News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off topic / Re: Windows 11 forbidden folde...
Last post by MaV - Today at 17:05
Yes, these safety precautions are still in place, and will be for as long as you can execute (ancient) batch files in the cmd shell. Some of these are still useful like NUL (try dir > nul), because it prevents text output when not needed.

Imagine having a directory or file named like that and executing an old batch file that uses one of those names. You'll most probably destroy your original directory or file unintentionally doing that.

And yes, Windows Explorer handles this, just like it did limit file name length in Windows to 256 characters (including the path name) for historical reasons. (Oh, the joyous moments when you copied files via Explorer from directories which have longer names!)
Interestingly enough, the NTFS as such is completely ok with any of that. It's for legacy reasons that Windows cripples is functionality.

It is a remnant from MS-DOS days which in itself is based on QDOS which is derived from CP/M.
Last post by Gryzor - Today at 15:33
Heh I had read about it, funny stuff :D

Funny thing, Explorer will not let me create them under my Windows 11 Pro, however I *can* do it with Directory Opus. What's more Explorer can read them fine. So it's probably something buried within the Explorer code rather than the system.
Yes: " Aside from various hardware and firmware improvements, the CPC 6128 was also compatible with the CP/M+ operating system, making it attractive for business uses. It was the first Amstrad product to be sold in the USA, a market that was traditionally hostile towards European manufacturers. "

See:
https://retrorepairsandrefurbs.com/amstrad-computers/
Last post by GUNHED - Today at 15:30
Pretty far fetched to blame CP/M for a Windows 11 symptome.
C
Last post by cwpab - Today at 15:11
Just tested in Windows 10, no luck.  :'(
Quote from: Prodatron on 14:08, 22 March 24
Quote from: abalore on 08:33, 22 March 24Does it take advantage of the full memory in the system or keeps the CP/M memory limitations?
Well, yes and yes  :) It provides a 63K TPA, and this is the limit for a CP/M application because of the Z80/8080 origin. Maybe it will later shrink to 62K if we need to place some more code on TPA-bank side for speed optimization, but it's still more than you usually have in CP/M Plus.
You can take a look at the famous Dobbertin 63 KB CP/M 2.2 v1.4. It allows to transfer and execute code inside the system bank. That way the 64KB barrier is broken. BTW: It also supports Time Stamps for files (using the Dobbertin Time ROM - which was cloned and enhanced by dxs, see thread in this forum). Nice feature too.
Off topic / Windows 11 forbidden folder na...
Last post by HAL6128 - Today at 14:49
Today I faced something new... maybe you know already know it?
If you want to create in Windows 11 (maybe also in 10,8,7, etc.) a folder name like:
CON, AUX, LST, PRN, NUL, EOF, INP, OUT
...then you will get a error message >> not allowed.

This derived from CP/M (assuming by some people in the net).

Funny thing it is, isn't it? 

(...going to test this on SymbOS ;D )

[left][code]CON: — console (input and output)
AUX: — an auxiliary device. In CP/M 1 and 2, PIP used PUN: (paper tape punch) and RDR: (paper tape reader) instead of AUX:
LST: — list output device, usually the printer
PRN: — as LST:, but lines were numbered, tabs expanded and form feeds added every 60 lines
NUL: — null device, akin to /dev/null
EOF: — input device that produced end-of-file characters, ASCII 0x1A
INP: — custom input device, by default the same as EOF:
OUT: — custom output device, by default the same as NUL:
[/left]

[/code]
Games / Re: Wonderboy Remake?
Last post by OneVision - Today at 14:46
We hope to find the time and energy to complete the game. 
Thanks & all the best! 
Programming / Re: Basic On Mushroom
Last post by GUNHED - Today at 14:42
Well, the above code example already show what I personally dislike regarding programming languages: Lots of needless brackets all over!  :-\

Madrams idea is great: The simplicity of BASIC, brackets reserved for math. And some additional (missing) functions / features.

It could help to start with few commands first, then more commands can be added. Also imho the language could be made in a way to be able to run under different CPC-OS from the beginning. This means: Separate two parts: The language itself - and the part to connect to the underlying OS. Imagine a language which can be used under native Firmware, CP/M, SymbOS and FutureOS.  :o

Regarding mathematics, especially for SQR and SIN/COS/TAN there are quick routines for the Z80 - way quicker compared to the usual BASIC dialects.  :)
Programming / Re: 8BP
Last post by TheElectricMonk - Today at 14:29
Private message sent, let me know if you got it  :)