News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Cartridge Software.

Started by Bryce, 09:10, 23 May 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi All,
      I know there's a program out there somewhere to convert standard programs to cartridge. First of all, has anyone any experience with this program? Does it work? and secondly, does the cartridge still need an ACID inserted to work, or does the program run without an ACID?

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 09:10, 23 May 11
Hi All,
      I know there's a program out there somewhere to convert standard programs to cartridge. First of all, has anyone any experience with this program? Does it work? and secondly, does the cartridge still need an ACID inserted to work, or does the program run without an ACID?

Bryce.
It's no$cart. It converts whole disk images.

You can get it from nocash's website:

nocash.emubase.de

I've never tried it, but I believe it works well (not sure of the limitations and it's not tested on gx4000).

Yes it needs a cart and acid, you just replace the rom (it's what the polish bootleggers do I believe)

If you want to make a cart, and you don't want to do disk image like stuff, I am sure I can work some code out for you ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Well, what I was wondering (because I don't know the software side of the ACID) was whether the ACID checks are done in software, firmware or hardwired into the ASIC. If it's a software check, wouldn't it be possible to remove this from software that didn't use any Plus features. If it's firmaware, could the ROM be patched to remove the check? If it's hardwired into the ASIC, then there's not a lot that can be done (at least not without additional hardware).

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 09:35, 23 May 11
Well, what I was wondering (because I don't know the software side of the ACID) was whether the ACID checks are done in software, firmware or hardwired into the ASIC. If it's a software check, wouldn't it be possible to remove this from software that didn't use any Plus features. If it's firmaware, could the ROM be patched to remove the check? If it's hardwired into the ASIC, then there's not a lot that can be done (at least not without additional hardware).

Bryce.
Ok, the acid checks are hardwired into the asic, the code doesn't know anything.

*if* the code wants to work with the plus features, it needs to send the unlock sequence to the asic. then it can use the features, but this does nothing with the acid.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Ah, ok. I thought the ACID signal unlocked the extra features automatically.

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 10:12, 23 May 11
Ah, ok. I thought the ACID signal unlocked the extra features automatically.

Nope, and this was done to maintain backwards compatibility - if the ASIC was always unlocked by the ACID then there would probably be loads of problems.

It was lucky it was done this way though because it meant the Plus features could be accessed without resorting to the code having to be on a cartridge (i.e. run from tape of disc).

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

fano

Great ! stock GX/+ do not own reset button  :P
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

TFM

Quote from: fano on 21:18, 23 May 11
Great ! stock GX/+ do not own reset button  :P

Mine does :-( But I still have 100 ACIDs left :-)

But - hey - the man in the middle solution from Bryce helps us all over it ;-)

btw.: If somebody knows where to get the plastic shells for Cartridges, please tell me.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus