News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which IDE is this?

Started by IndyUK, 18:11, 28 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyUK

Hi All,

Does anyone know which IDE this is? I saw this on someone's youtube video and I really like the look of it. I like how everything is visible while the program is running so you can see all in registers in realtime.

Thanks

Jean-Marie

Looks like Caprice ForEver, my favorite emulator.

IndyUK

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 18:21, 28 January 22Looks like Caprice ForEver, my favorite emulator.

Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for. I downloaded it from the link you posted but, I seem to be getting some errors. Unfortunately, the error text is in French so I'm not able to know what it's saying. Are there any good guides that I can use? I would like to create exactly what you have.

Thanks

Jean-Marie

A tutorial window in english is displayed when you click on Help/Tips & hints. There is no dedicated website though.
Post your error messages, and I shall help you.
Also, I noticed the latest version (21.11) has become quite buggy. The memory editor displays an error message ("grid index out of bound") and is unusable. And an error message is prompting at startup if a bluetooth joypad is connected.
Sometimes, the font used for some windows controls is too big, and display half-eaten characters.
Previous versions were working fine. Maybe we could find back an older version using the Wayback machine...

IndyUK

Here's the first error I get at start-up.

Jean-Marie

Well, it says there has been a division by zero with a floating point value. That's not very helpful, I know  :) .
You can test your luck with the 32 bit version.
Or with an older file. I've found version 20.5 here : CaPriCe Forever 20.5 - Emulation News (emutopia.com)

TotO

May be 0.00 or 0.00000, unless it was 0.000000000 ... Who know! :laugh:
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

breiztiger

you can always get the last build from

CPC-POWER, CPCArchives

IndyUK

Quote from: TotO on 23:36, 29 January 22Well, it says there has been a division by zero with a floating point value. That's not very helpful, I know  :) .

Hi,

Tried the 32bit version and same. Then tried the previous version and still the same error. Is there anything I should be configuring before I open the application? I was think along the lines of whether I need to be placing the BASIC etc. roms in the ROMS folder?

Thanks

Jean-Marie

No. Normally, you just click the Caprice64.exe & enjoy.
You could tinker the caprice.ini file, which contains all the parameters.
For exemple, change the line UseOpenGL=0, and set it to 1 to use opengl rather than DirectX9.
You could try ForceGDI=1 too.
Also, turn off your Bluetooth connection.

Fredouille

Sorry to hear there are problems...
Please, can you provide your caprice.ini to reproduce "Division by 0" exception ?
I haven't tested caprice using Windows 11 yet. Maybe I have to.
You can contact me using email provided into About window.

Jean-Marie

Hello Fredouille,
I'll send you a bugs report to your email address as requested (I have no exception 0 though).
I had those bugs in Windows 10 too, as I upgraded a fortnight ago to W11.
Thanks for your support !

IndyUK

There is also another error that I get when I perform a cold restart.

BTW - I didn't mention this previously but, I'm running Windows 10 64bit.

Thanks for helping.

Fredouille

Same as answered for Jean-Marie

IndyUK

Quote from: Fredouille on 07:39, 01 February 22
Same as answered for Jean-Marie
Hi

I have sent you the email with a copy of my ini file.

Thanks

Fredouille

Quote from: IndyUK on 11:54, 02 February 22
Hi

I have sent you the email with a copy of my ini file.

Thanks
Hello, I have tried to answer but my mail has returned with delivery status error.

Using your Caprice.ini, I do not face any problems.
What happens when you launch caprice without caprice.ini ? Do you still have "division by 0" popup ?

IndyUK

Quote from: Fredouille on 10:48, 04 February 22
Hello, I have tried to answer but my mail has returned with delivery status error.

Using your Caprice.ini, I do not face any problems.
What happens when you launch caprice without caprice.ini ? Do you still have "division by 0" popup ?

Hi

Not sure why your email got returned undelivered but, I do have good news. I got it to work. I suddenly had a thought, could it be that it doesn't like my GPU. My laptop has dual GPUs (nvidia & Intel) and my default is set to nvidia. As soon as I switched it to Intel it loaded fine, no errors. So now I have set Caprice to use the Intel GPU and it looks to be working fine. Thanks for taking your personal time to help. I'm off to enjoy your brilliant piece of software.

Thanks again.

breiztiger

Hi

I RUN caprice on my hp laptop with Windows 11 pro and dual gpu (Intel and nvidia) with error

Édit : it's without error

IndyUK

Quote from: breiztiger on 19:35, 04 February 22
Hi

I RUN caprice on my hp laptop with Windows 11 pro and dual gpu (Intel and nvidia) with error

Hi

Not sure if you were trying to say with or without error. Nevertheless, I don't think it's my GPU at fault, more the old driver that I have installed. My laptop is over 7 years old and the 650M chip is no longer supported so maybe the driver just isn't compatible or is buggy. TBH, I'm not that fussed as I'm sure my humble Intel GPU can handle any CPC game/demo that's thrown at it and, besides I'm more into development and I like the layout of the Caprice IDE so just glad it's working.

breiztiger

Oh sorry it's without error

All work great !!!