News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
N

Programming Challenge: Write a BASIC program that will break an emulator

Started by Nicholas Hill, 14:12, 26 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas Hill

Hey all,

I'm completely new to this forum, but I'd like to start by saying hello! My name is Nick, and I was gifted a CPC 464 for my sixth birthday. I am now 28 years old and doing quite well as a software engineer, so it's fair to say the CPC had an impact on my life!

So, I thought I would present a BASIC programming challenge, because I am genuinely interested in BASIC programming tricks. This one is simple to phrase: Can anyone write the shortest BASIC program that will "break" (or simply not work) in an emulator, because no emulator is perfect? I can think of two sensible rules for keeping out the "obvious" answers:

* Don't look for something set by the emulator. IE: Don't look for the data byte modified by emulators to identity themselves.
* Try to use minimal machine code. Preferably, use none at all.

I would very much like to see the results!

Nick

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

Yes... OUT some bullshit to the CRTC registers can harm some emulators :D
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

And some even provide the feature to do DOS commands of the PC ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Executioner

Quote from: TFM/FS on 01:21, 27 April 12
And some even provide the feature to do DOS commands of the PC ;-)

Err, not from BASIC

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft