News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Space Pest Control (Development)

Started by reidrac, 07:12, 06 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

McKlain

Are you going to have ingame music+sfx?

reidrac

Quote from: McKlain on 08:04, 13 October 15
Are you going to have ingame music+sfx?

That's the plan at least. I should run some tests to be completely sure that's possible; at the moment I'm doing SFX only.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

Good work! Already looks better than a lot of commercial stuff from back the day.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

VincentGR

Ast

It seems really great, but why don't you use fullscreen size ?

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

reidrac

Quote from: Ast on 22:08, 13 October 15
It seems really great, but why don't you use fullscreen size ?

I guess I could use more screen as long as I don't have to redraw a larger area too often, but that would use more RAM and this game is targetting the 464; meaning that memory is scarce!

Actually, running out of memory is going to be my main issue pretty soon I'm afraid.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

reidrac

Player hit box is working: you can be killed!

Also a rough "game over" screen that needs to be improved (to start with the text should be red, that's a bug right there!).

If you are hit, one life bar is removed and you're invulnerable for short amount of time. I may change things, but the basic mechanics are already there.

Today I spent some time refactoring and I got some bytes back (already used, obviously!). Also all the collision detection code is slowing things a bit, but still "good enough". The good news are that I tried some bg music and it doesn't affect the action, so WIN!

Bryce

How about showing him dead (ie: lying) and blend the "Game Over" over that frozen gameplay frame?

Bryce.

reidrac

Quote from: Bryce on 21:44, 14 October 15
How about showing him dead (ie: lying) and blend the "Game Over" over that frozen gameplay frame?

Bryce.

That's not a bad idea!

Currently there are a lot of things to do and the memory is shrinking by the day :D. I'm happy with this as "place holder" and I'll review it later when I know how much resources are left.

To be honest, I did the game over part because it was related to the player hit box, but that's something I tend to make way later in the development process.

Ast

reidrac

Fun with teleporters!

The game is progressing nicely, but I'm almost completely sure it won't be finished for the CPC Retro Dev deadline. Basically my time is limited and the game is too big :(

I'll keep working on it just in case... but it is likely I'll finish the game in the following weeks.

Also I tried the game today in my CPC and it plays smoother than in the emulator :)

ervin

This is looking BRILLIANT.
Really looking forward to playing this one.

I hope you can submit something to the comp - you'd probably do quite well.
(Even a smaller version, that you can expand and fully complete after the comp).
:)

My game RUNCPC also appears to be a bit smoother and more responsive on my real CPC.
Probably due to the fact that emulating 50Hz on a 60Hz PC monitor will never be as smooth as running it on the CPC's 50Hz display.

Devilmarkus

Your game looks really cool...
But if I would be you, I wouldn't spoiler it too much with too many preview videos ;)
Some things should be a surprise for the players.....
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

reidrac

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 00:23, 18 October 15
Your game looks really cool...
But if I would be you, I wouldn't spoiler it too much with too many preview videos ;)
Some things should be a surprise for the players.....

I agree. These videos are showing basic functionality, but not the actual game.

TotO

Quote from: reidrac on 22:49, 17 October 15The game is progressing nicely, but I'm almost completely sure it won't be finished for the CPC Retro Dev deadline. Basically my time is limited and the game is too big :(
Just release a demo. It is already over the games released last year...  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Right, gave em what you have for the compo and then you can overwork it. Or take another year!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Quote from: reidrac on 22:49, 17 October 15
Also I tried the game today in my CPC and it plays smoother than in the emulator :)

Yeah my computer seems to go ape when it's running Winape!  :o 
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

reidrac

Quote from: AMSDOS on 07:35, 19 October 15

Yeah my computer seems to go ape when it's running Winape!  :o

Also there was some flickering in the last row of sprites. uh?

I'm coming from the ZX Spectrum and for some reason I was expecting the Z80 IM 1 interrupt to happen at 50Hz (that's vsync in the speccy); but in the Amstrad it happens at 300Hz, and I was using that with a counter to get a fixed rate of 15 FPS.

My code was quite naive because I was assuming that after the 15 FPS was reached, last interrupt was the vsync (imagine! updating the monitor at 300Hz!). You need to wait for the CRTC to start with the vsync. Now it makes sense, but that's an example that I don't know what I'm doing (most of the time at least).

Programming for the CPC is a lot of fun :)

Fessor

If you only need the 50hz-Interrupt then you should take look at
KL NEW FRAME FLY &bcd7
KL ADD FRAME FLY &bcda
KL DEL FRAME FLY &bcdd

reidrac

Quote from: Fessor on 08:47, 19 October 15
If you only need the 50hz-Interrupt then you should take look at
KL NEW FRAME FLY &bcd7
KL ADD FRAME FLY &bcda
KL DEL FRAME FLY &bcdd

If the interrupt MUST be every 300Hz because of the way the CRTC works, not sure there's anything to do. My current code works and I keep the ISR short and simple, but I guess there's always some overhead.

I'll take a look anyway, although I disable the firmware and setup my own interrupt handler (measure time & audio basically).

arnoldemu

Quote from: reidrac on 08:54, 19 October 15
If the interrupt MUST be every 300Hz because of the way the CRTC works, not sure there's anything to do. My current code works and I keep the ISR short and simple, but I guess there's always some overhead.

I'll take a look anyway, although I disable the firmware and setup my own interrupt handler (measure time & audio basically).

For your own:

int_handler:
push bc
push af
ld b,&f5
in a,(c)
rra
jr nc,int_handler2
;; do once per frame interrupt handling here

int_handler2:
pop af
pop bc
ei
ret

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: reidrac on 08:20, 19 October 15
...imagine! updating the monitor at 300Hz!...
It allows us to do tricks with the crtc more easily :)

Quote from: reidrac on 08:20, 19 October 15
Programming for the CPC is a lot of fun :)
:)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

reidrac

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:02, 19 October 15
For your own:

int_handler:
push bc
push af
ld b,&f5
in a,(c)
rra
jr nc,int_handler2
;; do once per frame interrupt handling here

pop af
pop bc
ei
ret

Thanks! That's a good idea, I'll count t-states in my ISR to see which one is faster.

Ast

Don't be shy, it's faster than yours. :-D

Good job for your game. I put some words in Amstrad Plus Forum.