News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Logo was big on the BBC and the BBC was big in schools, so Logo was being taught across the country. Amstrad probably considered it a "must have" if they were to break into the education market. Especially as the CPC also had a price advantage over the BBC.

Bryce.
I think I would have changed it anyway. There are very few things that could have blown the fuse and it's one of them. It's old and capacitors degrade over time.

Bryce.
Games / Re: Galastrad - [ wip ]
Last post by eto - Today at 08:22
That's MPAGD? Impressive...

Regarding the menu I would love if the game can be started without a keyboard. That helps on the GX4000 but also on handheld emulators. 
Quote from: Josip on Today at 07:31Tried with many programmers and non of them work, except Pickit 3.
With PL2303 had sam issues like you.
So try to find if some of your friends have Pickit.
it's a crapshoot trying to find a pl2303 that works - the drivers for modern systems have code to brick fake pl2303 devices - your best bet is to find a cheap (and known genuine) one, or get a pickit3 and program it that way.
Welcome! Have fun here :)
That is a very nice setup indeed. I eventually gave up looking for a 6128 Plus for myself and settled for a 464 Plus and bunged some extra memory in it. It does the trick but the 6128 Plus does look especially smart.

The Joycart is a neat idea. I should probably get a case for my M4 sometime, too. 
Tried with many programmers and non of them work, except Pickit 3.
With PL2303 had sam issues like you.
So try to find if some of your friends have Pickit.
I grew up in Auckland and we had BBCs at school but probably a good 20% of home computers in 1986 would have been CPCs. I used to regularly go to the Computer Terminal in Highbury and they sold heaps of CPCs.
I got a sega sc3000h and c64c after I got my cpc but they weren't successors, that would be an Amiga 500.  My cpc is still the most fun computer I have outside of video games.
Dear @ikonsgr,
dear CPC friends,

After testing my ULIfAC extensively for a while, I can really recommend it to every CPC user. Basically, the device does what it is supposed to do very well, even if it seems to have a few "teething troubles" here and there, at least in my case. I'll list these little "problems" one by one here:

Firstly: This is version 3 of the ULIfAC, when switching on the screen shows that the device is equipped with version 3b.

The user manual states that automatic activation of USB is activated by default, this is apparently not the case with my ULIfAC and I have not yet been able to find out how to change this. I have copied the ROM configuration 464-to-6128 along with a few games onto a USB stick. The config.txt is created correctly according to the description. After switching on the CPC with the ULIfAC connected and the USB stick inserted, I get a message on the screen that no USB device is present. If I then type |usb, I get confirmation that the stick is now active. If I now press the reset button on the ULIfAC, the CPC boots directly into the 6128-Rom, as desired. Normally this should work automatically, but how do I do this? Is there any way to completely reset the ULIfAC to the default settings? 

Since the file ULIFAC_FINAL3b.zip in the dropbox of @ikonsgr was apparently updated, I had the idea to reflash the firmware as described in the current version of the user manual. Unfortunately, this did not work, or I am doing something wrong. I connected the PL2303TA to the ULIfAC as shown in the first attached picture. Windows apparently also recognizes the ULIfAC with usb2serial cable as a device with virtual COM port (COM3), it is listed in the device manager as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3)".

If I now try to carry out the flashing by selecting the corresponding COM port and the baud rate of 115200 bps specified in the user manual and clicking on "Write Device" and then immediately pressing the reset button on the ULIfAC, the process does not start. Instead, the "Tiny Multi Bootloader+" displays the error message "No Device Detected", as can be seen in the second picture. It does not work under Windows 10 or Windows 11. What is the reason for this? Maybe because the same firmware is already installed? Or is the actual bootloader missing on the ULIfAC? As I said, the installed version is version 3b and I haven't done anything to the device yet.
Apart from these rather minor problems, the device has worked pretty well so far. Nevertheless, the problems bother me a little.

Btw: The joyport adapter from @ikonsgr is also excellent. It ensures that my ArcadeR joystick now works properly on the CPC, including auto-fire, even if I rarely use the latter. I am very pleased. :)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards from Germany

Constantin