Recent posts

Demos / Demo channel
Last post by GOB - Today at 15:30
Hello to you.
As I don't see some demos on youtube, I decided to put them there.
So I created a playlist for the demos and for each megademo a dedicated playlist.
In order not to pollute the forum I would therefore put the updates following this message by including the possible playlists in this first message.
You will therefore find the "demos" playlist here:Démos CPC
and the playlists for the following megademo:
Voyage 93
Megaparty démo 92
Unique mégademo
The Demo

Do not hesitate to subscribe ;)
Emulators / Re: Is there an emulator where...
Last post by eto - Today at 14:14
Quote from: BSC on Today at 10:03Retro Virtual Machine (2) has this feature and I am pretty sure that WinApe has it.

I didn't find it in RVM but now I saw it. Thanks. 
Games / Re: Could "Turrican" be made b...
Last post by abalore - Today at 13:25
With 8 pixel character height you can easily do 1 pixel scrolling, the CRTC has a specific register for that. And you don't have to update all the 8 pixel row per frame, you can do it in 8 steps, so the Z80 usage is the minimal required. I don't see how a 2 pixel character height would work without having to change the display start address in each block and without having to make a painful sprite drawing routine.
Last post by Longshot - Today at 12:33
Quote from: BSC on Today at 10:03Retro Virtual Machine (2) has this feature and I am pretty sure that WinApe has it.
You can't do that with WinAPE.
Last post by TotO - Today at 12:23
Take a look to AMSpiriT, it is probably the more accurate for that:
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?msg=218889
Last post by BSC - Today at 10:03
Retro Virtual Machine (2) has this feature and I am pretty sure that WinApe has it.

Emulators / Is there an emulator where I c...
Last post by eto - Today at 08:46
Is there an emulator in which you can manipulate registers in the UI directly, e.g. those of the CRTC?

Games / Re: Could "Turrican" be made b...
Last post by eto - Today at 07:51
Quote from: lmimmfn on Today at 04:07
Quote from: GUNHED on Today at 02:54It only matters what the Z80 does. The less you shift the screen, the less RAM the Z80 needs to change. The CRTC does it's work independent, like all other chips too.
That's my point really, Z80 has to update the screen and outside of the Z80 processing time the screen is updated via the CRTC.
Which brings me to the point that 2 pixel character screen setup has no advantage over 8 pixel characters  Smooth vertical 1 pixel scrolling is completely independent of vertical char size or 1 byte horizontal scrolling.
That's what I understood from Gunheds post: When you scroll the screen by one character, the CPU has to update that part of the screen, that is shifted out of one border and into the opposite border. Otherwise your screen would not scroll, but roll. With a character height of 8 lines, you have to update 8x 80bytes and with a character height of 2 lines, you have to update only 2x 80bytes. 

What I am still missing: What are the CRTC settings that allow to generate a 320x200 screen with a character height of 2 lines? If that exists, let's try it out.
Quote from: GUNHED on Today at 02:58Eventually you can use the LEDs of the LambdaSpeak.
I don't have that. I used the printer port idea as it's easy to build. 

But I want to check if your idea with the drive LED is feasible. That would be even better, as it means, you can test your screen lag with nothing but your CPC and a smartphone. 
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Gate array decapped!
Last post by jb2590 - Today at 05:28
Yes, I'm sure it should be fairly inexpensive to post. I'm most interested in determining if this supplier is legitimate or not. With the new CPLD option it will certainly ease the necessity to source original chips, but it would be nice to see if the source actually is legitimate and has a good stock of chips available.