News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Vintage Computing Christmas Challenge 2023

Started by Typhon, 23:54, 12 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot

Quote from: Urusergi on 22:20, 11 January 24To improve the speed a bit you can take the ret out of the loop
Optimizing the CPU on this exercise does not help much and that is not the objective. 
It's a question of scale. ;)

Each character is displayed either 256 times or 128 times with BB5A, or approximately 840,000 µsec for each use of B (58 times x 840,000). 
Gaining 116 µsec isn't really useful. ::)
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

m_dr_m

Quote from: Overflow on 17:15, 11 January 24Also this kind of beauty - at least for me : JP cond,$+1 with adress is #3483 so that opcodes at that place are #83 then #34 = ADD A,E then INC (HL).
Rings some bells (ah! see what I did there?). In CPCT uncruncher I used the relative "n" in JR cond,n as an opcode. Twice I believe.
Targhan was flabbergasted after disassembling the routine. 
Long story short, the beauty is appreciated.

Urusergi

Quote from: Longshot on 00:42, 12 January 24Optimizing the CPU on this exercise does not help much and that is not the objective.
It's a question of scale. ;)

I expected it. There is always someone who has to answer the obvious ;)

Of course, any loop that involves calls to the firmware doesn't improve much. This is more of a crusade, an attempt to get us all to program more efficiently.
I've been studying commercial game code for three or four years and it's horrible, a real disappointment, since I really believed that they were very professional.

Although thanks to that I've been able to optimize the necessary bytes to be able to enter my code in the GX4000 conversions ;D