Recent posts

Quotethe solution is to launch the games with  LiliCPC for USIfAC II  with the support and collaboration of ikonsgr. In previous posts you have the information to install it on a USB and run it. The idea of loading games directly from uncompressed files "fails more than a sideshow shotgun" for multiple reasons.
What are those reasons? Was this not how USB mode was meant to function?

I prefer this over having to setup a PC for accessing files (similar to my M4). The current problem is that direct load games from folders normally with USIFAC via USB work fine, however the File Manager was not able to run some files which have no extension. It seems like something which could be probably fixed up in FM

<edit>
@Ray Post #938 has the link
https://mega.nz/folder/93pR2KiA#qlkiFakrZhSzmko65EbTWw/file/FjwFiA7b
Games / Re: Could "Turrican" be made b...
Last post by lmimmfn - Today at 01:53
Quote from: GUNHED on Yesterday at 20:29
Quote from: andycadley on 21:37, 13 August 22
Quote from: GUNHED on 21:23, 12 August 22
Quote from: lmimmfn on 03:18, 11 August 22
Quote from: GUNHED on 17:37, 10 August 22
Quote from: Axel on 14:28, 08 August 22What tricks could you try to enlarge the game window with the same or better framerate?

- Use screen 64 byte in width (32 x 32 characters in MODE 1, but here MODE 0 would probably look more nice)
- Use CRTC characters only 4 scanlines high, or even better only 2 (instead of 8 like usually), this will make the scrolling more smooth, also gives extra time, because less V-RAM needs to be moved.
- instead of having sprites as data, use something like CoData (I use that for Filmemacher). Basically a program which draws the sprite or graphic element on screen. That's more quick compared to copy data.
- Use more RAM, this enables to unroll routines which contain loops. Also a speed up.

And finally: Do a complete rewrite instead of patching / enhancing / bettenering / etc. of an existing program. Alcon 2020 may serve as a well example for that ;-)

Excuse my ignorance but on
"Use CRTC characters only 4 scanlines high, or even better only 2 (instead of 8 like usually), this will make the scrolling more smooth, also gives extra time, because less V-RAM needs to be moved."
How does that make scrolling smooth? The CRTC has a fixed number of cycles to read the ram separately to the Z80, so how does reducing the character scanlines improve performance if its still a full screen(32x32)?
The CRTC is still working outside of the Z80 for screen refresh so I don't understand the comment.
The regular character line height is 8 scan lines. So you need to transfer data for 8 scanlines every frame in case you want to scroll up or down.
In case you use only 2 scanlines, then you only need to transfer 1/4 of the data. In addition scrolling is more smooth and slower.
Wouldn't that also make the screen 1/4 height? Or am I missing something?
No, just use more character lines. 25 * 8 = 200 scanlines. 100 * 2 = 200 scanlines too.
But why is that different, its the same amount of screen update from the CPU and the CRTC is updating a full screen, where is the saving coming from? Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand.
@shacpc 

Do you have a link to  LiliCPC for USIfAC II I cannot find it 

Thanks

Keep Safe

Ray
Games / Re: Converted GX4000 .cpr - Th...
Last post by iXien - Today at 01:30
And here is a new 'tour de force' from @Urusergi that offers us a new patched version of :

CYBERNOID from Hewson

d-pad = control Cybernoid craft
J1B1 = Fire
J1B2 = Cycle weapons (Bombs, Mines, Shield, Bounce, Seeker)
Pause button = Pause game (Fire 1 = Continue, fire 2 = abort game)

Features :
    - Two versions: Original title screen (McSpe signature removed) and new title screen from C64.
    - Wait for any key to skip title screen.
    - Original YXES cheat remapped on Left, Right, Up, Fire
    - Fire 2 on joypad 1 to cycle weapons.
    - Corrected score bug display and x10 bug (inherited from the original Spectrum version).
    - Corrected word 'RETREIVE' to 'RETRIEVE' in bad end level message.
    - Press fire to skip the highscore table (if no entry, PLAYER1 is used as default name).
    - Pause game with pause button (resume or abort game options).
    - Corrections of McSpe version > MCSPE to original SANDRA entry in high score table, original credits restored

This new version is fully playable with joypad 1 only, with a smart cycling system to choose a weapon, just like on the NES version of the game. It corrects historical bugs of the score display and a problem of the bonus score that was x10 by mistake. Pause button permits to resume game or quit as well and for GX4000 users, PLAYER1 will be used as default name in the highscore table just pressing fire 1 to skip it.

Small additional luxury, this version offers a new title screen based on that of the C64 version, therefore colourful in mode 0. For purists, a version with the original title screen is also available 8) .

The archive includes the first patched version from @Phantomz, and DSK files of the @Urusergi version for CPC users as well as CPR files.

Enjoy one of the most famous CPC games in this ultimate version, bug free, with a new title screen and 100% joypad 1 gameplay ;D .
Games / Re: Converted GX4000 .cpr - Th...
Last post by iXien - Today at 01:18
Quote from: CyrilAmstrad on Yesterday at 17:16
Quote from: RockRiver on 13:47, 07 August 22What about a Prohibition CPC+/gx4000 palette version???
With blue sky, people with not grey skin...
Do you have a example Version to share ? It could be quick done. Cheers
Honestly, not sure that something nice can be done just by patching colours of a game which has been so cleverly thought out for mode 1 with 4 particularly well-chosen colors. But it's only my own opinion of course. But succeeding in making the floppy version requiring 128K work on the GX4000 by compensating the lack of memory by a good use of the ROM standard, it would be really interesting since this 128K version offers additional content :P .
Games / Re: Could "Turrican" be made b...
Last post by eto - Yesterday at 23:24
Quote from: GUNHED on Yesterday at 20:29No, just use more character lines. 25 * 8 = 200 scanlines. 100 * 2 = 200 scanlines too.
can you share the right CRTC settings? I tried but I won't get a proper screen.
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: USIfAC II:Convert a PC or ...
Last post by shacpc - Yesterday at 22:43
Quote from: darkhalf on Yesterday at 14:17Thanks for checking. I'm using a 64MB USB stick (yes it is very old!) formatted to FAT just to make sure it is all good
Example game is Aaargh! attached. This comes from the CPCGamesCD_20200330.iso compilation. Many direct load games in here
As is direct load, and the main file AAARGH can be run fine from the ready prompt (run "AAARGH) but will not work from the file manager
I'm not sure if we can attach files here still?
the solution is to launch the games with  LiliCPC for USIfAC II  with the support and collaboration of ikonsgr. In previous posts you have the information to install it on a USB and run it. The idea of loading games directly from uncompressed files "fails more than a sideshow shotgun" for multiple reasons.
yes dear Gunhed. i received two articles.
Vortex FDC will be great certainly... i want to buy one it.
best regards
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Easiest way to turn on/off...
Last post by eto - Yesterday at 21:52
Quote from: andycadley on Yesterday at 17:28The printer port maybe?
can I turn on a pin so that it stays on?
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Easiest way to turn on/off...
Last post by eto - Yesterday at 21:51
Quote from: GUNHED on Yesterday at 21:11You can use the LED of the floppy drive. Just program the FDC in the desired way (selecting drive). No need to switch the drive on, just the a few outs to the FDC.
Will this be instant? Or is there a time delay until the LED turns on?