News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Heart of Salamanderland (development)

Started by reidrac, 23:18, 23 November 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Right.

When you see a game from Reidrac, there's no mistaking it for something else. Is that bad? Yeah, let's ask Cecco😁

eto

Quote from: reidrac on 13:50, 13 February 24Having my style is something I can't really avoid; I see some people have mentioned already that "it looks similar to some of his previous games".
Your style is unique - and imho if your games would have existed in the 80s, their style would have been a "quality symbol" on its own like e.g. the Dizzy character. You could have easily defined the "Roland" character with that style - and it would have a real identity - not like the Roland characters from all those unrelated games (I like some of the games a lot - but "Roland" was no real character).

Also your games perfectly fit the CPCs capabilities - the graphics, the sprites, the screens, the sound - it looks and feels like a perfect harmony. 

E.g. Brick Rick is a perfect arcade game - it could be a port of a successful arcade machine - and it's one of my "all-time favorites" on the Amstrad CPC. And (although I really like and play many of the recently released games) it's the only "new" game that reached that status of an all-time favorite. 

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

reidrac

Quick update!

I had the news of Titan contributing a loading screen, but it was posted to the thread before I could do it. I can share the new menu screen though.

You cannot view this attachment.

The level design is progressing well, although I'm always keeping an eye on the memory because this is going to be very tight.

Currently I have 16 screens (using 1371 bytes, 85.69 bytes average). Projecting on those numbers I could include 60 screens and still have 3.1K to finish a few things that are missing, but if is necessary I wouldn't mind having less screens.

Which means that I need to tackle those unfinished bits before I'm too deep in the level design, in case I need the memory! :D
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

reidrac

Short announcement!

Poly Play is keen to publish a Collector's Editor of the game, cassette, 3" (limited stock) and 3.5". More news as I know more.

I'm excited because my last physical edition for the CPC was Kitsune's Curse and Brick Rick 4 years ago.

As always there will be a free download on my site, so everybody would be able to enjoy the game. The physical edition is obviously icing on top, and you know how nice Poly Play's editions are.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

Poly Play is producing really, really nice packages! 

eto

Quote from: reidrac on 14:25, 14 March 24Poly Play is keen to publish a Collector's Editor of the game, cassette, 3" (limited stock) and 3.5". More news as I know more.
Nice news :-) 

They should also consider putting all your games into a  (kind of) "Hit Pak" collection pack.

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 18:18, 14 March 24
Quote from: reidrac on 14:25, 14 March 24Poly Play is keen to publish a Collector's Editor of the game, cassette, 3" (limited stock) and 3.5". More news as I know more.
Nice news :-)

They should also consider putting all your games into a  (kind of) "Hit Pak" collection pack.
Ohhh yes indeed although I guess most potential buyers will have bought them already. Maybe instead of a re-release at some point? 

abalore

SpDizzy

reidrac

Memory is tight, but so far it seems possible that I will be able to cram it all in 64K AND single load.

You cannot view this attachment.

What is this room? Is that a constellation? May be a clue to find the Heart of Salamanderland?

I don't know, but find the 9 Tears of The Guardian and come back to this room to find out!

I'm also trying to not make it too hard (of which I think I have been a bit guilty in the past), although I can tell you it won't be easy either! :D

reidrac

Happy to announce that I have a beta!

It is still missing the music, but the game is complete and can be played from beginning to end, including... everything :D

So things are going very well. I can allow time for testing and to write some tunes, when I'm back from holidays.

So the game could be out in early May, although I need to check with Poly Play so we can sync the releases. Exciting!

reidrac

Quick update!

Testing is going well, bugs are being found and fixed! :D

The game has a website now: https://www.usebox.net/jjm/heart-of-salamanderland/

The release date will be in May!