General Category > Programming

The Return of Traxtor source code

(1/1)

reidrac:
Hi!

I've released the source code of the Return of Traxtor as open source: https://github.com/reidrac/the-return-of-traxtor-cpc

It is basically a code dump and it comes without support (if you want to build it, you are on your own), with the usual caveats of 6 years old code; but it may be interesting to read for some people.

Everything is explained in the README.md file.

After testing the binary was building alright I played the game, and it is still as fun as it was in 2015! :D

SpDizzy:
Ohh!! That's amazing Juan, thanks so much for that. Hopefully I could learn something from your code. Just to try: Is there any possibility for some of your other great games to have source code released as well? I mean not yet, but in some moment. Allways, thanks for your work, effort, and your time

reidrac:

--- Quote from: SpDizzy on 12:47, 03 May 21 ---Ohh!! That's amazing Juan, thanks so much for that. Hopefully I could learn something from your code. Just to try: Is there any possibility for some of your other great games to have source code released as well? I mean not yet, but in some moment. Allways, thanks for your work, effort, and your time

--- End quote ---

Very likely. In reality there's no reason to not release the source code after the game has been released and is stable (with no known bugs). I don't usually go back to that code base anyway, and people could learn from it. But in practice, it is quite difficult. It puts you in the spotlight and 8-bit gamedev is about results and not making things beautiful or even correctly, so it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

That said, I'm working on it. I've released also Castaway for the speccy. I guess eventually I'll release something that is more current, or perhaps the engines themselves (although you could build the same with the cpctelera, you don't really need me!).

SpDizzy:

--- Quote from: reidrac on 12:57, 03 May 21 ---But in practice, it is quite difficult. It puts you in the spotlight and 8-bit gamedev is about results and not making things beautiful or even correctly, so it makes me a bit uncomfortable.
--- End quote ---
I totally understand your point of view.

--- Quote from: reidrac on 12:57, 03 May 21 ---I guess eventually I'll release something that is more current, or perhaps the engines themselves (although you could build the same with the cpctelera, you don't really need me!).
--- End quote ---
But you are the fucking king, I'm just a nerd trying to learn  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version
Powered by SMFPacks Media Embedder
Powered by SMFPacks Alerts Pro Mod
Powered by SMFPacks Mentions Pro Mod