News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what good are the plus features?

Started by steve, 13:42, 13 June 13

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

I hope one day, we all get to see the true power of the Plus model.

TotO

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:10, 15 June 13
Well, if you want I can create a 128KB+ category, which f.e. contains RDOS, Discology and so on... but maybe that would be too much.
I know that Discology can use DK'Tronics up to 256K and Vortex up to 512K.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

arnoldemu

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:03, 17 June 13
I hope one day, we all get to see the true power of the Plus model.
I have 2 games where development has been paused, both will be finished and both use plus features.

I will e-mail some people for help when I am ready to finish them.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 07:57, 18 June 13
I know that Discology can use DK'Tronics up to 256K and Vortex up to 512K.
Vortex is imcompatibel to all standard RAM expansions. Discology uses around 300 KB of RAM, because it doesn't not need more for a 3" disc. You can check that on any emulator. On real hardware it definitely works with the Dobbertin and the Inicron RAM expansions (also with the SF2).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:14, 18 June 13
Vortex is imcompatibel to all standard RAM expansions. Discology uses around 300 KB of RAM, because it doesn't not need more for a 3" disc. You can check that on any emulator. On real hardware it definitely works with the Dobbertin and the Inicron RAM expansions (also with the SF2).
The Discology technical note "said" to support the full memory of the DK'Tronics (64 to 256K), Vortex (64 to 512K) and Silicon Disc (256K) on 464 and 664.
It "said" too that Discology allow to use 3"1/2 and 5"1/4 40/80 tracks simple and double side discs.
So, I think that 512K is not useless here... (sure, I have tested nothing)

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/1/13/Discology_Notice_Technique_Version_5.pdf
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: pacomix on 22:57, 17 June 13
Any games that makes a difference between the non plus and the plus versions? For what I have seen so far... most of them are the same even Pang compared to Zapt'n'Balls and Prehistorik. But it is quite understandable. How would be the games market actually if there are two different versions of the PS3? One with 128MB of ram and another with 512? Not many I guess... Only storage room...

There is no difference between the CPC and CPC+ in regards of memory.

I'm no expert, but as far as I've understood, the differences are:

• CPC+ has hardware sprites (like the Commodore 64), while the CPC have to settle for software rendering of sprites. This means that it should theoretically be much easier creating fluent movement on the CPC+
  • CPC+ has DMA stuff, which means the CPU doesn't have to deal with music-playback as much as the CPC does. So you'd have more CPU for actual game processing.
  • CPC+ has 4096 colors where the CPC only has 27
So the biggest "pain" for developers (I guess) is to change their code to use hardware sprites instead of software rendering, while the biggest "pain" for graphics artists would be to re-do all of their graphics. I can certainly understand why they don't feel like doing that, especially considering that the CPC version of the game runs just fine on the CPC+ too. The only one who has it easy is the musician, who doesn't have to create another version of his tracks.

I'd love to see more CPC+ games though.

TFM

Thank's for the information  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:51, 21 June 13Thank's for the information  :)

I wrote that to pacomix, who expressed a lack of knowledge.

No need to be a jerk just because you know all there is to know yourself. ;-)

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:31, 21 June 13
I wrote that to pacomix, who expressed a lack of knowledge.

No need to be a jerk just because you know all there is to know yourself. ;-)
And I posted to another topic! Don't know why it appeared here! You better take that Jerk back, or I make a smiting game about you  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

mr_lou

Your PC is obviously drunk then.

Don't run Windows.

TFM

It's IE !!! That's even worse - @work btw.... However you explanation was well.

But my comment was going to TotO in a complete other section of the forum...
TFM of FutureSoft

Executioner

Quote from: steve on 13:42, 13 June 13
So can anyone imagine a game using all the plus features that could not run on the CPC or at the same speed?

Actually, Frogger on the Plus uses most of the Plus features: hardware sprites, hardware soft-scroll, palette, DMA sound and raster interrupts.

TFM

Oh really? You use DMA sound? Isnt't that a big waste using a lot of RAM?

TFM of FutureSoft

redbox

Quote from: TFM on 18:17, 18 October 13

Not it you know how to do it properly.

Foes - data in first 64kb of RAM and instructions are Words.
Friends - iteration compatible playlists.

andycadley

Anyone in any doubt of whether the Plus can beat the ordinary CPC should just run Robocop 2. It's a very flawed game in many, many ways but it is one of the better demos of what the Plus could do. There is nothing on the ordinary CPCs which even comes close to being as smooth or as pretty.

AMSDOS

Quote from: andycadley on 21:13, 18 October 13
Anyone in any doubt of whether the Plus can beat the ordinary CPC should just run Robocop 2. It's a very flawed game in many, many ways but it is one of the better demos of what the Plus could do. There is nothing on the ordinary CPCs which even comes close to being as smooth or as pretty.

That maybe true, though from a programming perspective I have no way of testing a routine on a real Plus because Amstrad refused to ship any to Australia - and emulators just don't cut the dice. :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

They are more difficult to find in Australia, but there are many European sellers that are willing to ship there. But they're not particularly cheap here either :D

Here's one that was on offer recently: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=51014
Gone already, but they do pop up quite regularly.

In fact, contact Kris (he's sold three in the last few weeks) and he could probably organise one for you. He's a member here too as far as I know.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: andycadley on 21:13, 18 October 13

Time for you to take a look at my Giana Sisters WIP.  ;) 

However I agree that the Plus is superior to the CPC old generation, because it just got some more features, but doesn't lack the old ones. [nb]Except some fancy CRTC modes, which never got used in games anyway.[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 21:33, 18 October 13
They are more difficult to find in Australia, but there are many European sellers that are willing to ship there. But they're not particularly cheap here either :D

Here's one that was on offer recently: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=51014
Gone already, but they do pop up quite regularly.

In fact, contact Kris (he's sold three in the last few weeks) and he could probably organise one for you. He's a member here too as far as I know.

Bryce.

I found a Plus Monitor on eBay, though the price seemed to be a bit high at around $80 US, though at the moment the Aust Currency is almost on Par for the Greenback. I would be interested in a working machine which would reflect on the price.

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

A CM14 for $80?? That is high, you'll get one for a quarter of that usually.

A recent sale (from Kris too): http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=51408&highlight=cm14
Unfortunately the postage will probably be a killer from the US too.

Bryce.

Executioner

Quote from: TFM on 18:17, 18 October 13

Not really.. The way it works is to prepare a DMA buffer for a single frame at a time. All it has to do is write all the register changes for the frame into a buffer rather than doing all that nasty IN/OUT stuff with the PPI.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 22:06, 18 October 13
A CM14 for $80?? That is high, you'll get one for a quarter of that usually.

A recent sale (from Kris too): http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=51408&highlight=cm14
Unfortunately the postage will probably be a killer from the US too.

Bryce.

Probably, the only other dilemma I'd have if I got a Plus Machine, would be how much I would be using it, I'd be told to get rid of my 6128 which is also a nice machine.  :D

Your Computer Programs

TFM

Quote from: Executioner on 00:59, 19 October 13
Not really.. The way it works is to prepare a DMA buffer for a single frame at a time. All it has to do is write all the register changes for the frame into a buffer rather than doing all that nasty IN/OUT stuff with the PPI.

Ah understood. Instead of feeding the PSG, you feed the DMA. Well, I though you may have the whole song / sounds in big copper program. But just feeding the DMA in time is a great idea. Saves time and space.
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: AMSDOS on 02:55, 19 October 13
Probably, the only other dilemma I'd have if I got a Plus Machine, would be how much I would be using it, I'd be told to get rid of my 6128 which is also a nice machine.  :D

A no! A Plus and the classic 6128 is the perfect combination  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

My two most used machines are my 6128 and 6128+, I like to swap every few days. Although now that I have a 664, the 6128 is starting to be used less.

Bryce.