News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Return of Traxtor (Development)

Started by reidrac, 21:34, 10 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

I've started to convert my Return of Traxtor* to the CPC 464.

This is partially because I wanted to do it ;) and because in that way I can have a short break from Space Pest Control (SPC from now on), that is a bigger and more ambitious game and I don't want to burn out.

I didn't say port because is not a port (and definitely not a lazy one :D). Basically there's little code that can be reused, and the few routines I can copy are basically platform independent C code.

So far all the graphics have been redone in Mode 0 using the SPC engine, which is great because I've found some bugs and I've improved some parts so SPC will benefit from this! The original game was for the ZX Spectrum 48K and it used only beeper music, so I'll have to adapt all the songs to the AY (I plan to include tunes from both "The Legend of Traxtor" and "The Return of Traxtor").

It is a little match-3 game, but quite fun to play (IMHO); and it shouldn't take me too long to get it done.

I'll keep you updated, but remember I tend to post frequently about this on Juan (@reidrac) | Twitter

Some screenshots (WIP, some stuff may change):

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

* in case you want to know, the original Speccy game I released back in July:  ZX Spectrum: The Return of Traxtor - usebox.net
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Me likey likey :) Please, do keep it up! :)

seanb

Brilliant.
First I've heard of this series. Looks like an original take on the classic puzzle bobble type games.

Another new game to look forward too.

I'll have to remember to download all these games when they are released.
Complete rom packs online arent always that complete.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

reidrac

Still needs some testing and adjustment, but the basic game-play is already there (including explosions, combos and the gravity effect).

There are some bits missing (like cleaning the board should level you up immediately), and it needs polishing; but overall looks like I'll be able to release the game by the end of the month early December!

EDIT: and obviously, needs sound effects and music :)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

Yellow and Green stones look so similar. Would be nice to have the option of more different colors.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 18:00, 16 November 15
Yellow and Green stones look so similar. Would be nice to have the option of more different colors.  :)

They're different. I tried the game in an emulator with green screen and it's not ideal because the colour differences are mostly lost, but the shapes are still enough to tell the tiles apart.

I'd hate to change the shapes because that's part of "Traxtor" series; but I'll think about it.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 18:19, 16 November 15
Maybe just a darker Green?

The colours look quite different here in full colour (and the shape, one has the shadow on the left, the other on the right).

Perhaps I should include a different palette for green monitors as an option.

I love the bright colours I'm using, they're just gorgeous :)

TFM

Sure. They are, but with my eyes Green and Yellow is very similar. I had the some problem with other games before (like Betiled). A 2nd color set would be an cool option!  8) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 19:48, 16 November 15
Sure. They are, but with my eyes Green and Yellow is very similar. I had the some problem with other games before (like Betiled). A 2nd color set would be an cool option!  8) :)

Oh, interesting. The original game was restricted to 4 colours (the Game Boy palette). When I ported the game to the speccy I kept the shapes because in that way it would be colour blind friendly, but I didn't think about the colours not being different enough.  If the colours are too similar to you, you can't stop seeing them to focus on the tiles!

Thanks for the feedback, very useful.

reidrac

Quick test of the sound effects!

No music yet, but starting to feel like a game :D

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 19:48, 16 November 15

I've been running some tests using filters that simulate different types of colour blindness and I think now I have a better understanding of the problem with the tiles.

"Return of Traxtor" in the speccy "works" for different types of colour blindness because two factors: the shapes are drawn in black and (less importantly I think) the resolution is higher.

In current form, the CPC version uses a different tone of the same colour to draw the shape, and that reduces the effectiveness of the shapes when the colours are not good enough to tell the tiles apart.

Given that the game is not too big, I may have quite a lot of free memory. I still don't know what would the best way of dealing with this, but at least I'm sure I can include an alternative tileset drawing the shapes with black (need to test this, the resolution may be a factor too).

This is extra effort really (I may need to change the menu to add an "options" sub-menu), but it can be done.

TFM

Or just release a 2nd version with other colors, please don't waste time.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 17:21, 17 November 15
Or just release a 2nd version with other colors, please don't waste time.  :)

I do this for fun, so I can afford adding support so the game is "colour blind friendly".

No problem. I just expect you to play the game! :)

TFM

Already looking forward to it!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 17:29, 17 November 15
Already looking forward to it!  :) :) :)

Does this tileset make any difference? (click for a larger version)

[attach=2]

There are one tile of each. The resolution is lower than in the speccy, but I tried different filters simulating different types of colour blindness and it seems to help. It won't look the same as the default tileset, but it'll be playable.

TFM

Not really. Can you just use a darker green?  :-X
TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 19:36, 17 November 15
Not really. Can you just use a darker green?  :-X

So you can't see the difference between both triangles? Even in black colour?

EDIT: OK, I can fill some shapes with black and leave the others as they are. In that way the shapes have to look different!

I don't wan't to change the palette if I can avoid it! It may not solve the problem for everybody.

Something like this:

[attach=2]

(well, it looks awful; I'll look for alternatives)

TFM

It's not about being able to see it, it's about being able to see it quick enough.
The latter example surely works.

Why not changing the palette? Asking out of curiosity.

TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 19:48, 17 November 15
It's not about being able to see it, it's about being able to see it quick enough.
The latter example surely works.

Why not changing the palette? Asking out of curiosity.

If I make the game colour blind friendly, there are different possibilities. My preference would be to make the colours less relevant instead of fixing it for one case.

For example, this would allow you and other people to play the game:

[attach=2]

Is not pretty, but whatever I do it'll look different because is not the default tile anyway; and that's OK.

TFM

Changing the symbol in the green tile is imho more than enough, that's visible from a mile.  8) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

The sound of the emulator isn't great (WinAPE in Linux using WINE), but I'm quite happy with the conversion of the main theme to the AY-3-8912.

This is getting ready!

TFM

Nice!

But shouldn't it say "Space of Fire to Play". (instead of Beam).  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: TFM on 18:22, 20 November 15
Nice!

But shouldn't it say "Space of Fire to Play". (instead of Beam).  :)

Actually... no, it is a particular thing of the game :D

The spaceship can beam blocks into the bay or fire them to the board ;) So you can use any of those buttons to start the game.