News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Inventory user interface advice needed

Started by Arnaud, 14:16, 15 February 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnaud

[attach=1,msg183684]

Hello,
here a "preview" of the user interface i'm coding.
There are two places in inventory : backpack and hands.

I use two buttons (or fire button and a key), button for action and button for inventory :
- To enter in inventory Inv button then i use directions to select an object
- To enter in hand i press again to inv button

- To put an object in hand Inv button then select object (on or empty slot to clean hand) then fire button
- To use an object in press two times to inv button then select hand then fire button

- When an object is taken it is directly set in hand (or inventory if it can't be held)

What do think ?
Arnaud

PS : The screenshot is not from CPC, it's only to show example.

Singaja

That kinda resembles a simplified concept of inventory in Blizzard's Diablo series. Since the water melon seems to be a consumable , perhaps just pressing 1-6 would allow user to immediately use a backpack item at a given slot. That's how Diablo's belt with potions works.

Arnaud

Quote from: Singaja on 16:01, 15 February 20
That kinda resembles a simplified concept of inventory in Blizzard's Diablo series. Since the water melon seems to be a consumable , perhaps just pressing 1-6 would allow user to immediately use a backpack item at a given slot. That's how Diablo's belt with potions works.

Effectively add number key to directly use inventory object is a good idea.

teopl

If you you want to use less keys (INV, FIRE, directions):

Maybe to focus on hands the first time you press INV? This way you can use the object faster.

Then you can move between hands with directions.

If you press FIRE on full hand you will then have 2 options: FIRE again = use that item, INV = puts the item back to inventory (hand is empty now)

If you press FIRE on empty hand you will focus on inventory part where you can use directions to select item.

Then when you press fire on the item, the item is put in the hand which was empty before and you are focused to that hand again to be able to use the item now.

If you press INV on any hand or any item in the inventory part or FIRE on empty item in inventory - the window closes.

Arnaud

Quote from: teopl on 16:46, 15 February 20
Maybe to focus on hands the first time you press INV? This way you can use the object faster.
Yes, totally right

If you press FIRE on full hand you will then have 2 options: FIRE again = use that item, INV = puts the item back to inventory (hand is empty now)

If you press FIRE on empty hand you will focus on inventory part where you can use directions to select item.

Then when you press fire on the item, the item is put in the hand which was empty before and you are focused to that hand again to be able to use the item now.
I'd simplify your idea to use the same behavior on empty on full hand

If you press FIRE on hand : use the item
If you press INV on hand :  select in inventory where to put or take the object

If you press INV on any hand or any item in the inventory part or FIRE on empty item in inventory - the window closes.
If you press INV when selected on inventory the window closes (or handle Esc key but not great)

Thanks @teopl it help me a lot.