 13
Yes Nich it's the same program.

Here is a 8k version with 28k dat file.

Popular Computing Weekly vol 5 no 38-39-40  1986.
Thanks very much for this. I have just uploaded it to the games/typeins directory of NVG.

Carnivius

I've not noticed that Type-Ins section before.

Just looking at this one Axys: The Last Battle - CPCWiki  The player's ship sprite looks very likely based on the one from the classic Amiga shooter Battle Squadron though it isn't mentioned in the article.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

AMSDOS

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:20, 04 June 13
I've not noticed that Type-Ins section before.

It's been there for ages, though it's had a face lift to have that list of significant games included there. Unfortunately it's not kept very up to date  :'(  Cause there are probably more type-ins which have been typed-in, which haven't been added to be available from there. I'm unsure if there was some plan to link it to the Type-ins from NVG?? CPC-Power had the most complete list of Type-ins until it went down, though I know it didn't have a lot of Type-ins from Amstrad Action, except for some of the nicer type-ins (mostly games I think) & I've only added a few from our Australian The Amstrad User which are mainly games as well.

QuoteJust looking at this one Axys: The Last Battle - CPCWiki  The player's ship sprite looks very likely based on the one from the classic Amiga shooter Battle Squadron though it isn't mentioned in the article.

I've known about this game since the days of AA, which reviewed it on their Public Domain pages, though I'm lead to believe that this isn't in the Public Domain which is interesting and it was only recently I found out it was a Type-in.  :o  When I played it I just thought it was a flashy version of the early FTL (Faster Than Light) "Light Force" which was on one of the earlier AA Covertapes.

Your Computer Programs

copychr$

[attachimg=1]

This material has been presented in several issues of CPC Oxygen web-magazine about 10 years back.

Copychr$ turned out to be useful in 3 different programs and everything later was on a single web page with a dsk download.
Use is limited to 6128, as copychr$ function is new in Basic 1.1

But, to leave things digestible, they get separated out again into parts and you will have to wait on the next installment as is proper.
Please allow for some inconsistencies or lack of context.

As type-ins they were fully documented in the type-along learn-along tradition that weaned us ...
So, prepare for some overbearing presentation, especially seeing as to how this first program doesn't actually do anything :-)
It's a pretty fair showcasing of copychr$ though and sets up the rest.

The attached Introduction.doc holds a walk through and information on use of copychr$.

The Basic 1.1 program ZIP.BAS consists of two parts: a Demo and a Module.

When you Run it, all you see is the Module at work. Only when hitting "Return" will you get the Demo.
Demo, as is, allows you to chain CATs while swapping discs or changing drives, until you Run or Load a file or Quit.

Module ZIPCAT.CPC 1K, a Basic only Module in LINEs 64000-
It's job is to return a file name you select on screen with the Arrow keys, to any main program.

Hitting the "Return" key chooses a file name. The Demo now awaits your choice; hit "R, L, M, C or Q" to get better than a BEEP.
Please note the use of a flag drive in Line 64010. Default is fdr=2 for a 2-drive system. Set fdr=1 for 1 drive.  Spacebar switches drives.

The following code is not usable as it is broken at width 80! Refer to the copychrs.dsk please, post #28.

10 REM ** ZIP.BAS **
20 'Lines 10-1000 are a DEMO calling ZIPCAT.CPC in lines 64000-
30 '
90 INK 0,10:INK 1,0:BORDER 10
100 GOSUB 200:END
200 GOSUB 64000 'Zipcat.cpc will return filename c$
210 LOCATE 5,2:PRINT "Run  Load  More  Cat  Quit"
300 tex$="RLMCQ":GOSUB 900:ON k GOTO 310,320,330,340,350
310 IF c$=SPACE$(12) THEN 340 ELSE CLS:RUN c$
320 IF c$=SPACE$(12) THEN 340 ELSE CLS:LOAD c$
330 LOCATE 5,2:PRINT CHR$(18);"Your Code Here":FOR zip=1 TO 2000:NEXT
340 GOTO 200
350 RETURN
360 '
900 REM ** Merci Monsieur Archambault
910 r$="":WHILE r$="":r$=UPPER$(INKEY$):WEND
920 k=INSTR(tex$,r$):IF k=0 THEN PRINT CHR$(7);:GOTO 910
930 RETURN
1000 '
64000 REM ** module ZIPCAT.CPC v2.0 (c)2002 by F. Leighton
64010 fdr=2:MODE 2:fb%=0:x%=1:y%=7:x2%=61:y2%=25:LOCATE 1,4:CAT
64020 FOR z%=8 TO 25:LOCATE 9,z%:IF COPYCHR$(#0)="."THEN NEXT ELSE y2%=z%-1
64030 FOR c%=29 TO 69 STEP 20:LOCATE c%,y%:IF COPYCHR$(#0)="."THEN NEXT ELSE x2%
=c%-28
64040 LOCATE 30,y2%+2:PRINT CHR$(24);" * C=Cat * ";CHR$(24);
64100 GOSUB 64200
64110 IF INKEY(2)<>-1 THEN y%=y%+1:GOTO 64100
64120 IF INKEY(0)<>-1 THEN y%=y%-1:GOTO 64100
64130 IF INKEY(1)<>-1 THEN x%=x%+20:GOTO 64100
64140 IF INKEY(8)<>-1 THEN x%=x%-20:GOTO 64100
64150 IF INKEY(18)<>-1 THEN LOCATE 30,y2%+2:PRINT c$;:GOTO 64500
64160 IF INKEY(62)<>-1 THEN 64000 'C
64170 IF INKEY(47)<>-1 AND fdr=2 THEN LOCATE 7,5:IF COPYCHR$(#0)="A"THEN |B:GOTO
64000 ELSE |A:GOTO 64000 'Space
64180 CALL &BB06:GOTO 64110
64200 IF y%<7 THEN y%=y2% ELSE IF y%>y2% THEN y%=7
64210 IF x%<1 THEN x%=x2% ELSE IF x%>x2% THEN x%=1
64220 IF y%=yb% THEN IF x%=xb% AND fb% THEN 64500
64300 c$=SPACE$(12):z%=0:FOR c%=x% TO x%+11:z%=z%+1:LOCATE c%,y%:MID$(c$,z%,1)=C
OPYCHR$(#0):NEXT
64400 IF fb% THEN LOCATE xb%,yb%:PRINT bk$;ELSE fb%=1
64410 LOCATE x%,y%:PRINT CHR$(24);c$;CHR$(24);:xb%=x%:yb%=y%:bk$=c$
64500 fr!=FRE(""):RETURN

I was tickled to find thread
run"$ - or another disc directory tool
by SRS and his $.BAS program. Talk about synchronicity, the similarity in purpose is quiet striking.
With instant file selection over the whole range of CPCs, we may now safely chuck all non 8-bit machinery ...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Please note some modifications:
Zip file removed. Much smaller doc file reposted.
All code is now in copychrs.dsk at foot of post #28.