News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
N

Programming in C using only a real CPC : PhrozenC is out ! :)

Started by norecess, 12:37, 24 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

Hi there !

It makes few weeks I have been working on a C compiler targeting Amstrad CPC platforms. Now that that version 1.0 is finished, I'm releasing it today!

The name of the compiler is PhrozenC, and is available under several versions :
- a PC version   (command-line)
... the best is coming :
- a CPC version (ROM format, use that version if you can!)
- a CPC version   (64Kb-compatible, stand-alone application which reset after execution)
-   a CPC version (128Kb, usable via RSX).

What is main fact to note?
On a PC, it compiles a .C file and it will generate a .ASM file ready to be compiled with WinAPE On a CPC, it compiles a .C file and it will generate a .ASM file ready to be compiled with... Maxam !
In both cases, the same exact .ASM file will be generated. As a consequence, everyone is free to choose to directly program in C on CPC, or enjoy the speed of a PC instead...

PhrozenC is released with a manual (PDF-format, 33 pages), covering all the things you have to know   about to start programming using PhrozenC. There is even a small tutorial about learning C for the newcomers.
Example sources are available, as also a small set of library files handling file management, graphics, memory management, string concatenation, etc..

This   is version 1.0 . I plan to get your feedbacks and provide better versions with time...

Please, before any technical questions   about PhrozenC, make sure you fully read the documentation.

Thanks to all the guys that helped me on this port, it was not that easy to get it working on a real CPC... :)

DOWNLOAD LINK : http://sourceforge.net/projects/phobia/files/PhrozenC-10.zip/download

Gryzor

Ooh! Nice! Posted on the wiki's front page. Screenshots? :D

mr_lou

Gryzor

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Bryce

Amazing. Just downloaded it. I'll try out the ROM version tonight and return with some feedback....

Bryce.

norecess

Quote from: Bryce on 14:20, 24 March 10
Amazing. Just downloaded it. I'll try out the ROM version tonight and return with some feedback....

Bryce.

I need feedback! :)

redbox

Sounds great, especially as you can easily "see" the assembler it creates due to it outputting .asm files.

Can't wait to try it out...  :)

mr_lou

All it needs now is a way to compile the ASM into binary on Linux.

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

mr_lou

Oh, pasmo can compile the ASM generated by PhrozenC? Groovy then.  :)

norecess

Yes, it should compile OK with Pasmo. That said, I can only guarantee WinAPE and Maxam compatibility for now - I don't want to lose focus on what really matters by supporting multiple platforms/compilers/whatever.

norecess

I just released version 1.1 of PhrozenC, get it here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/phobia/

Changelog :

Version 1.1
- CC (Win32) Fixed crash when included file does not exist
- Fixed crash when calling CC with a C file entirely created on a CPC
- Fixed CS RSX-command usage. Now only ROM-based, but 100% safe.
- Updated documentation with compiler internal section

Version 1.0
- Initial release..

TFM

Hy,
Great project!!! Did somebody already try the FIOLIB with PhrozenC???
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

norecess

Hi TFM ..

You made me smile  ;D because of this :

http://cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?topic=443.0

No answer yet ? Try it yourself ! :)

TFM

Quote from: norecess on 01:34, 06 April 10
Hi TFM ..

You made me smile  ;D because of this :

http://cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?topic=443.0

No answer yet ? Try it yourself ! :)

Oeahm, ok, after finishing the OP translation ;-) Seriously, I miss a lot of my CPC stuff here in USA. Will care about it ASAP. And sometimes a question is faster than DIY ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

norecess

Are you living in USA or just a trip ?

I'm living in Canada and I had to get a full working CPC there ! :)

TFM

Quote from: norecess on 14:44, 08 April 10
Are you living in USA or just a trip ?

I'm living in Canada and I had to get a full working CPC there ! :)

Well, I'm in New Orleans since 18 months, 19 days and nearly 22 hours... to run a CPC with 110 Volt, 60 Hz is a problem for me...

Canada is a civilized country, metric system, educated people and maybe... 220 Volt???

However... in 3 weeks and 3 days I have two weeks holydays in Munich! All my CPCs are there ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

norecess

No, I had to buy a power-converter (110 to 220), and the monitor is a real Amstrad one.

TFM

Quote from: norecess on 16:34, 22 April 10
No, I had to buy a power-converter (110 to 220), and the monitor is a real Amstrad one.

Must have been a pain in the aXX to get that monitor there. I remember when Tolkin tried to get a monitor from France to Munich, the plain started 20 minutes to late ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

It's a pity I found C Language pretty hard going given I do Pascal alright (and managed a simple Bouncing Ball Demo in Small-C with a lot of ASM86), just wondered how PhrozenC goes when handling those Library files. Biggest setback in Turbo Pascal for instance is at Compilation Time when a 6 or 7k Library is jammed into the COM file, the whole thing isn't necessarily used which is most annoying! Unfortunately I've only have a readable source of the 16bit Version - maybe able to get clues from it using Standard code.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TFM

Hi, here my wired question again... anybody tried the FIOLIB with PhrozenC? I can't program C, only Z80, so I really don't know how to test it.
But hey, you will get any kind of LIB function you want, just tell me. And FIOLIB is already able to break the 64 KB barrier. So if somebody gives it a try, I would appreciate if you share your experience here.
TFM of FutureSoft