News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

People who can produce anything at all from the 2600 are absolute legends, it's an insane system to even consider.

Quote from: ZorrO on Today at 19:45@andycadley - You are wrong about colors in 320x200 in C64. There is a whole byte for colors in the letter. 4 bits for background and 4 bits for pen. And ZX has 3 bits for background and 3 bits for pen. For example, it cannot use light and dark green in one letter, but C64 can. It's 160x200, in C64 we have 4 colors per letter, including one common to the entire screen. This allows you to flash whole screen by modifying one byte, which ZX cannot do. And ZX does not have option to use 4 colors per letter.

Nope. The C64 Color RAM is only 4 bit, which means in high res character mode you can have all 16 colours with a limit of 1 chosen colour per 8*8 cell and 1 entirely shared background colour.

You can get more colours on screen by using multicolour character mode. In that case you have a shared background colour and two other shared character colours, the fourth colour is selectable on a per character basis but can only be chosen from the first 8 colours. Why 8? Well it's because the upper bit of the four bit colour RAM is instead used to indicate whether the character should be hig or low res. High res characters can only use the shared background colour and the per character colour though.

There's also Extended Multicoloured Character mode, in which case the number of characters available on screen is reduced from 256 down to just 64 and the spare 2 bits of each character code is instead used to select one of four background colours.

There are also two bitmap modes which allow more flexible colour placement at the expense of using a lot more RAM (thus really only being suitable for static images given the lack of CPU grunt)

Standard bitmap mode allows 2 colours per 8*8 cell, but you can select the two colours independently from the full 16 colour set.

Multicolour bitmap mode allows 4 colours per 8*8 cell each of which can be any of the 16 available. One is the shared background colour, the other three selectable per cell

Meanwhile the Spectrum has a much simpler display, it's a pure bitmap but colours come from it's attribute RAM. Each 8*8 cell can specify freely one of the 8 colours for the background and one of the 8 colours for the foreground. A single bit allows choosing either "bright" or "non bright" colours (which applies to both foreground and background) and another bit can periodically switch the foreground/background colours to make a flashing effect.

And, of course, none of these are as flexible as our humble CPC which can use either 2, 4 or 16 colours per pixel dependent on screen resolution without any restrictions on how many colours can be in any one area, nor on which of the available colours they can be.
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Amstrad CPC WiFi
Last post by flibblesan - Today at 21:59
Quote from: Xyphoe on Today at 21:05
Quote from: GUNHED on Today at 15:08Can it be the case that you need a stronger network signal - means: moving M4 and WiFi closer together?

Give it a try!  :)

Heh, it's literally right next the main router and Mesh node - 1ft away from it.  :D The wifi signal is really strong.

As far as I know, the M4 only supports 2.4GHz WiFi networks or the b/g/n type due to the ESP chip, so make sure your router is providing that and not just 5GHz.
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Amstrad CPC WiFi
Last post by Xyphoe - Today at 21:05
Quote from: GUNHED on Today at 15:08Can it be the case that you need a stronger network signal - means: moving M4 and WiFi closer together?

Give it a try!  :)

Heh, it's literally right next the main router and Mesh node - 1ft away from it.  :D The wifi signal is really strong.
Games / Re: Le Dernier Serment (The La...
Last post by Narkhos - Today at 20:29
Quote from: Targhan on Today at 10:38@Narkhos It is working on my CPC, thanks!!! Without surprise, it looks even better than an emulator. I probably won't play in on a real CPC since it has no savegame :(. But I'll continue my game on emulator and is dedicated to finishing it :).
Thank you for your feedback! Are you using an original Amstrad cpc screen?

@asertus I will try my best to add this feature, but I'm short in space both in memory and on the disk. Not to mention that I don't yet know how to save to disk from a c/asm program  :laugh:
D
Programming / Re: Respect for CPC game progr...
Last post by djaybee - Today at 20:25
Quote from: McArti0 on Today at 20:19
Quote from: djaybee on Today at 20:08(Amiga, maybe?)
most probably.
Actually, I'm guessing Atari Falcon. I had a Falcon, but no Amiga, and I remember playing it on my own hardware.
Last post by McArti0 - Today at 20:21
Quote from: djaybee on Today at 20:08It smells of some fun CRTC trickery
some have sprites, others have crtc  :D
Last post by McArti0 - Today at 20:19
Quote from: djaybee on Today at 20:08(Amiga, maybe?)
most probably.
cheap fake DIP 40 for all? ;D
Chinese don't care about it. :D