News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Need help with a BASIC program

Started by EgoTrip, 13:06, 17 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

I am working on a BASIC game, and have got stuck. If anyone is good with BASIC, and importantly has the time to work on this with me, then can you drop me a PM please. Thanks.

tastefulmrship

What's the problem you got? It might end up being an easy fix.
If you don't want to divulge the contents just yet, then outline what you want to the program to do and we'll see if we can help.

EgoTrip

Nah not an easy fix, I need help with caculating formulas and stuff. Maths was never my strong point, and to be honest the way this project is going its looking like i'll need more than just a little help but someone to collaborate with.

I dont want to give away what the game is going to be just yet, its definitely something that does not exist in the form I am making as the CPC was around before it got popular, but its a strategy/luck based game played against the CPU, the AI I have in mind is not overly complex though.

Morn

Sure, we'll try to help you. The thing is, TastefulMrShip and me are discussing doing a strategy game too, that's why we are interested in getting a broad idea about your concept. Although our game would probably not have AI, just human players. So far it certainly looks different enough, but a few more tidbits about your basic idea would be useful. If it turns out to be too close to what we intended, we can still change our concept.

EgoTrip

Im pretty sure the game I have in mind is completely different to yours - its impossible to play more than 1 players on the CPC due to certain assets not being visible to the opponent. So any help would be gratefully received, although I'd rather do it in private as I want the game to be a surprise.

Morn

Quote from: EgoTrip on 15:35, 17 November 11
Im pretty sure the game I have in mind is completely different to yours - its impossible to play more than 1 players on the CPC due to certain assets not being visible to the opponent.

It's not Battleship, is it?  :P

But yes, if this is always one human player vs computer, I think that sounds different enough for me.

So what are those fancy algorithms you are having trouble with?

EgoTrip

I will pm you the notes, its way beyond my ability.

steve

If it is something we could all learn from, then perhaps once the game is released you might consider doing a wiki page on the difficult bits?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Morn on 16:39, 17 November 11
It's not Battleship, is it?  :P
Damn you, internet! Why isn't there a video of Jasper saying "You sunk my Battleship!" on MyTubeFaceSpaceYou.com?
Without it, this post looks pathetic and uninteresting. (Not unlike the 330 other posts I've written!)

EgoTrip

Quote from: steve on 17:42, 17 November 11
If it is something we could all learn from, then perhaps once the game is released you might consider doing a wiki page on the difficult bits?

Sure, it'll be a BASIC game so the source will be viewable, and memory permitting, should be commented with REM statements. The entire thing is difficult for me, so once its released I will share what I have learned.

remax

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 17:46, 17 November 11
Damn you, internet! Why isn't there a video of Jasper saying "You sunk my Battleship!" on MyTubeFaceSpaceYou.com?
Without it, this post looks pathetic and uninteresting. (Not unlike the 330 other posts I've written!)

Not quite the same but...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8yji3_pub-jeux-mb-touche-coule_creation

;D
Brain Radioactivity

Morn

Quote from: remax on 19:06, 17 November 11
Not quite the same but...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8yji3_pub-jeux-mb-touche-coule_creation

;D

Is that spelled Touché-Coulé or Touche mon Cul?  :P Aaand now we're back in TastefulMrShip's territory.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Morn on 19:19, 17 November 11
Is that spelled Touché-Coulé or Touche mon Cul?  :P Aaand now we're back in TastefulMrShip's territory.
Hey, you can't prove that! It was a crowded room and I was just in the WRONG place at the WRONG time!

Morn

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 19:39, 17 November 11
Hey, you can't prove that! It was a crowded room and I was just in the WRONG place at the WRONG time!

I could distinctly feel that the object that touched me, um, down there was very brick-like. And I think I also noticed an overpowering smell of Craggy Island Mountain brandy at the time.

Bryce

If Father Jack touched you, you'd know about it, because he'd have probably "touched" you with a brick!  :D

Battleship sounds like a great idea for two CPCs :) If someone writes it, I'll develop a cheap cable for the comms :)

Bryce.

AMSDOS

If it's Battleships then there's an excellent Battleships game which was in AA70 Type-ins.  ;)  Not sure it had any AI, probably just a Random generator as to where all the ships were placed!  :)  Though it's been Ages since I've played with it.  :o
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Morn

Quote from: CP/M User on 09:41, 18 November 11
If it's Battleships then there's an excellent Battleships game which was in AA70 Type-ins.  ;)

No, it's not Battleships. As EgoTrip hinted it's a game that does not appear to have an implementation on the CPC yet—or at least not this particular variant of the game.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Morn on 13:17, 18 November 11
No, it's not Battleships. As EgoTrip hinted it's a game that does not appear to have an implementation on the CPC yet—or at least not this particular variant of the game.

Ok, I only mentioned it cause a lot of people may not be familiar with it & that's the only Battleships game I know of, though there could be some other PD or commercial releases of the game (which I'm unfamiliar with).  ;D

Can EgoTrip be more specific as to what the problem is without giving the game away?
For example I've written a small BASIC program with a graphical character (using TAG/TAGOFF) at a set position on screen and am trying to use Arrays to store and recall objects as they move behind my character and reveal themselves when my character has passed them. Most BASIC programs I know of that do this seem to be using Text based co-ordinates, though in my case it's a graphical character which is 8 pixels across. Sort of had this idea earlier of having a fixed character at y-position on the screen and if they move forward the screen scrolls instead of them moving forward!  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Actually there was a commercial Battleships title on the CPC (HitPak?), and a pretty good one at it!

EgoTrip

Quote from: CP/M User on 22:01, 18 November 11

Can EgoTrip be more specific as to what the problem is without giving the game away?

Unfortunately not. Ive been trying to figure it out but not really making much progress on it.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: EgoTrip on 12:19, 27 November 11
Unfortunately not. Ive been trying to figure it out but not really making much progress on it.
(I'll sign an NDA!) If you want, email me what you're having probems with and I'll have a look at it. My coding projects are annoying me at the moment and I would welcome a distraction... and helping people is always nice! ^_^
(Morn won't mind. I think he's beginning to see the gulf between my grievance and my powers... no, wait! That's War Of The Worlds... scrub that!)

TFM

The VN96 is perfect for Battleships, and there are actually a bunch of such games for that multi-CPC network.

I remember the Klassentreffen 2001 meeting: Seven networked CPCs and seven guys playing TRON. Amazing!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus