News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Hardcore Hardware Patch Z84C - OUT(C),0

Someone tell me if the CMOS output can be shorted with impunity.
i have now also fitted the external drive connector and was wondering if i need to do anything to make it the default A drive? i followed the guide with the wire from a pin of the internal drive but it just makes the disc access unreliable.
Programming / Re: triple buffering
Last post by roudoudou - Today at 20:30
in a demo, lag has no meaning

in a game... ;D

that's why emulator authors try to reduce lag...

...sometimes :P
D
Programming / Re: triple buffering
Last post by djaybee - Today at 19:44
Quote from: McArti0 on Today at 14:18Fast gameplay 50fps with huge explosions . You need to copy 10kB to screen.
Oh, interesting, I hadn't considered that explicitly. Essentially, if most frames take well less than 20ms but some take more than that, having a triple buffer allows to "borrow" time from a short frame into a long latter one.

I think I once did something like that in a demo for the Atari ST: my code took near-constant time, but the music player I used didn't, and I made it so that the average would fit in my 20ms budget (40064 NOPs on the ST). Overall, the delay never added up to more than the size of the bottom + top borders, so my frame boundary never crossed into the visible part of the display.
S
Games / Re: CPC Formula 1 [WIP]
Last post by sigh - Today at 18:35
Quote from: andycadley on Today at 18:27
Quote from: sigh on Today at 17:08
Quote from: andycadley on Today at 16:29
Quote from: sigh on Today at 15:36Was thinking that with the mode 1 graphics, you would have more graphics space for sprites?
It doesn't really work like that, Mode 1 has twice the horizontal resolution and half the colours, so the end result is graphics take the same amount of memory to fill the same physical space

You could save memory by reducing the colour depth of stored graphics and converting them on the fly but that loses speed (and it doesn't really matter what the target Mode is at that point).

Then I have been completely wrong all this time!

I thought a mode 0 sprite sheet that is 160x200 was 8kb and a mode 1 sprite sheet that is 320x200 was also 8kb?
160*200*16 = ~16K
320*200*4 = ~16K

You have to drop in colour depth or resolution to actually save memory.
Sorry - I think I may have muddled up everything by not explaining well. I meant that you can fit more sprites in mode 1.
For instance - if I were to draw a sprite that is 16*16, I would be able to fit more on the mode 1 sheet.
A
Last post by andycadley - Today at 18:27
Quote from: sigh on Today at 17:08
Quote from: sigh on Today at 15:36Was thinking that with the mode 1 graphics, you would have more graphics space for sprites?
It doesn't really work like that, Mode 1 has twice the horizontal resolution and half the colours, so the end result is graphics take the same amount of memory to fill the same physical space

You could save memory by reducing the colour depth of stored graphics and converting them on the fly but that loses speed (and it doesn't really matter what the target Mode is at that point).

I thought a mode 0 sprite sheet that is 160x200 was 8kb and a mode 1 sprite sheet that is 320x200 was also 8kb?
160*200*16 = ~16K
320*200*4 = ~16K

You have to drop in colour depth or resolution to actually save memory.
Thank you.
Quote from: VincentGR on Today at 09:22Can you also test Relentless? (sound)
GamePlay work. Sound noise (Intro and Game).
S
Last post by sigh - Today at 17:08

A
Last post by andycadley - Today at 16:29